2007~2015 Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

I am at 6k or so on new TC and 6k away from ext. Warranty exp. So I am biting my nails every day...should I change fluid now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Avidien,
I am having my transfer case replaced next week. I purchased a 2010 cx 9 grand touring awd with 35k. How long should I wait to change transfer case fluid?

Hi Njsarge,

With a brand new PTU, you should be good for at least 30,000 miles. I didn't change my PTU for the very first time until 38,000 miles (note: there was signs of sludge on the plug). I would have done it a lot sooner but there just was no "how-to" on the procedure so I bit the bullet and figured it out myself and posted the procedure. Now I'm doing it every 6,000 miles with no issues.

It's really up to the owner to decide. My theory is always maintain the fluids on a regular basis regardless of what the service manual says
and the less problems you will have down the road. I know my 6,000 miles PTU oil change is overkill but I rather play it on the safe side, and it's really not that hard to do and only costs $10 worth of 75W140 gear oil when I do it myself, so not a big deal.

here's my schedule that's gotten me to >100,000 with no issues,

engine oil - every 6,000 miles
PTU oil - every 6,000 miles
transmission flush - every 30,000 miles
coolant flush - every 30,000 miles

rear differential - every 30,000 miles (now, I'm re-thinking this to maybe changing every 60,000, seems like a waste of money doing it every 30,000 miles, I've had it done 3 times now and every time the used rear diff fluid is super clean like brand new oil, seems like the rear diff is hardly used only when AWD kicks in, if anything this should be lifetime oil since it's hardly used, except maybe in the winter)
my used rear diff oil looks like forum member Bargain's photo post #78, almost brand new clear yellow color, not like the dark grey color coming out of the PTU.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29/page6

Last edited:
More is better for sure...I am specifically referring to TC that are still under warranty and might or might not be serviced under warranty when there is proof of oil change by owner

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will be purchasing the electric pump, gear oil and ratchet and doing it myself. Do you do the transmission flush yourself or have it done at the dealer?

I will be purchasing the electric pump, gear oil and ratchet and doing it myself. Do you do the transmission flush yourself or have it done at the dealer?

I've done the transmission flush at the dealer regularly since new every 30,000 miles, I don't think you can do a flush yourself, you need to hook up to a special machine.

Some people believe transmission flushing is bad if you haven't done it ever before and you're over 60,000 miles.

They say it does more harm then good, the flushing may dislodge some debris. Not really sure how true this is but since I've been doing the transmission flush since new, I have no reservations about doing it.

There is a drain and fill method that most members do that you can do yourself, it's listed in the how to section.

Last edited:
So long transfer case #1. 2012 touring with 53k. Did a Royal Purple change around 45k after discovering this thread but the oil was in really bad shape. Planned to drive it just a few hundred miles then change it again but winter hit and decided to wait till spring. Got back from a couple 1000 mile road trips and noticed a hot oil smell. Up on the ramps she went and lots of oil sprayed back from all the highway driving. Dropped it at the dealer this morning (CPO with 7/100 power train) and got the call around 6 that it was the PTO (aka transfer case) and they were replacing it under warranty. Won't have the part till Friday but said I should get it back Friday evening. I'm sure they have plenty of experience swapping them.

Honestly, this is best case scenario for me. Replaced late in my 7 year extended warranty and now I can keep on top of the gear oil changes with a shiny new transfer case.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and thought I'd give my experience with my 2010 CX-9.

Last summer I asked my local Mazda dealership if they would do an oil change on the transfer case, they told me that it was a sealed unit, didn't need to be changed, and refused to change it.

Based on the thread, I still thought it was prudent, as I was getting near the mileage where the transfer case fails. My CX-9 is low mileage, with only about 50,000 miles.

Last winter I bought the oil removal pump, and was going to wait for warmer weather in spring to do the change. In the spring, I re-read the thread, and noticed I needed the special ratchet drive, and that took a couple of weeks to show up after ordered from amazon.

While waiting for the ratchet to appear, I took a longer drive, and noticed the burnt oil smell, and the extra wheezing noise from the engine bay. I looked under the engine bay, and found the oil leak, which looked exactly like the photo in the first thread.

Down to the local Mazda dealership, they needed a couple of days before they could look at it. But I booked an appointment for this repair, and the control arm recall. Dropped the car off at 9:00 am, and they were done by 5:00 pm, having replaced the transfer case.

