2001 Protege Rear Suspension Issue

bowiefan

:
mazda protege
Fellow Forum Members: Any help would be appreciated on this issue. I had rusted out rear strut mounts replaced on my 2001 Protege last October. The towers were good and sound. I went ahead then and had a mechanic replace the rear struts, mounts, bellows and bumpers using all KYB products. When I got the car back from him, I noticed a squeak from the drivers side rear mount over bumps so I took it back to him and he test drove it and said that "the rubber donut in some replacement mounts are a little noisy when compressed and the noise was normal". He said to "expect some noise". Over the past few months the squeak has turned into a full blown rattle making noise all the time and you can push on the cars rear bumper and hear the rattle and it sounds like it is coming from the mount. It definitely sound like something is loose. I also have noticed that there is a slight bumpy rattle starting on the passenger rear suspension over the past couple of weeks. It seems highly unlikely that I received two bad mounts or struts from KYB. I purchased them from Rock Auto new in the box. Any ideas as to what could be going on? Would it be a parts issue or a mechanic that didn't know what he was doing issue?

It's very unlikely that the parts are at fault. If you have a good alignment shop (in town) that installs suspensions, have them throw your car on a lift to poke around. New rubber should not squeak.

He's right about the new rubber not squeaking.^^^ New rubber is soft and flexible, it shouldn't squeak if its oriented in the correct position. I'd take it to another shop to get a second opinion.

Back