easiest way to paint calipers

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
as the title says i want to paint my calipers, looking for the easiest way to do it.

Take caliper apart, wash and degrease, scuff with really abrasive scotch, spray on high heat enamel.

Or if you don't want to mask everything off so you don't get overspray everywhere I think Dupli-color and G2 both make a brush-on caliper paint kit...

you know anywhere i can buy that kind? i have not seen a brush on one in awhile

Its gonna look like s*** and peel off if you don't do it properly. Caliper comes appart easily. Take the slide pin out, seperate the caliper from the bracket, clips, springs guides ect. Stuff some paper towel in the guide rod hole, tape the piston and its dust boot, spray it. It woupd take more than a couple hours but finish will last and look great.

I did my calipers with the G2 kit almost five years ago now. Aside from a few chips and there, it has held up well IMO. I sent pics to them of the chipping and they sent me another kit for free. I got lazy and chose this kit because I wanted something better than spray can, but less involved than what others have suggested (which would garner better and longer-lasting results).

Here's my original thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...2-Caliper-Paint-System-(pics-amp-mini-review)

Last edited:
i know how to change brakes i wanted to do it without taking apart and redoing all the brakes though

From 2003. I used Duplicolor High Heat spray paint.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Brake-Calipers&p=191649&viewfull=1#post191649

Nope. It took me about three-four hours to put 4-5 coats on all four wheels. Here's an old post of mine ;)

The reason for brushing is that it takes forever to tape everything off. I used a Big Gulp cup with a paper towel over the lid to minimize over-spray(as I filled it up) for my paint cup. Worked great.
To clean the calipers I used a wire-brush drill-bit from Ace Hardware, and my cordless drill. It took about 10min per wheel. Make sure everythings nice and shiny before you start painting.

Another trick that I found is to use a sponge-brush to paint with. The sponge brush won't leave those "lines" that you get after painting with a regular brush. Also it's a good idea to have a couple extra paint brushes around...

One more suggestion: Jack the car up so that you can do two wheels at a time, that way when you're done with one side, the other will be dry and ready for another coat. Back and forth. I did 4 or 5 coats with Duplicolor 1200 degree paint ($4.95)and the calipers look almost rubberized.
(wiggle)

Last edited:

i think i will do it this way, i am horrible at painting though and afraid of messing it up. i need to find sponge brushes of various sizes, i bet a hobby shop has those.

i dont want red calipers as everybody has those i was thinking black or silver or orange(if i can find a high enough heat one) any brand suggestions to find those colors? if i go black i want a shinier finish, silver or orange i dont care so much what the finish shine level is.

Last edited:
Duplicolor makes other colors too. I'm not sure if they have the Dollar Tree in Texas, but the sponge brushes are there for cheeeaap. Probably any old dollar store will have em.
It's really easy and if you accidentally get a little paint on the rotors, no biggie. It'll be gone the 1st time you hit the brakes.

Get er done!

Last edited:
i think i will do it this way, i am horrible at painting though and afraid of messing it up. i need to find sponge brushes of various sizes, i bet a hobby shop has those.

i dont want red calipers as everybody has those i was thinking black or silver or orange(if i can find a high enough heat one) any brand suggestions to find those colors? if i go black i want a shinier finish, silver or orange i dont care so much what the finish shine level is.

Chevy used orange paint on their motors in the 70's and high heat enamel in that color is pretty easy to find. I don't know how much heat it tolerates though, brakes can be a lot hotter than engine blocks.

I would wire-brush the calipers, rinse with brake cleaner, then hit it with a rust converter. Let that cure and then coat with high heat paint.

Last edited:
well got it done did silver as i could not find a shiny black (did not want matte black) repainted wheel wells black while i was in there as well, had a friend who was better at painting do alot of it but i helped on the large area

wheel 2.jpgwheel1.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago, did mine with Rustoleum enamel brushed on after a thorough cleaning of assembled calipers. One minor chip when summer wheels were changed for winter treads. Brush touch up no problem, with wheels mounted. No further issues. Finish on all calipers as good as when originally painted.

well VHT paint is cheap and it flaked off about 40% total after the first wash so i sprayed it off as much as possible powdercoating is the only way to go i guess paint just seems to want to chip too easy even though it says resists chipping

Back