Need help for protege5 suspension options!

Joshfalk

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys!

I've got an 03 P5 and I've decided to start going on some suspension upgrades for her. ( And I'd like some opinions from you guys) So she handles great right now but after reading some threads I've realized that there's some upgrade's out there that'll help me carve corners a little better. So my current setup is: completely stock suspension with 225/45/17 tires on RPM rims. Here's what it looks like:

IMG_20140927_163521.jpg

First thing I want to do: upgrade the rear sway bar because I know the stock ones pretty skinny, I want to get the Progress 22mm one because I've heard its the beefiest one out there for a P5. I've heard some people say that if you bolt up an aftermarket sway bar to the stock sway bar mounting brackets they could break off because there pretty small. So should I do it? and maybe reinforce it? Are there better sway bars out there?

Here's the link: http://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/41/sfID3/138/productID/446

Next thing! I want to get Racing Beat springs, and my decision right now is to throw them on my stock struts because there not much of a drop in height and the stock struts should be able to handle it right? And I chose the RB springs because I personally hate the "slammed" look, so my main focus is on handling and I've heard things springs help. Should I run them on my stock struts?? Any other good springs with a minimal drop?

Or should I just get new struts while I'm at it? Everyone on here talk about getting Tokico HP's and how good they are but i cant find a decent price for them anywhere so I've looked into some other ones. Anyone running Stagg struts? I know there cheap but they have pretty good reviews, any other struts for a fair price?

Any other suspension mods I'm missing? Give me you opinions!

Thanks! (wiggle)

-Josh

I highly recommend the progress rear bar. So much fun. I havent had any problems with mine so far. Some have and I can definately see why, but as long as you take it easy going over speedbumps and driveways and avoid potholes, you will probably be fine as well. I also run my swaybar links on the outside because it seems to apply the force more into the strut body rather than around it. Id like to know some of your guys' opinions on my theory.

I have the progress rr sway and ran it with stock struts for awhile before getting Tokico Illuminas. Never had any issues with it with either set of struts or it making any noise. Car is lowered 1.5 and no issues hitting lateral links. It will give you 3 wheel motion entering sloped driveways or parking lots at angles. After about 8 yrs or more lost a bolt from one side of the bracket and the torque on the bar eventually broke the bracket but that was my bad for not checking on it. Got new set of brackets and have a spare so it's ready to go another 15 yrs. I don't consider that an issue with the bar tho.

my suggestion: progress rear sway bar, tokico illuminas, and tein s-tech springs. suspension complete. might have some rubbing with your tire size, but a mild fender roll should clear that right up fine.

Aww, damn, got espelirs instead of teins......will have to make due, lol. Rollin on 205/40/17s on mine so no rubbing all the way to bump stop.

How much of a drop are tein s techs? And where could I find a good deal for all of that?

Oh and one other thing, how do you check it your struts are on there way out? Im not sure if mine are still stock but I don't want to put new springs on them if the struts are shot

I'm about to post my used Espelir springs FS here very soon.

I've been loving them since 2005 but I recently changed my rims with +40 offset and now the 195/50/16 tires rub in the rear. I once had 205/40/17 tires on mazda3 17" rims and they never rubbed because there was enough offset. I looked up your wheel and am sure your 225/45/17 tires will rub because that RPM rim is +40 offset. You'll need to roll the rear fenders at least and maybe pull them out too or get coilovers that allow you to adjust rear camber and tuck them in. See this old thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?9129-Rishie-s-FITMENT-RECIPE/page51

I talked to Jim Langer at Racing Beat and he said the Tokico HP struts won't be available to purchase from him until mid August. He said it's been tough the past couple of years because Tokico was forced to find a new distributor in the US.

Last edited:
Okay but the racing beat springs that I want to get are only like 3/4'' drop all around, would they still rub?

(sorry if you already mentioned it, I didn't read the whole thread)

What is the width and offset of your wheels? 225 is pushing it for a stock-fendered P5. You might have to get some spacers and roll 'em

There 177 rims and offset is 40mm, i really don't want to have to do all that, all I really want is is a bit better handling...

Back