Whining noise coming from upper passenger side engine compartment (pic included).

LordJezo

Not sure when it started but it was very noticeable this weekend.

2010 AWD Touring.

Up there at the top of the picture, to be as technical as I can, the grey bit that is connected to the three things that go under the plastic shield. It's not based completely on speed because if I sit in the driveway and rev the engine I can hear it. There may or may not be a smell of something in the compartment when driving, its a very phantom smell that is sort of like something engine like burning, maybe. At highway speeds sitting in 6th gear at 2k RPMs its a constant noise. When I slow down to side streets its there as well, sounds like one of those little mechanical engines that power kids toys.

Any ideas? Will be trying to take it in later this week if there is a service appointment available.

Well, no responses but I figure I will update anyway.

It's the transfer case. The dealer is replacing it today, warranty covering it.

So that's that.

Well, no responses but I figure I will update anyway.

It's the transfer case. The dealer is replacing it today, warranty covering it.

So that's that.

Another one bites the dust. Glad you got it diagnosed, and that warranty is covering it.

Just for clarity for others who look at the thread later, what's the mileage on her?

51k, so right in line with what everyone else has been experiencing. Smell in the passenger compartment, a whining noise that sounded like a small toy battery powered engine coming from the upper section of the engine where I took the picture, and not really based on speed, RPMs or anything.

So yeah, good on Mazda and the dealer for swapping it out with no issue.

Lets get another 50 and 5 years out of this car!

Back