2007~2015 Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

check this out guys.....

"Fill for Life" ? what a joke.....

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/1112-ptu-transfer-case/page-2#
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/1112-ptu-transfer-case/page-3

Ford Edge/SHO uses the same exact transfer case as the CX-9. The Ford Edge guys also have PTU failures left and right.

Always the same symptoms, very pungent burning oil smell and dark grey oil leaking.

Some of the Ford guys only replaced the seals thinking that would solve the leaking problem but they didn't change
the oil on a regular basis and were right back in the same boat again with PTU failure.

Then afterwards, they started servicing the oil regularly and all the problems went away.
Pretty much proves the culprit is the oil.

Changing the seals won't stop the leaks coming from the vent valve on top when the oil has sludged up and the PTU overheats.

They are DRILLING holes and plugging the transfer cases !!

I'll stick with Avidien's easier method of electric pump suctioning and refilling.
If you have an AWD model, change your transfer case oil, it's very easy.

Also the Ford forum mentioned the following :
"......Mazda addressed this very same issue via the addition of PTU cooling using the engine coolant system."
I'm pretty sure this is wrong information, I'm not aware of any active cooling system in the CX-9 PTU.

Last edited:
I really like that he drilled and tapped the case to install a drain plug. It would make the change procedure so much easier.

I really like that he drilled and tapped the case to install a drain plug. It would make the change procedure so much easier.

Agreed eskimo! definitely would make life easier, but waaaaaaay above my mechanical skills.
also, downside is that the whole PTU has to be taken out which is not an easy job without a lift.

I don't recommend drilling the PTU while still attached to the vehicle
(i.e. metal shavings from the drilling and thread tapping may get inside the case and really screw up the gears)
Also, drilling a hole at the bottom of the case now introduces a leakage path for the transfer case oil if the threads ever get stripped from over torquing or under tightening after oil changes.

You know what's the funny thing (actually not funny), I've heard Ford added drain plugs to certain transfer cases depending on location ! so Ford knows there's an issue but only certain locations (I believe the middle east) get drain plugs. No drain plugs for USA models. How screwed up is that ?

But honestly, the electric pump is really not that big of a deal to warrant drilling a hole.

P.S. my OEM transfer case is still going strong with no issues since I've been changing regularly ~every 10,000 miles , close to 90K now.

I recommend anyone with an AWD and hesitant to change the oil to at least look at removing the plug and look at the condition of the OEM plug. You don't have to change the oil if you don't see sludge but at the very least take a look at the oil condition.
Do this when it is cold and and you haven't driven anywhere. The plug is not under any high pressure and the oil will not leak when you unscrew it, you can tell right away the condition of the oil by looking at the plug,

Picture below was my plug at 38,000 miles with no oil change, I was really hesitant the first time but just said screw it and changed it at 38,000 miles after members kept posting about tc leaks. Looking back, I think even 38,000 was too long to wait, should have done it around 20,000 miles or less.

Last edited:
I am just wondering, does the ford explorer have the same transfer case as the 9 and the other fords?

I am just wondering, does the ford explorer have the same transfer case as the 9 and the other fords?

according to this link, the new Explorer doesn't have a transfer case:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703727804576017951373275340

see ebay link below and scan thru the applicable Ford model numbers that use the same CX-9 transfer case,
the one with the MOST problem is the Ford Edge :

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Lincoln MKX
Ford Edge, Taurus, Sable......
I also know for sure the Ford Fusion and Flex use the same CX-9 transfer case

INTERESTING DESCRIPTION FROM eBAY SELLER, 7 revisions ??!!!
maybe the latest 2015 CX-9's are ok then ? I still don't see how that can be without changing the oil
but if they figured out a way that would be great... we haven't heard any failures of 2014's or 2015's CX-9's

Sale is for 1 (ONE) Complete Power Take Off Unit - There have been many problems with this part and it has been updated in design 7 times (See Below) by Ford Motor Company - This is the most current version of this part, Service # AT4Z 7251-D, Engineering # AT43 7251-DE, Be cautious when buying from other sellers that they may be selling older, inferior versions of this part that are not the new and improved design.

- 100% Genuine Ford Motor Company parts

- BRAND NEW Part in original packaging with tags

- Only available from Ford Dealerships after a back-order period

- Listed below are the out of date part numbers that this item replaces:
7T4Z 7251-B
7T4Z 7251-C
7T4Z 7251-D
8T4Z 7251-A
8T4Z 7251-B
8T4Z 7251-C
AT4Z 7251-A

also, found this online after Googling the latest p/n

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/15241-ptu-updated-version/

Last edited:
So Avidien, my next question is. Do you think this is better than having a transfer case. Does anyone know off hand if there are any failures with the explorers 4wd system. If not that would be something very interesting if they can incorporate this with the 9.

