2000 protege engine swap

looks like so far, you will need to swap the valve cover from the 1.8 to the 2.0, and use the 1.8 ignition setup, and from what I can see using the parts catalog at my work, which is mazda, you will need to use the 2.0 transmission too. I dont know why, since I was under the impression that they are almost identical in being similar lower end, and had been told that they bolt straight in, but I happen to have a 2000 protege es myself, and a 2.0 engine and transmission that I will be swapping in over the next few days. I'd be more than willing to take photos of progress for you, and I will try to see if the 2.0 will bolt up to the 1.8 even tho the parts catalog shows different parts including that metal shim between the engine and trans

A1t9pYDpKdPuhsdV7

and this is the vehicle donating the 2.0.
holy crap I just saw how long ago that this was posted...

uTPCLe1YBzsZ24aG8

Hey I know this was from awhile ago.. But how did the swap from the 1.8 to 2.0 go? I am about to have to swap do to a rotted frame on one and the other needs a motor an trans so I'm just going to build one from those two, anything I should know ahead of time?

Back