Do you have another "non-family" car in the driveway? Looking at getting a second car

miami

:
2011 Red Mazda2 Sport MT; 2014 Mazda5 Sport AT Liquid Silver
Do you have another "non-family" car in the driveway? Looking at getting a second car

We picked up our MZ5 about 6 months ago and my wife has been driving it ever since. Before that she had a Corolla, which I inherited for my daily commute.

We are now moving to Florida and have sold off the Corolla. I have been using the MZ5 to commute for the past couple of weeks (way more fun that I thought!) and will have to buy a second car when we get to Florida.

Since we already have a family/utility vehicle, I was interested in getting something to make my commute more enjoyable.

My budget is up to $25K, although I'd be just as happy picking up a decent ND Miata for $10K. Wife says I can pretty much get anything up to $25K. I will be working in a field where perceived "image" can be important, so no total junkers and stuff like an NA miata or base Corolla is out of the question.

Cars I have been considering:
-FR-S/BRZ
-S2K
-ND Miata
-Used 328i
-R53 Mini Cooper S
-F56 Base Cooper
-Toyota Prius Liftback
-Toyota Prius C

I want something reliable, fuel efficient and also possibly fun to drive, although since I am considering a Prius it's not a must-have. Used, preferably CPO when available. Either Japanese or Euro - not really a fan of American cars. Will be commuting about 30 miles round trip, with heavy traffic at least a quarter of the way.

It will also be the car my wife and I take out on dates.

I was wondering what everyone else has as their "other" / "fun car", whether it was any of the aforementioned options, and how it compliments the MZ5.

Thanks!!!

- Toyota Prius C is junk, rated one of the most unsafe cars in production, stick with Toyota Prius if you go hybrid.
- FR-S/BRZ, fun if your are young, pain to get in/out if you are over 33 :)
- Used 328i and R53 Mini Cooper S sound cool
-also Mazda 6 can be on that list, go try it.

Ford Fiesta ST?
Used Audi A3/A4?
Golf GTI?
Used RX-8?

We had only 1 car for a couple years, 2004 Toyota Corolla. Then we bought our black 2008 MZ5, which my wife drove while I had the Corolla. This was our setup until 2012 when the Corolla became officially too small with 3 kids. We loved our MZ5 so much that we sold the Corolla and bought another MZ5, this time it was a white one. We love having two MZ5s.

Last edited:
My wife has a Leaf. She loves it, minus the quick charging with longer trips. Otherwise it's much easier on the wallet for operating costs than her previous 2011 VW Routan.

Im guessing you didnt know Miata Is Always The Answer to these questions?! :D Splurge for a Hard Top and you are set.

But if image (always associated with $$) comes into play, used Boxter/Cayman is more appropriate but since you are looking for CPO, Im guessing you are not very hands-on so this may not work. Image is never cheap.

Our other car is a Fit due to practicability (space) and necessity (parking). Looking forward to getting rid of it for something more refined. The MTs gearing will beat you to death on long HWY commutes unless you abide by the 55 MPH limit but Ive read the latest iteration fixes a lot of the cars faults (cheapness). Worth looking at the new one but obviously you get zero image brownie points.

- Toyota Prius C is junk, rated one of the most unsafe cars in production, stick with Toyota Prius if you go hybrid.
- FR-S/BRZ, fun if your are young, pain to get in/out if you are over 33 :)
- Used 328i and R53 Mini Cooper S sound cool
-also Mazda 6 can be on that list, go try it.

-Yeah I'm thinking liftback over C as well. Price difference on a used one is marginal. Although I do enjoy smaller cars in the city.
-I've had 2 R53s and an R50. So fun to drive, they will be my benchmark against which my test drives will be measured.
-GT86: since I am 31, I guess I'll just lease a BRZ and return it in two years or perhaps it will "keep me in shape" :p
-Mazda6 is too big. Maybe a 3?

Ford Fiesta ST?
Used Audi A3/A4?
Golf GTI?
Used RX-8?

We had only 1 car for a couple years, 2004 Toyota Corolla. Then we bought our black 2008 MZ5, which my wife drove while I had the Corolla. This was our setup until 2012 when the Corolla became officially too small with 3 kids. We loved our MZ5 so much that we sold the Corolla and bought another MZ5, this time it was a white one. We love having two MZ5s.

I was joking with my wife that I'd get another MZ5 in MT :p
I hadn't considered a GTI- seems to be one of those cars that transcends social class, much like the Mini. Although for some reason I perceive VW to be the least reliable auto manufacturer. Still, I will test drive one.
I would never buy an Audi unless it was an A7/A8. They seem like overpriced VW's. Much like Acura is an overprice Honda.
RX-8s at this age are probably too high mileage and the seals on the wankel rotor might be breaking down. I'd rather pay extra and get a GT86.

Umm we brought a 2012 Nissan Cube, works well my wife loves her Cube.
I used to drive a first gen Xb. One of my favorite cars and I think the cube would be great. I'll be working as a litigation attorney in Miami, so I think I will need something with a little more "flash", unfortunately.

My wife has a Leaf. She loves it, minus the quick charging with longer trips. Otherwise it's much easier on the wallet for operating costs than her previous 2011 VW Routan.
They just had a leaf at a green fair where I work. It was pretty nice! I am also considering a Mitsubishi i-Miev. They can be had for under $10K with only 2k miles or so. Guess they might be terrible given their depreciation. Will definitely check out the leaf, though.