So Avidien, my next question is. Do you think this is better than having a transfer case. Does anyone know off hand if there are any failures with the explorers 4wd system. If not that would be something very interesting if they can incorporate this with the 9.

Hi kornholio, my knowledge in this new Ford explorer clutch system is limited but I would think yes, it is better. From what I understand the explorer system only engages when slippage is detected and is normally off which means better gas mileage and less wear and tear.

The CX9 transfer case system is ALWAYS turning no matter what which means a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the gears and worse gas mileage, one of the reasons why FWD CX9s have better gas mileage than the AWDs. Also the constant turning also degrades the oil much faster and also stresses the transmission spines that is connected to the transfer case. If you search this forum you'll see that some transfers case failures also took out the transmission with it, very costly repair.

Again this is just my opinion, I am by no means an expert.

Also, I just remember something very important for our transfer cases, make sure all wheels are aligned and regularly rotated. And if you have a flat, both tires on the same axle of the flat must be replaced at the same time, don't just replace the flat tire with a new one and leave the other pair as is. I remember a very informed member from this forum posting this, that if tires are not level or if wearing unevenly, the transfer case will fail due to the imbalance. I think this is true for any transfer case system, not just for the CX9.

Last edited:
When you say both tires you mean 2 right. I am asking because you first said both tires of the same axle which would mean 2 but you also said don't leave the other pair as is which would indicated replacing all four tire. That is why I am asking.

When you say both tires you mean 2 right. I am asking because you first said both tires of the same axle which would mean 2 but you also said don't leave the other pair as is which would indicated replacing all four tire. That is why I am asking.

sorry for confusion,

yes, I meant 2, if one tire gets a flat that is un-repairable, then it's best to have 2 new tires on the same axle to wear evenly.

if the tire is repairable (i.e. nail that can be removed and plugged) , then can disregard this.

if tire is un-repairable (i.e. damaged sidewall) then yes should get 2 new tires for the same axle.

Last edited:
Was just checking tasca parts and the new ford explorers 2011 and newer do have a transfer case. It lists for 675 dollars on the website. I re-read the article and when I got to the part that read the explorer is considered all wheel drive that is what led me to check if it did or did not have a transfer case.

just hit 88,000 miles with no problems

long term update...... just hit 88,000 miles with no problems, transfer case still good with royal purple oil.
CX-9's been the best car I've ever had so far, great handling and drives like a car instead of a large SUV.

had the day off and unseasonably nice/warm weather for December in NY,
so I decided to go to dealership and get the transmission flushed and rear differential serviced.

I wasn't due until 100,000 miles, but didn't want to do it in freezing weather, anyways got the transmission flushed
(I know, I know, some may say not good but I've religiously done it from new so I have no worries about flushing,
for those who never done it and already over 60,000 miles, I don't recommend flushing just do drain and fill
(flushing on cars that never had the transmission serviced may dislodge debris and cause more problems)

anyway, I don't believe in lifetime fluids, I service all the fluids in the drivetrain system religiously as shown,
one thing for sure, if I ever sell this car the buyer will have a well maintained vehicle !
(I may buy the new CX-9 once there's more long term reliability data)

Last edited:
I just changed mine, i don't have LOW PROFILE RATCHET 3/8, i custom my spare 3/8 adaptor:
gPJ08Fk.jpg
[/IMG]

ZLOfeVN.jpg
[/IMG]

oil at 40,000 miles ( 65,000 Km) , it could not be any darker and thicker than this ( like jelly)
Y9GnRp4.jpg
[/IMG]

I surprised plug quite loose. My torque wrench could not fit in gap, i just tighten little tighter than when i opened it.

damn that's some dark and thick sludge ! wow, good thing you did the oil swap, otherwise the transfer case would definitely have overheated.
you have a 2009 CX-9 and only 40,000 miles ? that's very low mileage for a 7 year old car.

is that all the oil you pumped out ? going by the volume markers on your glass beaker, looks like you only got about 1 cup of oil out ?
might be a good idea to do it again @500 miles after the new oil dilutes the remaining old sludge still in the transfer case.

