Meteor Grey CX-5 caliper color?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I'm thinking of painting the calipers on my meteor grey CX-5. I already have the Duplicolor Red caliper paint kit. What do you guys think of this idea? Too over done, the red caliper thing? Should look good and play off the bit of red at the tail lights a bit is my thought. Does any one have a picture of a grey CX-5 with painted calipers? Any and all input appreciated.

Couldn't really find any red calipers doing a quick Google search, but I did find yellow calipers, so I quickly threw them in Photoshop. Not the best idea, especially since neither car is Meteor Grey, nor has the 2016 wheels, but I guess it gives somewhat of an idea.

Also, found blue 'concept' CX-5 from Mazda that has red calipers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

mazda-cx-5-180-attends-sema-photo-gallery_1.jpg

..and just quickly edited it to a dark grey color:

attachment.php

Attachments

• cx5 red caliper-2.png
    cx5 red caliper-2.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 9,032
  • cx5 red caliper-1.png
    cx5 red caliper-1.png
    473 KB · Views: 18,898
  • cx5 red caliper-3.png
    cx5 red caliper-3.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 9,677
Last edited:
I shied away from painting them any color as the brake package looks hilariously small and pathetic, especially given the side piston calipers. No need to catch any more attention.

I would assume that it looks as bad as wearing tight and thin Speedos with a below average size package.

mine are painted yellow, love the look of them and being different, however, if I had to do it all over again I would have not painted them for 2 reasons. 1 they constantly have to be cleaned to keep its original color and 2, when changing a tire you have to be extra careful to not hit the caliper and chip them which has happened to me numerous times, mostly due to mechanic error. if you do decide to paint them, I recommend finding a good degreaser and a paint brush.

I'm thinking of painting the calipers on my meteor grey CX-5. I already have the Duplicolor Red caliper paint kit. What do you guys think of this idea? Too over done, the red caliper thing? Should look good and play off the bit of red at the tail lights a bit is my thought. Does any one have a picture of a grey CX-5 with painted calipers? Any and all input appreciated.

Unpainted or flat black calipers will radiate heat better. I wouldn't paint them any color that would show brake dust.

That said, the brakes on the CX-5 have great performance and it would be pretty difficult to over-heat them. Personally, I have better ways to spend my productive time than painting parts that don't need to be painted.

It's your car. If you like red, go for it. It's all about making your own expression of what you want your car to be.

I haven't paint the caliper on my CX-5 yet but I did on my other car with just the original silver and it seem to help with the caliper not looking rusted for 10+ years now.

Thanks for the photoshop pics! I ordered up a G2 Caliper paint kit in red and will be painting them soon. To each his own I guess, some don't like it, I do. I know it serves no purpose what so ever but I like setting the car apart a little bit from the rest of the crowd. I just don't like having the exact same car as soccer mom Nancy so I try to personalize my cars a little bit. So far I have front window tint and will painting the calipers. I'd like to get the H&R springs to give it a subtle drop but that will be hard to get by the wife since the car is brand new. I'll probably get wheel spacers since I really like the OEM wheels but would like a wider stance.

Wheel spacers are definitely right up there on my list of upgrades once we get the car! I'll be very interested to see how your calipers turn out. After doing those quick photoshops, I'm not totally sold on red calipers, but I can see your 'vision', so any photos would be greatly appreciated.

I think I remember reading that you had already updated your exhaust tips?

Wheel spacers are definitely right up there on my list of upgrades once we get the car! I'll be very interested to see how your calipers turn out. After doing those quick photoshops, I'm not totally sold on red calipers, but I can see your 'vision', so any photos would be greatly appreciated.

I think I remember reading that you had already updated your exhaust tips?

I'll get pics posted once I actually paint the calipers, might be a few weeks yet as we're in the middle of a basement remodel.

And I didn't change out the exhaust tips or install new sleeves or anything like that, all I did was polish the stock tips to a mirror polish. Was pretty easy actually using metal polish and some #0000 steel wool. Took about 15-20min per tip. My wife liked it so much on my car I polished the exhaust tips on her 2003 A4 and got similar results out of those.

Back