I’m guessing you didn’t know Miata Is Always The Answer to these questions?! Splurge for a Hard Top and you are set.

But if image (always associated with $$) comes into play, used Boxter/Cayman is more appropriate but since you are looking for CPO, I’m guessing you are not very hands-on so this may not work. Image is never cheap.

Our other car is a Fit due to practicability (space) and necessity (parking). Looking forward to getting rid of it for something more refined. The MT’s gearing will beat you to death on long HWY commutes unless you abide by the 55 MPH limit but I’ve read the latest iteration fixes a lot of the car’s faults (cheapness). Worth looking at the new one but obviously you get zero image brownie points.

I used to own a 91 BRG NA miata, which was the car I proposed to my wife in. It was a special car and I could totally see myself in a PRHT ND.
Unfortunately image does come into play, and I'd rather buy a car that transcends class, i.e. a Miata, Mini, Prius, or GTI, than one that is usually associated with "upper class", i.e. range rovers, porsches.
I'm pretty hands on, just not hands-on enough to replace an IMS seal on an out-of-warranty cayman... Just not enough time.

I wanted to buy a Fit for years (ended up with a Civic), but this time around I will look it over. I've got the MZ5 for practical needs.
---
Thank you all for your feedback.
So I think my choices are down to: fun cars: ND Miata, Mini Cooper, BRZ, GTI; fuel-efficient: leaf, prius III.

Will let you know how the test drives go!

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my mazda 3 as a commuter. Depending on traffic you should be able to get 35 on the highway. With 2 years o of mostly city driving I still average around 30 mpg. Get a manual and it will still be fun. Stop and go traffic will be less fun but I've gotten used to it. After a while it is second nature.

I'm pretty happy with my mazda 3 as a commuter. Depending on traffic you should be able to get 35 on the highway. With 2 years o of mostly city driving I still average around 30 mpg. Get a manual and it will still be fun. Stop and go traffic will be less fun but I've gotten used to it. After a while it is second nature.

Will definitely try the 3. Also very interested in the Golf "S" in manual, 2dr. Truecar is showing it at $17k. Seems like good value for money.

LOVE my S2000. :D You can pick up early model AP2s (2004+ with revised suspension and the 2.2L) for around $15k pretty clean- that leaves $10k for refresh and playtime parts.

LOVE my S2000. :D You can pick up early model AP2s (2004+ with revised suspension and the 2.2L) for around $15k pretty clean- that leaves $10k for refresh and playtime parts.

I'd love to try one out. Almost bought one back in 2010, but found out it was in an accident. Did they AP2s sort out the cylinder oil circulation? If I remember correctly, one of the cylinders liked to run a bit hot.

Ford Cmax. awesome car. Or my personal pick for a second car 1977 trans am. Nothing better than rolling into work with your cowboy hat on the CB antenna! Love it!

Please do try out a Fiesta ST. That is the most fun car in that size class that I have ever driven. The new GTI is great but I passed because VWs are of dubious reliability. A later made RX8 should be fine. Early models had issues but improved later and on a properly maintained rotary car, apex and side seals can last a very long time. I have a 31 year old RX7 that is heavily modded and still runs good. Though it receives appropriate maintenance. I've driven the FRS/BRZ and while fun they feel underpowered. My '13 civic Si was the same way. Try a Focus ST. It is a blast to drive, but I will warn you that mine has had its fair share of problems. Previous gen WRXs are great. I still own one I bought new in 2005. I do not like the new ones though. Too big, and (to me at least) very very ugly.

Please do try out a Fiesta ST. Try a Focus ST. It is a blast to drive, but I will warn you that mine has had its fair share of problems./QUOTE]

What kind of problems, the Fiesta St is on the short list of replacements for the 5. The GTI is as well, I drove a manual GTI and loved it. I would love an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes wagon used, but the reliability scares me.

Please do try out a Fiesta ST. Try a Focus ST. It is a blast to drive, but I will warn you that mine has had its fair share of problems. /QUOTE]

What kind of problems, the Fiesta St is on the short list of replacements for the 5. The GTI is as well, I drove a manual GTI and loved it. I would love an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes wagon used, but the reliability scares me.

I'm curious as well. Do you feel confident recommending the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST in spite of your troublesome experience with the Focus?

Also, perhaps I was used to my Corolla's seats, but when I sat in the Fiesta ST at the car show, the seats felt entirely over-bolstered, bordering on uncomfortable (and I am not THAT overweight - 5'9, 170lbs).

Regarding BMWs, my 2007 335i was in the shop several times during the short period that I owned it. Although I know that model was one of the most unreliable models they've put out in the past decade or so, still left me feeling jaded.

My dad offered to loan me his '02 z06 while I get settled in to my new home (we're moving somewhere I will need a car to commute, hence the new car). I might defer buying a second card as long as possible :)

When I think "non-family", I think 2-seater.
For 25K the FD you'd be in would be clean, low mileage and FAST. I've had mine for 10+ years and still love it.

fdmudguards2.jpg

0710phr_01_z+1977_pontiac_trans_am+year_one_bandit.jpg

Here is my future play car. I am actively searching for the base car now. Year one parts rock and give the trans am a totally modern feel and drive. 700hp does not hurt either.(idhitit)

Not a daily driver though...

0710phr_01_z+1977_pontiac_trans_am+year_one_bandit.jpg

Here is my future play car. I am actively searching for the base car now. Year one parts rock and give the trans am a totally modern feel and drive. 700hp does not hurt either.(idhitit)

Back