It was covered under the extended warranty so no cost for me.

Guess I didn't need the pump and special ratchet, although I think I'll be doing the change myself every two years.

Thanks for all the information in this thread.

"every two years" ? would that be too long of a time gap between PTU oil changes ?
we've seen oil degradation starting already at 8000 miles. I think 2 years might be too long, IMHO.

Yeah, with my new transfer case I plan to yank the crappy Ford fluid out after 5k and then start changing the Royal Purple every 10k.

I just replaced the transfer case fluid at 20,500 miles on my 2015 CX9 for the first time after reading all the threads. While I only got about 1/5 of a quart of fluid out, it did not look that bad. The plug had 3/8" of gunk stuck to the magnet but the fluid was darker than new gear oil but still somewhat yellowish. Not sure how much I put back in just kept pumping until it start flowing out of the hole. Probably start replacing the fluid every other oil change or 15,000 miles.

Excellent video!! kulkarnipb ,

that's exactly how I change mine every time I change my engine oil ~every 6000 miles, I change the transfer case oil also,
now over 100,000 odometer miles, still on my original OEM transfer case with no issues/leaks.

Since you've changed for the first time at 50,000 odometer miles, I would just suggest to drive around for 500 miles to really dissolve any leftover sludge and then re-do the procedure to make sure all the sludge is pumped out.

Excellent video!! kulkarnipb ,

that's exactly how I change mine every time I change my engine oil ~every 6000 miles, I change the transfer case oil also,
now over 100,000 odometer miles, still on my original OEM transfer case with no issues/leaks.

Since you've changed for the first time at 50,000 odometer miles, I would just suggest to drive around for 500 miles to really dissolve any leftover sludge and then re-do the procedure to make sure all the sludge is pumped out.
Yep. I'm going to do again after few weeks. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice write-up and video. My PTO was replaced at around 69K miles and I received the warranty extension letter.
She's at 88K miles now and it's been on my mind. I am going to have to do this fluid change soon.

One question - when the dealer delivered my car back to me, I noticed a horrible rattling sound while driving coming from the floorpan. I put the car on jackstands and discovered the subframe cross brace was contacting the exhaust. There's a bend in the exhaust for clearance of this brace, but somehow it's no longer aligned with the brace anymore. The flex section was touching the brace instead. I took the brace off and tried shimming it with thick washers but nothing worked. I couldn't get it to clear anymore. I eventually just took it off the car. My wife drives it mostly anyway and we don't notice any difference. Anybody have thoughts on how the dealer could have screwed this up? Seems impossible they could have moved the exhaust system or the motor / trans mounting. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I refuse to take it back and it's been over a year now anyway. Whatever else this thing needs, I will either DIY or have it done by local mechanic.

I kid you not.........

I was just at the Mazda dealer literally 10 minutes ago, waiting for them to get me some rear diff fluid so I can do it myself, and there was a lady there who overheard me ordering the rear diff oil and asked how I change the rear diff oil, so I showed her the Youtube video. She said she'll have her husband do it.

Then I asked what she was there for and she said for CX-9 transfer case replacement, I also showed her the transfer case oil video by kulkarnipb.

Meanwhile, in the background, on the phone I heard the service agent said to another CX-9 owner on the other line "we just received your CX-9 replacement transfer case please come in tomorrow" I am not kidding..... you can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Nice write-up and video. My PTO was replaced at around 69K miles and I received the warranty extension letter.
She's at 88K miles now and it's been on my mind. I am going to have to do this fluid change soon.

One question - when the dealer delivered my car back to me, I noticed a horrible rattling sound while driving coming from the floorpan. I put the car on jackstands and discovered the subframe cross brace was contacting the exhaust. There's a bend in the exhaust for clearance of this brace, but somehow it's no longer aligned with the brace anymore. The flex section was touching the brace instead. I took the brace off and tried shimming it with thick washers but nothing worked. I couldn't get it to clear anymore. I eventually just took it off the car. My wife drives it mostly anyway and we don't notice any difference. Anybody have thoughts on how the dealer could have screwed this up? Seems impossible they could have moved the exhaust system or the motor / trans mounting. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I refuse to take it back and it's been over a year now anyway. Whatever else this thing needs, I will either DIY or have it done by local mechanic.

