Extended Warrantee??

Don't feel bad. They are highly trained to do exactly that!

Here is an excerpt from BankRate.com - Car Gap Insurance: Is It Worth The Cost?

.....one of the biggest mistakes consumers make in buying car gap insurance is to buy it at the dealership where it costs more. "It's the belief that you can only purchase it from the vehicle manufacturer at the time of sale," he says. "The truth is that you can purchase it any time and insurance companies are less expensive."

Remember. The profit margin for ext warranty to the dealers is about 50%.
It is about risk management.
If you can handle the worst case scenario, you will win by probability.

Don't feel bad. They are highly trained to do exactly that!

"It's the belief that you can only purchase it from the vehicle manufacturer at the time of sale,"
[/INDENT]

That's exactly what she told me. Then she told me there was no way to cancel yesterday.

The insurance company says otherwise. I haven't been delivered a vehicle, therefore I don't have a policy, in their eyes.

My insurance company has a no-depreciation rider for the first two years. And the last two years that in paying off the vehicle it will surely be worth more than the loan. So it's only years 3&4 where I assume any risk at all. And I'll have paid off half the vehicle by the end of year 3. So it's really just year three that I'm getting covered for, if the car depreciates faster than my loan that year.

That gap has to exceed the $1800 they're going to charge for the policy. I'll be canceling absolutely.

It's shady that they work this way. They tire you out during the sales haggle round, then prey on your excitement and navet during this 'paperwork' round. In hindsight there were signs that this doesn't pass the smell test. A good way to recoup discounts on the sale I suppose.

I found that article yesterday too after talking to my insurance broker. I wasn't informed enough at the time of sale; she said it was a brand new product, and that it had to be decided right then.

Ridiculous.

It does have to be decided right then.... from HER perspective. Because once you walk out the door, there is nothing that is going to make you come back and buy it; especially after you have googled the topic or talked to your insurance agent like you have done.

No, it's there to protect you if you total your car when you owe more than what your car is currently worth when you total it.

Today's the day folks. Got the GAP cancelled because my own insurance has a 'no depreciation' rider for $50/yr for 2 years.

Picking the new rig up this aft!

Check out AAA. They have extended warranties that are far cheaper than what the dealers charge.

Also, check out TrueDelta with regard to reliability and common repairs. The CX9 is a very reliable vehicle overall. The main problem with CX9 AWD has been the transfer case. Mazda has issued a statement last year that they will cover those for ??? years and ???? miles which is above the original 5yr/60,000 mile power train warranty.

The transfer case is the only repair I have had on my CX9 in four+ years.

You can shop around. No need to buy the warranty from your dealer, or even right away. You can usually wait to get it anytime before the original warranty expires. I think that's the way to go. That way you don't buy the warranty until you know you like the car and want to keep it for a while. You'll also have some sense of reliability. I got a 100K warranty right before the original warranty expired. I'm at 95K and still no problems. The only issue was a crushed seat belt receiver (it got crushed by one of the folding seats somehow) and that was about $70, below my deductible. I have a few other nit-picky things I may have looked at before the 100K runs out. So I guess I overpaid but that's the nature of insurance and warranties. You want to get your money's worth but you're even happier if you never use them.

honestly, the cx9 is a fairly reliable car. i don't see it as worth the money.

if you want the peace of mind, stick 50 bucks a month into an online savings account. that way you stash some away now and you save on the interest you'll pay with it as part of your loan.

I know everyone typically makes fun of extended warranties however on each of my last 4 vehicles they have paid for themselves with work done. Had a heater core go out on one, an axle seal break which led to a whole axle replacement on another, a navigation unit crap out on another. I purchased my CX-9 new, but got an extended warranty to take the bumper to bumper from 36k to 100k. $3200.00 sounds high mine was only $1800.00 but that may be dealership and local value.

Back