Improve low RPM throttle lag and throttle linearity (quick and easily reversible)

Update: I now have a CEL, and it seems that throttle response is back to laggy after a certain amount of time. Throttle linearity is still there however.

This is definitely a fascinating issue. I always attributed the low-rpm throttle lag to having a relatively heavy OEM flywheel.

The lag is definitely coded in somehow, not due to physical limitations. Its an environmentally friendly type deal; its more efficient to gradually apply the gas and for revs to hang on a little after you let go of the gas pedal.

I have a OBD II scanner, so no biggie on the CEL. Oh well, back to square 1.

So I decided to run the same test as hli with all cables plugged in, but with my tuned ECU. There was very little lag, just like the in the "unplugged" run in the earlier video. So it seems like tuning absolutely does fix this problem.

If you do it from idle, is it lag free as well? I noticed you set off from 1.5k RPM.

Okay, I tried it again at the lowest moving RPM I could get, and I got a lag effect like what you showed in the video. At anything higher than idle, though, the response is almost instant (i.e. 0.37 seconds in my video above).

I also decided to do a little more in-depth analysis of your original video. In the first stock run, the time between hitting the pedal and the first visible tach movement is 0.63 seconds. With the cable unplugged, this time is reduced to 0.47 seconds, a difference of 0.16 seconds. Out of curiosity, I also measured the time between initial tach movement and 2,000 RPM, and the results were 1.2 seconds stock and 1.07 seconds unplugged, a difference of 0.13 seconds.

Improve low RPM throttle lag and throttle linearity (quick and easily reversi...

This might be a solution. http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/elec...roller-harness-2011-2013-mazda-mazda-323.html

Although after installing the Racing Beat axle back exhaust it feels like it has alleviated this issue for me.

So If I'm reading their ad right, for $257 you get only one part of what a full tune offers. For only $150 more ($100 on the GB) you'd get the benefits of a full tune. Doesn't seem worth it to me, unless it's a $58 part and done.

This might be a solution. http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/elec...roller-harness-2011-2013-mazda-mazda-323.html

Although after installing the Racing Beat axle back exhaust it feels like it has alleviated this issue for me.

I believe all of these throttle controllers do the same thing; they plug in between the throttle position sensor in the pedal and the ecu and trick the ecu into thinking the pedal is pressed down more than it actually i . It makes the car feel livlier, but destroys throttle linearity and doesn't decrease response times. I believe what we are experiencing is hard coded into the ecu, so short of a tune that specifically targets the zero position throttle mapping or somehow tricking the ecu into a non eco map (which was what I was trying to accomplish by tricking the ecu into thinking the clutch was always depressed), I doubt there will be a way to increase throttle response.

Back