Help With Protege5 Mods?

GiddyKong

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I recently bought a 2002 Protege5, with 67K miles.
I'm looking to do some mods to increase performance on it and don't really know where to start.
Now I am working with a bit of a budget, like $2000 now, but it will grow as pay checks come in.

Msp turbo system. Can be had for $1000. All you really need as mods get exponentially more expensive after that. A good place to start for all around perfomance is a good set of tires though.

Msp turbo system. Can be had for $1000. All you really need as mods get exponentially more expensive after that. A good place to start for all around perfomance is a good set of tires though.

All I've ever heard is that adding a turbo to a non turbo car would make it basically implode

Sounds like you should start reading then =]

All I've ever heard is that adding a turbo to a non turbo car would make it basically implode

Like VALK said... Tires *and* a rear sway bar upgrade makes the car soooo much more enjoyable to drive in an enthusiastic manner! That's where I started back when I bought my P5 brand new! Then it just got out of control for me but it still puts a big grin on my face! lol!
There is a wealth of information available in this forum if you take the time to read. Sounds like you have a relatively low mileage car given its age so let the fun begin!

We can recommend all day long, but let me set something straight. If you want the best bang for your buck its either an engine swap, turbo system or stand alone management.

Your theory of imploding engines may have stemmed from bad experiences. The reason people opt for the MSP set up is because it uses the same engine as your current one.

I knowi want to change my exhaust system, what would you recommend for that?

Corksport Power Series. Very affordable... it is the best "Bang for the Buck" for what you get. I'm still running the same after oh... 10 years or so? If you ever get to the point of going turbo it will still work well for you and you can just do a "cut-out" for those special circumstances where you might require more flow!

if you wanted to keep it NA, a corksport exhaust with a Ebay header and a decent cold air would get you a little response for sure. not a big hp gain but would be noticable. you could spend a TON of money trying to build the motor for NA but then you would just be better to do the FSZE swap.. less money than a built na FSDE for sure, just tough to get all the parts together.
turbo is the best hp/dollar spent and it doesnt even have to be a msp setup, i just recommend it as its 100% bolt on to a p5 if you can source it with the oil supply and cooling bits, and an msp ecu.
you could go custom, but there are only a few kits out there and expect to spend like $4000+ on those. then wiring it yourself.

and msp setup will effectively double the engines performance under most conditions for $1000 on average.

after that, make it turn better. Good street tires, lightweight rims? struts/springs or coilovers, upgraded anti rollbars. though the suspension on a p5 is pretty good already, most stop at struts/springs.

I rode in marks car when it was at like 300hp? pretty rediculous, but it isnt a civil street car at all. You will have to plan out your goals, and read about other people who have done it.

Research. There's a ton to do to a p5. This is my first Mazda and i already have a plan to go n/a.
Cold air intake, header, high flow cat, bored intake manifold, up the compression, piggyback ecu. Only thing with boost is there are more issues than n/a but less cash spent so.... You get what you pay for.

Back