How are you guys doing on fuel?

ArshxD

:
Mazda 2 1.3L MT
Considering how strangely satisfying the 2s little engine is to rev out/downshift on every overtake I've been doing average over a year. 10km/L or 23.5 mpg consisting of a combination of city streets and mountain roads almost exclusively.

I mean seriously how could you not?
Screenshot_270.png

I never seem to get less than 30mpg out of a tank, 100% city. Not every stoplight is a drag race, but I definitely drive it with more spirit than would be considered normal. If I'm really careful, I can get 36mpg out of it, but I tend to average around 33mpg (I'm surprised by how little of a difference there is between my babying the throttle and laying into it).

Click the link in my signature to find out ;)

(I've missed recording a few fill-ups since moving to Seattle, but the gist is the same: 30 mpg around town, low 40s on the freeway unless I'm on a flat, long road trip and am not speeding)

I get about 33 MPG, with spirited driving and wider than normal tires. Mostly lower speed highway and city mix. I grew up with curves and hills, and I miss them. The best I get are limited access highway ramps and city corners (along with the occasional autocross).

How is the road quality on the marcos highway? I didn't get a chance to go out that direction last time I was there.

Derrick

How is the road quality on the marcos highway? I didn't get a chance to go out that direction last time I was there.

Derrick

Irregular. I'd say there's 20% of it that's really smooth, 60% that's so so, 20% old patched up asphalt. That's strictly the road itself. probably 50% of the corners on there don't have guardrails. But it is a really good road to drive on, probably would make an awesome hillclimb course. The best part though is that the road itself leads to even more twisties, probably 200-300km more. Though it's safest to drive dawn/daytime, since there's zero visibility at night and again no guardrails on some corners.

I'm averaging about 32mpg this winter in the Northeast US. We've had a lot of storms, so a lot of fuel wasted running the car while cleaning it off, and in traffic. Tire pressures at 34-35psi.

I averaged 32.6mpg in my last tank of fuel driving 50% city, 50% highway. And I did some spirited driving when exiting and entering highways.

I'm currently averaging 33-34mpg mixed city/hwy.

I get 29-30mpg hwy on long trips. :(
But, perhaps I need to slow down. :)

Mike

I'm getting 8-9L/100km, and I drive fairly sedate, tire pressures good. What manner of voodoo witchcraft are you all doing to get such great gas mileage?

Well, I don't live in Markham and have to deal with people up my butt all the time, so there's that. If I'm keeping it under 4k RPM, everything seems to line-up with my averages quite well.

My mixed driving of 70% city of Chicago streets and 30% highway yields around 28 MPG, which is terrible but considering I drive spirited as much as possible and have to deal with lots of traffic its not too bad.

My last tank, 90% city/urban driving, 38MPG. My best yet.

I can't anywhere near this mileage when I get on the hwy.

Mike

I found an article (edmunds) where researchers reported the in-dash economy reading is biased high. I haven't done any tank-to-tank measurements yet. What sort of accuracy are people seeing?

Well, I don't live in Markham and have to deal with people up my butt all the time, so there's that. If I'm keeping it under 4k RPM, everything seems to line-up with my averages quite well.

I have a very light foot, I always anticipate traffic speed changes to avoid unnecessary acceleration and deceleration, and after 60,000 km on my Mazda 3 I still had 50% of the brake pads remaining. That should tell you a lot about my driving. Yet I get 9 l/100 km in my 2015 CX-5 GT in mixed city/highway driving. I'm astonished at the fuel efficiency reported here and in Mazda 3 forums. I never get anywhere close to the fuel efficiency many report.

Back