Do you have another "non-family" car in the driveway? Looking at getting a second car

...I bet, in another 20 years, my T/A will bring in what I paid for it while any import will be 1500.00 bucks at best, no matter what it is. STI, EVO etc included. Because its not true muscle car...

I'm gonna leave this here. 5 minute search on my local CL
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5019608314.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5032139252.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5053920456.html

These are just Japanese imports. German and Italian cars are on a whole other Wayne Carini Richter Scale.

I have a theory that Hot Rods are cool to old guys because that was the car they lusted after when they were young. Then a younger crowd came along and drove the prices of muscle cars like the GTO up. Next in line is the generation of people that wished they could have cars like that Smokey and the Bandit T/A. Soon, it'll be people who saw cars like the NSX and FD RX-7 and wished they could have one.

That's why I bought and built mine. I never thought I'd be able to afford one, then I found an ugly one for semi-cheap about 8 years ago and went over the whole car. Now the prices, for a clean one, are going back up into the 20's and my work is paying off. :)

Last edited:
Agreed, I had a 82 RX-7. It was a fun car, and I almost bought a NSX about 8 years ago. STILL, its not fully modded year one built T/A. watch faster than a redneck. Try as the Japanese cars might, they can't beat a fully built v8. The only one I saw do it was the audi wagon. I was rooting for the contestants too. but the sheer torque from the v8 wins every time.

Wow this thread is all over the place lol
I say go for the Prius or other hybrid, being in Miami it would be nice to just leave the car on with the motor off but A/C running and not feel guilty, I think the ability to do just that makes the Prius worth it.
It will do well for your image in your field of work and to show your still a bad a$$ get a CBR/gixxer/busa, it creates a nice balance, and dragging knee is way cooler than some heel toe action.

The total shrinkage of your manhood once you sign for a prius is totally not worth it tho. ha ha. Its just as bad as owning a minivan. If you want to portray bad ass, or whatever, get a JEEP. Now your talkin. I love my Jeep and its the most fun you can have on 4 wheels. And I still stand behind my built T/A suggestion. Big screamin' supercharged small block powerslides into your parking space will make a statement. ha ha.

OP here. Thank you all for your input. Over the past couple of months I have considered your recommendations, and have envisioned myself driving around in everything from an 1980's trans am, to a Prius, to a Jeep, a Miata, BMW, etc.

My dad never came through on the z06 promise, and I instead resorted to getting rides to the bus, riding the bus to the metro, and then metroing in for work. I've decided that I will be driving to the metro and then taking the metro to work (traffic down here is atrocious). Also, turns out the people in my office don't care too much about what you drive (i.e. the founder of the firm drives a beat up Jaguar S-type

I finally made a decision and will be posting some pics of the car tonight. Hint: it isn't anything that was recommended, and to me, resembles an original Mini Cooper reincarnated in Japan, circa 2007. It's also quite possibly the most reliable gas powered vehicle ever made.

OP here. Thank you all for your input. Over the past couple of months I have considered your recommendations, and have envisioned myself driving around in everything from an 1980's trans am, to a Prius, to a Jeep, a Miata, BMW, etc.

My dad never came through on the z06 promise, and I instead resorted to getting rides to the bus, riding the bus to the metro, and then metroing in for work. I've decided that I will be driving to the metro and then taking the metro to work (traffic down here is atrocious). Also, turns out the people in my office don't care too much about what you drive (i.e. the founder of the firm drives a beat up Jaguar S-type

I finally made a decision and will be posting some pics of the car tonight. Hint: it isn't anything that was recommended, and to me, resembles an original Mini Cooper reincarnated in Japan, circa 2007. It's also quite possibly the most reliable gas powered vehicle ever made.
???

Follow up

So here it is:

A 2007 Toyota Yaris with 29,000 miles. It was in excellent condition, had all maintenance papers, and was manual transmission. I was really hoping for a good deal on a low-mile mazda2, but the only sample nearby that I found sold before I could make an offer on it.

This ain't a 2, but it is still surprisingly peppy.

The reason I called it the modern japo-mini was because of the center mounted speedo and similar FF, lightweight chassis. I was really thinking of getting something more fun, like an NC, but I really only drive this to and from the metro station, through several stop lights, some stop and go, and the most turns I take are through a parking garage. :)

Thanks all for your suggestions!

kqvaDFW1yY4A7Y0PZpDjSy296VeKbulVyNOcPbZ4Irk=w640-h480-no

6cyYFkI0TsJDee09eSfzKJ06a1T6cqU5ZUa3O1YxEbE=w640-h480-no

39Jwp4_GIpnpuKOr8j0RvUtlP5G1ASFzrzlFQCUvj3s=w640-h480-no

IjI_K1av1sKS9tcNqqrmZqPiPklUXFhKhbBVSrQtfQs=w640-h480-no

lOm5k39OVN60_PYHM3HV-n9t-ExooGvGVkoVVfiKsXg=w640-h480-no

nI0DbcX-GMiUX4yDYUMAD00RVbh-TCCpBK4ckIj0WuQ=w640-h480-no

Check out all those storage bins!

Last edited:
These are my 3 "others". I don't think any of them would make your list but they make me smile daily!
IMG_20150628_190323_zpssnlijpb8.jpg

Last edited:
Update: so the Yaris, while incredibly fuel efficient and durable, was equally uncomfortable and difficult to drive. I attribute this to the fact that the steering wheel is positioned very far away from the driver, which forces one to sit uncomfortably close to the pedals. Also, the seat is positioned very high since the tool kit is positioned under the seat. The cushions themselves are thin, and offer virtually no side bolstering. Adding insult to injury, on the two door, the b-pillar is way behind you, and the seat belt is anchored at a low point, which makes it feel like you are getting choked. The throttle response is laggy and the clutch is vague, which makes it even more difficult to drive. Basically, the Yaris might be comfortable if you were under 5'4, and drove an automatic. So I sold it, and bought a Mazda2, which is an improvement on the Yaris in every way except fuel efficiency.

So far, the Mazda2 appears to be a perfect companion to the Mazda5, and my wife likes calling them "the smiley cars". ;D

A buddy of mine delivers newspapers (don't judge, he makes 6 grand a month), out of a car and has been looking for a new one. Something small, hatchback, and semi-sporty.
I wasn't gonna say this because you bought one, but he drove everything and hated the Yaris for the same reasons as you. Uncomfortable was complaint #1.
He bought a Scion IQ and loves it. As much as they are related to the Toyota, they're a much better little car.

His old car, a 94 MX3 that he bought for 2 grand, had over 750K on it when it basically rusted apart while still running like a top. Hopefully your 2 treats you the same way his little Mazda did!

Last edited:
A buddy of mine delivers newspapers (don't judge, he makes 6 grand a month), out of a car and has been looking for a new one. Something small, hatchback, and semi-sporty.
I wasn't gonna say this because you bought one, but he drove everything and hated the Yaris for the same reasons as you. Uncomfortable was complaint #1.
He bought a Scion IQ and loves it. As much as they are related to the Toyota, they're a much better little car.

His old car, a 94 MX3 that he bought for 2 grand, had over 750K on it when it basically rusted apart while still running like a top. Hopefully your 2 treats you the same way his little Mazda did!

I don't blame him. It was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven.

I don't blame him. It was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven.

To it being uncomfortable, you can also add lack of cruise control as something the 2 door Yaris had going against it. For me cruise is a deal breaker.

Back