Stage 1 Clutch + Flywheel + LSD Options

:
DE GX
Hey folks,

So I took the 2 out for its very first autox this past weekend, and while there is a lot to like about the car, one aspect that I found to be inadequate is the clutch. I know that our 2 doesn't exactly have a powerhouse engine, so it probably doesn't need a super grabby clutch, but the clutch engagement and the way it grabs just doesn't thrill me at all, and it feels like the clutch has a lot of slippage before it has enough friction to grab... This is most evident in the 1-2 upshift, but to a much lesser extend, I also found a similar behaviour when launching the car.

A couple of quick searches doesn't seem to reveal any stage 1 type performance clutch -- there are some heavy duty race clutches available for our car, but I have every intention to keep the car as a primarily street use vehicle, so something along the lines of a stage 1 clutch would be a lot more appropriate for my purposes. And if I were to perform a clutch job, I might as well look into the flywheel and LSD options that are available since that area is opened up. Again, there doesn't seem to be any lightened flywheels or LSD available for our car.

So what replacement options (other than OEM) is available for our cars?

Cusco makes a LSD for the 2, not sure on any of the other stuff. The Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development site lists the Cusco part # as LSD 438 A

ACT had a wide range of clutches for the 2, anything from a street disc to a 4 puck unsprung. By the looks of their website I'm not sure if they're making them anymore, but you can still find the kits from some third party retailers. What you're looking for is the "ZM9-HDSS" clutch.

Do you have stock motor mounts? That is what kills the clutch feeling.

Interested in an LSD for FSP autocross. I know Cusco makes a limited slip, but has anyone actually installed it?

I still have the stock (rear) engine mount for the moment, and will be changing it out for the AWR mount soon. But I don't think the clutch engagement issue that I am talking about above is caused by the squishy engine mount though. It feels more like when I am releasing the clutch pedal, the friction material on the clutch disc doesn't have enough grab, and the clutch disc is slipping a bit before it has enough bite to grab and start transferring power. So I guess I am looking for something with slightly more clamping force and/or more friction on the clutch friction pad, but not something so hardcore that I would have a hard time driving on the street with.

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. I will look into the recommendations that you guys made. (2thumbs)

Last edited:
The motor mount is the primary problem the engine winds up and the mount allows the engine to twist instead of transferring to the wheels.

Launching the car at auto-x events is much improved. I originally thought I wanted a different clutch but now I'm pretty sure I'll just buy OEM again.

Yes I'm intending on do this to the protege myself thanks for posting guys I'm new to the mazda engine and I'm going to give her the DoLo lol

Whoa~ Thanks, man! Thank you for taking the time and effort to look all that stuff up and make the info available!

That monstersport set reminds me of the RA gearing on the subaru trannies. Would be great for a rally car.

Back