Last edited:
Hi Batmancx, it was 3 times in pictures i show only 1 picture, every time i only sucked out 300 ML ( more than 1.2 L because i filled up twice). $40 or fews thousands for repair, i 100% with $40 for oil.
I did refilled 2 times ( after 2 times oil very clean) and used electric pump to sucked oil out. I will do it again every 13,000 Miles ( 20,000Km).
-I was shocked for less than 7 years old with 40,000 Miles.
-Rear diff was very clean, i think may be every 30,000 miles should be OK.

-(hand) It really messy job , so be prepared guys/girls.

As i live in Australia, it very hard to find fluid from Redline and Royal Purple, i just used local brand for now and find Redline or Royal Purple fluid, i will do it again after 10,000 Miles and every 10,000 Miles.

Thanks for sharing your findings Bargain,
Agreed!! Better to spend $40 than $$$$ on new transfer case or worse new transmission!!

now this is very interesting: you wrote "rear differential oil is very clean".

This correlates with 4wardmotion's post about his invoice from dealer using the same oil for transfer case AND rear differential 75w90 instead of 75w140, now again we should be careful since he's not sure and could not confirm what they used or maybe that's just a typo error on the invoice.

But take at look at the picture he took of the transfer case oil that he sucked out, it's the cleanest used transfer case oil we've seen so far (not black at all, like a clear yellow translucent color) see link below, maybe the technician that worked on his car inadvertently did him a favor by using the same oil as the rear differential.

Maybe it might be better to use the rear differential grade oil in the front transfer case instead of Mazda recommended 75w140. I just don't know, only person that knows is the tech that worked on 4wardmotion's transfer case.

Bargain, what color was the rear differential oil that you sucked out ? Did you happen to take a picture and can post to the forum?

See link....

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848368-21-electric-sunction-extractor-transfer-pump-for-transfer-case-oil-changes/page2

Last edited:
Maybe it might be better to use the rear differential grade oil in the front transfer case instead of Mazda recommended 75w140.
and

wow, this is not a good idea, rear diff oil much thinner than transfer case SAE 90 VS SAE 140, i will stick with 75w-140 for extra protection.
Anyway here picture of Rear diff oil after 40,000 Miles:

UPOKug0.jpg
[/IMG]

I filled with 75W-90 full synthetic instead of 80w-90 Mazda recommended, they All SAE 90 (This is rear differenttial oil not Transfer casse), Transfer case i used 80w-140 full synthetic ( I will change it again after 6,000 Miles with Redline or Purple Royal brand which has 75w-140)

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture Bargain,

that's the cleanest used 7 years old rear differential gear oil I've ever seen.

That's what the transfer case oil should look like @40,000 miles if it's lifetime oil !

makes me wonder that perhaps the rear differential isn't as stressed as the transfer case.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe the CX9 is full time four wheel drive only when slippage is detected then the rear wheels engage. I know the transfer case is always turning no matter what so maybe that explains the huge difference in oil quality and color.

This might also explain why we rarely or even never see a rear differential failure, always a transfer case issue (usually a leak from the top breather valve @ around 30k/40K mark when the oil starts to decay to sludge and the transfer case overheats).

UPOKug0.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
ok guys, here's the low down, I brought my CX-9 into Autobarn Mazda in Chicago for the rear differential service and spoke with one of the service advisors about the infamous transfer case. This is coming from a Mazda dealer employee so take it with a grain of salt. As soon as I mentioned the word "transfer case" his expression was like "oh no, not another one"; little did he know, I've been changing oil per Avidien's procedure. And he seemed relieved that I was just there for the standard rear diff oil change. Anyway, I was actually shocked when he did confirmed that transfer cases are failing at a high rate, usually around the 30K/40K mark if they do fail but he said most of the time it's just black oil leaking nothing that prevents the vehicle from driving safely. Then I asked about the most important "transmission splines" and if he has ever seen a "transmission spline" failure by itself. He thought about it, and said "that's a good point, he never seen splines sheared off with a good transfer case." He has seen only one CX-9's so far with sheared splines but that was WITH a transfer case failure. He said this was the most severe failure that he saw, most typical ones are where customers came in complaining of black oil dripping in their driveways and they just swap out the transfer case if it's within 90,000 miles. Like I said, not sure how credible his info is, but I think any info we have is better than nothing since Mazda Corp is silent on the issue. In any case, I plan to just keep changing the transfer case oil regularly as I have been doing.

Last edited:
so why would there be tranny spline failure with properly functioning TC? No failure > no resistance > no messed up splines. What am I missing?

Back