Wurf, are you talking about this brace shown in kulkarnipb's video (red arrow) aft of the flex braid section ?
or are you talking about the brace in front of the flex braid section (green arrow) where for DIY'ers we need to go around to reach the transfer case plug ?
I agree with you, I can't imagine the exhaust have been shifted so much.
can the brace have been installed backwards? have you tried rotating 180 degrees ?

mwbre9.jpg

Last edited:
I kid you not.........

I was just at the Mazda dealer literally 10 minutes ago, waiting for them to get me some rear diff fluid so I can do it myself, and there was a lady there who overheard me ordering the rear diff oil and asked how I change the rear diff oil, so I showed her the Youtube video. She said she'll have her husband do it.

Then I asked what she was there for and she said for CX-9 transfer case replacement, I also showed her the transfer case oil video by kulkarnipb.

Meanwhile, in the background, on the phone I heard the service agent said to another CX-9 owner on the other line "we just received your CX-9 replacement transfer case please come in tomorrow" I am not kidding..... you can't make this stuff up.

that's crazy, I was just at the dealer the other day and lady came in saying her 2014 CX-9 passenger side was flooded, dealer charged her $59 to unclog it (I bet they just used that burst of air trick posted in this forum) then asked her if she wanted to change her air filter for $50, something that you can buy on Amazon for $6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) it's pretty obvious the common issues with 2007-2015 CX-9's : clogged AC drains, transfer case failures, brake booster failures, wheel bearing, lower control arm recall.

Last edited:
Wurf, are you talking about this brace shown in kulkarnipb's video (red arrow) aft of the flex braid section ?
or are you talking about the brace in front of the flex braid section (green arrow) where for DIY'ers we need to go around to reach the transfer case plug ?
I agree with you, I can't imagine the exhaust have been shifted so much.
can the brace have been installed backwards? have you tried rotating 180 degrees ?

mwbre9.jpg

Yeah that's the one. I don't believe I tried to reinstall it switched around the other way. The tubular brace has unequal stand-off sort of mounting. One side is higher than the other and IIRC if I would try it switched 180 it would be even worse and also not bolt flush to the underside of the car. I think I will take another look at it when I do this fluid change but seems to me it was on there right, it just does not align with the dip in the exhaust that is obviously there to clear it in the first place. The dip in the exhaust is now completely offset from the brace. How they could have moved the exhaust that far forward is a mystery. I just don't get it. It's as if the PTO Was maybe different somehow like it was from an Edge maybe and they had to relocate the entire drivetrain with some sort of motor mount offset that moved the whole thing forward. That doesn't make much sense either though.

Also FWIW I haven't taken mine to the dealer for the lower control arm recall because my local dealer is a total huckster s*** show outfit. Not only are they ridiculous expensive, I don't trust them to do anything for me. This is history going back a long way in my family with this dealer when my dad used to buy cars from them. Granted they were POS Oldsmobiles back in the day, but it was cultural anyway, not so much product. I was already leery of having them to the PTO warranty replacement and sure enough, they didn't disappoint. The damned tech could not have test driven the car and then NOT noticed that horrible noise before giving me back the car. Careless assholes is my impression.

Enough rant. I do appreciate the info on the PTO fluid. This will save me $1600 or more in the next few years!

just changed my transfer case oil this morning, plug was full of gunk and sludge, what a truly disgusting, dirty and smelly job, had to toss my shirt away afterwards, will drive 500 miles then do it again, really tedious process , most tedious process was trying to get the tubes down the one hard to reach hole to drain and fill. I plan to get the new CX-9 hopefully there's a drain plug this time, otherwise I'm going with FWD with dedicated snow tires, I much prefer AWD but I rather not have to keep changing PTU oil. Avidien is absolutely right, you better wear safety glasses when you do this, errant oil splatters was frequent, get it into your eyes and you're be crying for days.

Can anybody with a CX-5 please chime in and let us know how the realiability of CX-5 AWD transfer case is, I'm almost positive it's the same as the one used in the new CX-9, what is the maintenance schedule on the CX-5 PTU and any reported failure yet ? I believe the CX-5 PTU has a drain plug now. Also, what is the oil capcity? I read somewhere it's also very little (1/2 liter of oil) like the 2007-2015 CX-9's.

Last edited:
Back