Mazda2-based Scion iA revealed

ScorpioGTX1

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
There's been talk of a Mazda/Toyota collaboration for a while now, and the result has finally been revealed. The car will be manufactured by Mazda in Mexico, but sold wearing a Scion badge in its respective dealerships. Engine is a 1.5L Skyactiv with 106hp, mated to a 6-speed manual or an automatic transmission if you hate life. Basically, it's a Mazda 2 sedan that got beaten with an ugly stick. In any case, I think I'll be sticking with the Mazda 2 hatch if I find myself in need of a new car.

6yWGfkS.jpg

KPPI8Lo.jpg

More information here: http://jalopnik.com/the-scion-ia-a-cheap-catfish-faced-sedan-that-may-jus-1694912877

Wow~ A Mazda2 sedan getting beaten with an ugly stick is right! That front end is just atrociously ugly, and somehow reminded me of a Stormtrooper (and not in a good way...)

The 4x4 stance is the same as what we've seen with Mazda2, but in sedan trim, somehow the gap between the ground and the trunk is just intolerably ugly. With the Mazda2's hatch, at least it could be passed of looking like a mini SUV...

The new 2016 Yaris will be a copy of the Mazda 2 hatchback. Different front end, same rear.

Because of this partnership, I have a feeling the new Mazda 2 is not coming to the U.S. I have not found any news on release date for the U.S. It seems like Mazda is focusing on the CX-3, MX-5 ND, and the CX-9 redesign.

The automatic is better than the manual, I can promise that. It has an incorporated multi-plate clutch and even rev-matches downshifts. All you're missing is the likely lifeless clutch pedal with a sucky engagement point that all of the Skyactiv-MT cars have. Since the Scion is getting the entire power/drivetrain from the 2, it's kind of strong to say that you hate life if you buy the auto. (2cents)

That said, they really did ugly it up pretty good, especially on the interior. Way to beige a beautiful car, Toyota.

Last edited:
Is it a dual clutch?

Single multi-plate wet clutch that works in concert with the torque converter, which remains locked something like 85% of the time. In essence, it has a converter solely for smooth takeoffs and the clutch handles all of the gear changes.

Last edited:
Back