Metallic belt pulley noise when accelerating, 1.8L

teneighty

:
2000 Mazda Protege
I just got this 1.8L 2000 mazda protege a few weeks ago. I detected this noise just slightly when I test drove it, but it has become much louder. Does anyone know what this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DqmIOpgkQk

Today it's warm and dry out, and it was actually louder, probably a bit higher pitch to it, than the cooler dry day when I recorded the sound.

It happens ONLY when the engine is under load, but it sounds like a belt or pulley bearing. I set the park brake, reved and let the clutch drag to simulate conditions just to make the audio recording. I took the alternator water pump belt off, and could not get it to make the noise. There was a little bit of play in the water pump, so even though it seemed strange that it only happened when under load, like accelerating or cruising at 70kph / 40mph which puts the tach at about the perfect 2000rpm, I changed it. While I was at it, the timing belt too. Oh, my, word, when I was all done, it sounded exactly the same! I'm at a bit of a loss, it's annoying.

The only thing I can think of, is the timing belt cover is a bit broken, one bolt is missing, and the cover has been rubbing the water pump pulley. Could it be resonating at 1000rpm, and the harmonic at 2000rpm, kind of like rubbing the rim of a wine glass? But that still doesn't explain why there has to be load on the engine to produce the sound. The water pump pulley makes a nice resonant dinging sound when tapped, it seems like it might be capable of producing a sound like that, but if it depends on load on the engine, maybe it should have something to do with the crank shaft, or crank shaft pulley. Or maybe it has nothing to do with belts or pulleys at all, I havn't actually been able to feather the clutch and stand over the engine by myself, and it doesn't sound like a very safe thing to have someone do either.

Hopefully someone has heard this before.

Ok, I have come up with a couple of possible causes based on research.

Piston rings noise..?

Exhaust leak..?

I'm going to buy a compression tester and do a compression test at some point.

The only thing I can think of, is the timing belt cover is a bit broken, one bolt is missing, and the cover has been rubbing the water pump pulley. Could it be resonating at 1000rpm, and the harmonic at 2000rpm, kind of like rubbing the rim of a wine glass?

Why don't you pick up a TB cover and bolt and install them? You need them anyway and that will eliminate their absence as a cause of the noise. It sounds plausible to me.

Latest posts

Back