Anyone riding on Tein Street Basis or Street Advance dampers?

aeroboy

:
2011 Mazda 5 2.0 2WD (CW) 5AT
Last edited:
You're talking just dampers, not dampers and springs right? Why won't Koni honor their warranty? Or is it just such a PITA to get the failed damper off the car and shipped back to them that it isn't worth the effort? I've been very happy with the Koni Yellows so far, (thats the Koni Sport damper fyi)

You're talking just dampers, not dampers and springs right? Why won't Koni honor their warranty? Or is it just such a PITA to get the failed damper off the car and shipped back to them that it isn't worth the effort? I've been very happy with the Koni Yellows so far, (thats the Koni Sport damper fyi)

are you running the koni yellows with stock springs?

Yes, stock springs. After replacing the upper mounts (again) two weeks ago the ride is finally what it should have been all along. I have been running them one full turn back from full soft and they are Goldilocks perfect

Yes, stock springs. After replacing the upper mounts (again) two weeks ago the ride is finally what it should have been all along. I have been running them one full turn back from full soft and they are Goldilocks perfect

thanks

I just replaced my original rear shocks with the Bilstein mazda/volvo v50
Heavy Duty Series Rear (24-196529)= V-50
it's only been a couple weeks but so far they are great.
I wanted to go with something that was beefier than OE because we load up for weekend trips and occasionally tow a small camper.
The HD series fronts are expensive and i'm not sure if they're really needed. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Sorry. My bad choice of words. The Teins are coilovers.
As for warranty, the local distributor here does not provide the same level of warranty as I've seen as in other countries.

The Teins are serviceable is my understanding. So looking out for other options and feedback from others.

I just replaced my original rear shocks with the Bilstein mazda/volvo v50
Heavy Duty Series Rear (24-196529)= V-50
it's only been a couple weeks but so far they are great.
I wanted to go with something that was beefier than OE because we load up for weekend trips and occasionally tow a small camper.
The HD series fronts are expensive and i'm not sure if they're really needed. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm using Bilsteins on my other ride. However, I don't see a part num for the M5? I have the M5 CW.

Does the one above fit the CW? or the previous generation .. where it shares the similar platform with Ford.

this page of the forum helped me find Bilstein's that fit our '09 M5

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123797460.html

Thanks! Has anyone fitted these on the current 2010+ M5 models? Do they fit/share the same design as the previous gen?

I love my M5, I'm just utterly disappointed by the OE shocks.

Link to Tein info for the M5 (hi-lo / soft-hard adjustables):
http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/street_advance.html
http://www.tein.co.jp/srch/eng_sear...default&item=STREETADVANCE&restype=1&allvch=0

I have used Tein Super Street on my other car, with the bump stop trimmed, and set 5 clicks from soft, they are such a smooth ride, i wonder how the lower end Tein will do on our mazda 5.

those coilovers are not much more expensive than replacing a set of Koni FSD or Koni Yellow

I ran Tein Flex on my Civic with custom spec spring rates and I loved it- but that's not going to matter a damn bit compared to guessing the ride quality in a 5. I can tell you that Tein is definitely able to match their damping to their spring rates well enough to give you a significantly better ride than factory even at 3-4 times the stiffness. Same experience with the BC Coilovers on my 5.

I have the street advance on my 5 and i like them. Only thing i dont like is theres no camber adjustments for the fronts and the damper adjustments is on the side of the struts for the rears instead of the top. I would have to jack up the rears inorder for me to stiffen or soften the ride. Other than those things the ride is pretty good and im not too low since the wheels i have will hit the strut perches if i decide to go lower

Heres a pic for reference.

Awesome. How long have you had them? Notice your ride in the other posts and was just the ride height I was looking at (it is a family van after all).

Looks like I've found my next sets :)

Awesome. How long have you had them? Notice your ride in the other posts and was just the ride height I was looking at (it is a family van after all).

Looks like I've found my next sets :)

Ive had them for 3k miles already and theres no noise and it rides pretty good i even have it 5clicks from stiff since out of the box it was too soft and felt floaty so i stiffened it up and i like the way it is now. Just wish i can go a little lower lol

Thanks FaDz. I'm sold to get this as my next set.

Just gotta sort out my rim choice now. 17" and deciding to either go 225x45 or 205x50 depending on the width of the rim I choose.

Doubt the Home Minister would approve on 18". :s

No problem man. My next set of rims i would go down to 17's. It all depends on the width and offset of the rims and then you can pick out the tire size. Oh and my rears are shaved now since i was rubbing on hard dips

ff0e55f8a01896a4f15b41aff6c29418.jpg
24b086af809a4569270072a52e40121c.jpg
53732da4e1bf83bd8e4739a3a841ace7.jpg
77d2eacede6e035b3a664262d24c9951.jpg
f7ded29d6da0c5dd56ce62c5e753c3ca.jpg

I’ve wondered if Tein’s EDFC can be used on BC/YS COs. Techie side of me thinks this is cool but as I understand more about suspension dynamics, I come to realize this is limited. Spring rate and damper rate should be matched, sort of set it (right) and forget it. The EDFC needs to be able to adjust spring rate (preload perhaps) for it to be useful.

Is backend upside down? How is the perch secured up top?? Tein did the front mounts right with proper end link and brake line mount, like OEM.

I’ve wondered if Tein’s EDFC can be used on BC/YS COs. Techie side of me thinks this is cool but as I understand more about suspension dynamics, I come to realize this is limited. Spring rate and damper rate should be matched, sort of set it (right) and forget it. The EDFC needs to be able to adjust spring rate (preload perhaps) for it to be useful.

Set to softer settings, the car is "springy" under very hard dips. Though it helps on badly paved roads to cushion the minor imperfections on some roads.
Roads where I'm at isn't all that good.

Is backend upside down? How is the perch secured up top?? Tein did the front mounts right with proper end link and brake line mount, like OEM.
It's fitted correctly, the top grooved piece has a wider fitting that slots in the top area.

Back