2011 Roof Racks

brad.cogar

:
2011 CX-9 Touring AWD
I want to put some roof racks on my CX-9 and I saw that the factory racks are made to hold only 100 lbs. Is there an aftermarket option that wouldn't cost too much more that would hold more weight?

When you say the weight limit is 100lbs--of which components? The "roof rack" is 2 separate parts--the roof rails that run front to back, PLUS the cross bars. I wonder if the cross bars have the weight limit. If so, you could get the roof rails, and get an aftermarket cross bar. Have you looked into Thule products? You can get aftermarket roof racks like that at Sears or REI; probably Eastern Mountain Sports or even Dick's.

you could get the roof rails, and get an aftermarket cross bar.
You can get an aftermarket crossbar but you would still be limited by the weight limit of the factory roof rails. I believe they are limited to 100 lbs.

I want to put some roof racks on my CX-9 and I saw that the factory racks are made to hold only 100 lbs. Is there an aftermarket option that wouldn't cost too much more that would hold more weight?

If you already have factory rails, the various aftermarket crossbars are limited by the ability of the rails - 100lbs.

If you are willing to go totally non-OEM, Thule, Yakima and others have complete systems with higher weight limits. But, I tried one (Thule) and it didn't look great. Plus, the factory "fixed points" on the CX-9 are too far apart for certain uses. I sent mine back.

Thule%252520-%2525203.jpg

Thule%252520-%2525201.jpg

I like factory rails and they are pretty stout although not as sold as Thule and Yakima. I think the 100 lb rating is conservative/safety rating as I've had 2 kayaks on my OEM bars weighting about 140 lbs with no flexing or problem.

I really think it's the cross bars that have the 100 pound limit not the rails. All the documentation I see, when I read the 100 pound limit, is noted with the cross bar description.

why the hell would you want to put 100LBS+ on the roof to begin with. Put heavier items in the trunk....bigger, lighter up top. I am sure any rack will hold 200LBS easily...that's not the issue....manufacturers are putting those restrictions on paper because of safety issues .....actually ...there should be a regulation restricting any excessive weight outside of the vehicle. It's not safe for you having that much weight that high above center of gravity and it's certainly not safe for the car you are hitting in the accident ....in a collision there is no mounting solution that will hold 150+LBS in place...you essentially have a little missile launcher on your roof if you put too much weight there.

why the hell would you want to put 100LBS+ on the roof to begin with. Put heavier items in the trunk....bigger, lighter up top. I am sure any rack will hold 200LBS easily...that's not the issue....manufacturers are putting those restrictions on paper because of safety issues .....actually ...there should be a regulation restricting any excessive weight outside of the vehicle. It's not safe for you having that much weight that high above center of gravity and it's certainly not safe for the car you are hitting in the accident ....in a collision there is no mounting solution that will hold 150+LBS in place...you essentially have a little missile launcher on your roof if you put too much weight there.

Well, in my case, skis. I just can't fit them in the car when mu wife takes the kids. So she needs the roof box (50 pounds) and 5 pairs of skis, about 12 pounds a piece. So just over a 100 pounds.

Ok, just picked up sky box 16 at rei garage sale...yeh, that s*** is heavy....50 maybe 60 lbs is max I would put inside

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back