Still getting good reviews

sjg

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
Short review of the CX-9 in Autoweek: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-mazda-cx-9-grand-touring-review-notes
Amazing that this car still can get a decent review given that it's in many ways the same CX-9 that was first available in 2007. (The most significant change was the upgrade to the 3.7 but even that was in 2008.) The complaints are mostly limited to the infotainment screen and the fact that it's not as entertaining as the CX-5. I don't know if it's more a testament to the quality of the CX-9 or the limited improvements across the segment that make this car remain so competitive so many years after it was introduced.

I don't think the current CX-9 is skyactiveized yet, I would think once they apply skyactive to CX-9, it'll get as great a reviews as the CX-5 is enjoying.

Short review of the CX-9 in Autoweek: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-mazda-cx-9-grand-touring-review-notes
Amazing that this car still can get a decent review given that it's in many ways the same CX-9 that was first available in 2007. (The most significant change was the upgrade to the 3.7 but even that was in 2008.) The complaints are mostly limited to the infotainment screen and the fact that it's not as entertaining as the CX-5. I don't know if it's more a testament to the quality of the CX-9 or the limited improvements across the segment that make this car remain so competitive so many years after it was introduced.

Thanks for that interesting article - impressive that it reads similar to this review (with great photos) from 2008. It's rather amazing that reviewers still find it compelling considering that it has not been updated in 8+ model years. Could you imagine the same conclusions being made of its competitors if those vehicles had also not been updated for 8 years?

Indeed impressive and why I went with a new 2014. It's a solid, well thought out vehicle. While it has it's problems (looking at you TRANSFER CASE), thanks to forums like this we at least know of the issue and can move to prevent issues.

My main improvements for it would be updated Mazda Connect infotainment, and I can't help but think how awesome this would be with more aluminum in the body (like the new F-150). If this could tip the scales at 4000 lbs instead of 4500, it would be a fast (dare I say even sportier), untouchable CUV. This would help fuel economy as well and bring it at least a little in line with their Sky-Activ philosophy. It's looks are already above the rest.

Indeed impressive and why I went with a new 2014. It's a solid, well thought out vehicle. While it has it's problems (looking at you TRANSFER CASE), thanks to forums like this we at least know of the issue and can move to prevent issues.

My main improvements for it would be updated Mazda Connect infotainment, and I can't help but think how awesome this would be with more aluminum in the body (like the new F-150). If this could tip the scales at 4000 lbs instead of 4500, it would be a fast (dare I say even sportier), untouchable CUV. This would help fuel economy as well and bring it at least a little in line with their Sky-Activ philosophy. It's looks are already above the rest.

Agreed, a good diet with out decontenting would be very good.

That and updating the infotainment to a more modern and updatable system would be my two biggest tweeks so far. (of course transfer case but I think that is getting worked out)

Still getting great reviews; however, the rub is that these reviewers drive the car for a few weeks and give it back. If I was in the market to replace my '12 CX-9, I wouldn't even consider the current one. Besides the gas mileage, the infotainment on my '12 is just out dated--the nav works fine, and I have not complaints with that, but the phone controls are embarrassing. And Mazda is now behind the curve on standard features. If I am going to spend my money for a vehicle to own for years, I want the best value for my money, and I no longer think the CX-9 is it--the great ride and handling doesn't make up for it, because I'm not the primary driver of the CX-9 in my family. I am looking forward to the 2nd generation model.

Back