2016 infotainment random crash / hard reset

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
Took the Mazda to the shore and back this past weekend, and on the way home (approx 3 hour drive) the entire infotainment system randomly reset (like when you first start up the car with the initial Mazda logo and the warning message). I chalked it up to a fluke, but then it hard reset 3 more times during the course of our 3 hour drive. Also, once or twice it reset the navigation, but not the entire computer. A little annoying...

Anyone else experience this?

I did have mine do that within the last week. I just happened to look over at it, and was looking at the "Acceptance" screen while it had already been on for an hour or so. I had the music turned all the way down so I didn't hear if it cut out the music as well. I have also had mine wipe out all my saved stations (only once so far).

I've had mine shut off once while driving and then come back on about 30 seconds later. No settings were lost, though.

Navigation blacked out on my wife once, haven't taken to dealer yet.

Now you mention it, I remember ours did this once this too a week or so after purchase. I was almost home and once I got there, I turned the engine off and back on and the screen was fine since.

This was the first time we experienced the reset issue though.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a common problem with the 2016s...

Problem with dealer is you usually have to replicate it which may not be easy to do.

Last edited:
3 months in with our 2016 GT with Tech and the entertainment/nav system has completely rebooted while driving once. Twice, I have had nav with just a black screen. Both times, shutting the engine off and starting again brought it back. I didn't know about the reboot key combo. It has been ok for the last month or so however.

To be fair, my I-Drive system has done it maybe 5 times in 6 years. My old Galaxy S3 and S4 did this as well. After reading this, I suspect that this isn't a rarity and probably a self imposed reboot.

i think full infotainment reboot happened once, maybe. i get the black out nav (kinda like a frozen screen) occasionally (although hasn't happened all week). usually i don't have to turn everything off....just take the SDcard out, wait 5 secs, then insert it back in and 75% time it comes back. but, honestly this hasn't happened in a while for me.....with almost all new tech, there are a few bugs.

So while it was in for an oil change I told the service manager about the crashing issue - it did it twice on my 25 minute drive into the dealer. It seems to crash most often when I have Navigation and Bluetooth music on at the same time.

They told me I had the most recent software installed, but they decided to call Mazda anyway. Apparently Mazda said they are aware of the issue and they have a patch available. The dealer is downloading it from them now and should be installing it shortly. Fingers crossed that it fixes the issue.

So while it was in for an oil change I told the service manager about the crashing issue - it did it twice on my 25 minute drive into the dealer. It seems to crash most often when I have Navigation and Bluetooth music on at the same time.

They told me I had the most recent software installed, but they decided to call Mazda anyway. Apparently Mazda said they are aware of the issue and they have a patch available. The dealer is downloading it from them now and should be installing it shortly. Fingers crossed that it fixes the issue.
Thanks for the update. I guess I should visit my dealer as well.

Probably - when I made my original post I wasn't sure. If a mod wants to move it please feel free, I just figured this section would have a little more traffic.

FWIW here is the new version info:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 1,402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 1,051
Yeah, from the main menu go to -> settings -> select "system" tab on far right -> scroll to the very bottom and select "about" -> then click on "version information"

Thanks for posting this! I just checked ours and it is also on version 51. How long did it take them to update it?

I was there a couple hours - at first they said I had the most up to date version, but then they called Mazda to make sure. Mazda gave them the version 55. They downloaded it onto a stick and updated my car with it. They said I was the first one getting this new version there but now that they have it they will be updating their inventory with it to lessen future service calls from other buyers.

So don't be surprised if they tell you there isn't a new version out there, ask that they call Mazda and get it from them. I think most of my time there was from the dealer trying to talk and download it from Mazda.

Last edited:
Day 4 of ownership in the 2016 and it locked up on the warning screen. Had to restart the car ... Is there a way to reboot without shutting down the car engine? While driving?

Nope....not that I'm aware of anyway.

So far so good - no crashing issues yet. Next weekend we are going to the shore again so I'll report back as that will be a 2 hour drive. Should make for a good test.

Well here is another interesting tid-bit .... If I have group texts in my phone .... Mazdas OS Version .51 says cannot update texts and will not import or connect to text messaging when phone connects. Everything else Bluetooth works ... But no texts . I wonder if updating to OS .55 would address this?

Back