custom cold air intake

TUN3R

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Alright idk if its been done but id like to put a vstack in my drivers side foglight hole and run piping up thru the hole for cai to go and make a custom box and have my injen intake run thru the side and have my cone filter sit inside the custom box. Any ideas on how that hold up in the rain? would i have any power gain? I thinks it would look sick.

Sounds like a lot of work when an msp turbo system can be had for $1000. 100% bolton.. intake/ exhaust aren't gonna add up to much unless you have everything. Header, cams, tune ect.
Turbo much better bang for dollar spent and lots of msps getting parted out. I really mean it when I say 100% bolt on. Ill be swapping mine in my build thread soon and take lots of pics.

I plan to turbo it after i rebuild The motor but for now im staying n/a. I can make everything for about 10 bucks. Maybe less cause i have stuff laying around. Im more curious about water locking. power isnt what im going for at the moment Being im having a baby. I just think it would look sick and be something ive never seen on a p5.

Your car already has a "cold air intake." It's a half-assed ram air setup, really. There's very little evidence that aftermarket intakes do much of anything.

You pretty much have to submerge the whole filter to hydrolock the engine.. If the filter gets soaked it may stall and run like s*** though, so you'll want to make sure that the inner fender is fastened well and in good shape.

It sounds to me like your decision is already made. Go for it, do something different, and post pics so we can see it.

If you put the box under the hood, you'll have no problems. Like Giggles said, you have to submerge the filter to hydrolock the engine.

As far as the stock "cold air ram intake", it's pos. The biggest flaw is the air tube from the filter to the engine will eventually crack, if it hasn't already. And the stock intake is a lot more restrictive than any aftermarket system. You will get a slight power boost with any cai vs the stock setup, but it won't be noticeable, 3-10 hp at best. Most noticeable will be the sound difference

If the air intake system is tight (no leaks) - once you submerge the INLET (down by the fog light) and the engine is running - you will hydro-lock the engine.

AEM makes a water bypass valve. Just include that function in your design. ;)

I have an injen cai it just doesnt go down in the fender. i wanted to box in my cone filter under the hood and run pipe from the vstack to the custom inclosed box where my injen was boxed in. Im strongly thinking about just going turbo tho after valk mentioned it i started doing looking around and found a wrecked msp in my town that still has engine turbo and trans with only 62745 miles. guy wants 700 as a parts car. and its smashed in in the rear fronts fine. but i will be doing it to my bros 01 protege so ill take some pics and make a dyi thread.

I'll have to 2nd the 505 intake. Diggin mine. Also did the MSP lip recently ditching the fogs and just gonna leave the opening alone and let the intake suck air in on it's own. Plenty will get there.

323F_mtr_02.JPG

Road debris took out the bottom corner of bumper on passenger side so it got new bumper skin and 03.5 MSP lip. Hopefully it will get some 22v up on it soon.............

needspaint_02.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for all the help guys im doing my bros this weekend i think imma just drop the vstack part. Did the msp lip fit the p5 bumper with any crazy modifications? did you just remove the fogs and it fit or did you have to trim it up? I bought the parts car and i am using the bumper from it bit my i gave my bro the p5 bumper and he wants the speed lip.

Yes, the MSP lip bolts to the P5 bumper using the 3 fog light bracket holes. It has some big wide thick double-sided tape across the top edge of it in the lower grill area and a strip on each side along the top edge bewtween wheel well and front corner where it meets the bumper. Also mounts inside wheel well with bottom screw that holds wheel well liner in place. Around the bottom of it, all the plastice splash shields screw into it and the oem little air dam under the car bolts thru the lip with 2 of it's 10mm bolts. After it is installed to the bumper the bumper/lip are all one piece that can be removed from car as whole unit after undoing the side brackets, grill screws and the ones down along the front of lip and the ww liner screws.

Back