Bad inner tie rod end and front sway bar link...Saefty issue?

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,

I have been getting a NASTY clunk lately. I took it to the garage and he said everything looked great and thought it might be ice or something. But the noise never went away. Took it in again and a different mechanic heard it and looked and said it was the inner tie rod end and the front sway bar link.

Are these safety issues? Meaning an immediate repair? Any idea how the 1st mechanic (who is very respectable) missed it? The other mechanic who found it said it might have been the type of lift? Ones where the wheels hang might hide the issue a bit? Sound right?

Anyway, just looking for some info whether or not I should be ok driving this.

BTW, cost all in for a front right inner tie rod end, sway bar link, alignment, labor and tax is $270.

Thanks,
Dave

Yeah, potentially, depending on which it is. You shouldn't leave any steering component to chance, but you can disconnect the sway bar link and drive it without worrying, assuming you don't drive like you're on a racetrack.

Unless you know of an accident - I highly doubt BOTH are bad.

Me? I would say get the third opinion...

Inner tie rod end may be a concern as it controls steering, if its the issue, I would be changing this.

Sway bar links will cause a clunk if they are worn out or not installed correctly, however are of no serious concern, but your car will handle like a boat. If you remove them, your car will roll more on turns. Also, these links go often enough to replace several times throughout a cars life.

When does the clunk happened? Over bumps or on turns?

Sway bar links are definitely a common source of clunking with our cars.

I don't recall too many people (if any) having issues with their tie rods. (especially the inner)

I think you should get your sway bar links done and see if that fixes it.

No alignment is needed after the sway bar links have been replaced so that saves a big chunk of cash as well.

Sway bar links are definitely a common source of clunking with our cars.

I don't recall too many people (if any) having issues with their tie rods. (especially the inner)

I think you should get your sway bar links done and see if that fixes it.

No alignment is needed after the sway bar links have been replaced so that saves a big chunk of cash as well.

Yeah, I'll be talking with the original guy again this week.

I'll get under the car with him and see myself as well.

Thanks,
DAve

Another question...

Can I test for play in either of these with the car on the ground or does it need to be jacked up and the wheel hanging?

To check for play in the sway bar links you really need to remove the wheel.

The tie rods can be checked by having a buddy wobble the steering wheel (engine off), while you look at all of the components with a good flashlight from underneath.

Why not just replace the end link and see if it is the problem. Theyre like 10-15 bucks and you can change one in like five minutes. And if it was the problem, you will have saved the money you pointlessly spent on changing out a working tie rod end and alignment.

... and you can change one in like five minutes...

My rear sway bar link took over two hours... the allen key in the stud was useless. I had to break the link open and grip the ball with a vise grip then a 1/2" breaker bar that finally twisted the stud till it snapped...

Next time I'll start with the grinder.

My rear sway bar link took over two hours... the allen key in the stud was useless. I had to break the link open and grip the ball with a vise grip then a 1/2" breaker bar that finally twisted the stud till it snapped...

Next time I'll start with the grinder.

I can't do this on my own.... But yeah, I might just get the end link replaced and see what happens.

A messed up tie rod end.. Inner or outer.... Would make some sort of noise right?
Im having noise going over a bump as well as I am getting a lighter clunk turning the steering wheel
Would just a sway bar cause both of those

That being said, I got under the car as much as I could yesterday, which isn't much as I just had it on the ground, but the end link seemed newer and I couldn't feel any give to it.....

Inner tie rod end may be a concern as it controls steering, if its the issue, I would be changing this.

Sway bar links will cause a clunk if they are worn out or not installed correctly, however are of no serious concern, but your car will handle like a boat. If you remove them, your car will roll more on turns. Also, these links go often enough to replace several times throughout a cars life.

When does the clunk happened? Over bumps or on turns?

Certainly over bumps and a lighter clunk when quickly turning the steering wheel (for example to avoid something on the road..regular turning doesn't cause a clunk). However, sometimes the louder clunk sometimes happens driving down a smooth road for no apparent reason...

Something is fishy. How can one mechanic say all is good then 3 weeks later another say both the tie rod end and sway bar link is bad....

Everyone has their own way of working. He may be interested in your money or he may be trying to save you money in the long run by replacing components so you don't have to do 2 alignments. But that really depends on good he presented it to you. This is why I like doing my own work.

... the end link seemed newer and I couldn't feel any give to it.....

The end links can be under quite a bit of "spring pressure"... Either pushing up or pulling down.

It can take a lot of force or even a pinch bar to reveal the slack. (and it can be a very small amount)

You really should just do the end link then go back if that doesn't fix your clunk.

You would probably feel that in your steering wheel... Slop and clunking....

Hmm...Well, I was sitting in the car with the engine OFF. Moved the steering wheel quickly (not far mind you) and was getting a clunking noise. Does that point toward the tie rod end or the sway bar link - i'm guessing the tie rod end?

Again, I was sort of under the car, and the inner tie rod end seemed solid as did the outer, but I'm no mechanic.

The bottom end of the sway bar link looks in bad shape (looks ripped) , but like I said, no movement by hand.

Back