Just saying hi, first post!

romejdusty

:
Mazda Protege5
Hi all! I bought my 2003 p5 in may of last year with 128k miles and she has treated me good. I have had to replace spark plugs, O2 sensor, thermostat, two front panel speakers, and a water pump. I recently got the opportunity to sell her for a very good price but turned it down because this car has definitely grown on me. I am planning to start improving the car starting with the suspension. This will be my first time improving the performance of a car, so I am very excited! To do list for the next few months, in order:

Yellowspeed coilovers
Msp rear sway bar
Msp "p5" axleback
Either some mx-5 wheels or enkei rpf1's
Good quality tires

Main reason I am not really going for the power route is because after some research it seems like it is just too much of a hassle if you are not going to install a turbo. The p5 feels a little under powered to me and around 30 more hp is a good goal. I am open to the idea of forced induction, but I thought it might be a little too much to take on for my first ever project and feels more like wishful thinking than anything else. In the meantime, maybe you guys can suggest some upgrades that you can do to a car that might one day be turbo'd? Or is it easy enough to get 30 hp na? :)

for the amount you'll be spending for 30 extra hp on an fsde it would probably be cheaper to just go with a msp turbo kit.

good idea on tackling the suspension first though, they'll definitely make the car a lot more fun to drive!

I have to say for being 130HP this vehicle handles Highway 17 and the I-80 to Reno no problem.

If you don't intend on having passengers you could always strip out the interior.

for the power this car has it is light on its feet. granted it wont beat anybody in a head to head drag but it will eat their lunch on twisties. me and my friend go down fm 1187 from my house to his house (benbrook,tx to a little past aledo,tx) and he has a new focus st (double the power of my p5) however i can keep right on him if i start ahead i can stay ahead until the 1/3 mile straight almost to his house then he is able to get enough speed to get around me (he picks up speed too fast for the p5 to even blink yet) but we both have fun trying to get around each other and we usually swap the lead many times we usually start side by side and then go and see how long each can hold the other off.

these cars were designed to be fun on back roads. not race head to head. although i can beat the idiots in scions and honda civics that think their cars are fast.

Last edited:
Back