My 02 P5 Build

:
Protege5
Brought this home yesterday. 02 P5, 5 speed, Pure white. The only option it came with is a power moonroof, which works great. Supposedly has ABS, but I don't have any light for it on the cluster, and it didn't seem to work when I locked the wheels up in my driveway. It's got 160k.

I paid 1800 for the car, knowing it has some issues. The worst of them being that it smokes like a freight train for the first 10 minutes after a cold start. It runs great though, and drives nicely.

The Bad:
Rust spot on passengers rear fender, and some minor specs above windshield. See photos.
Throwing a P0037 code.
Bad lock solenoid, on passengers door

The Good:
Runs and drives well
Has 3" Magnaflow cat-back. Sounds pretty good.
Everything seems to work.

Today I did a compression test (160-175 across the board, warm) and check the plugs. It has Bosch Platinums in it right now, they look pretty new. I also fixed the radio/mirrors (blown fuse), and took the haze off the headlights.

More to come, I may end up switching this engine if I can't get it to stop burning oil.

Last edited:
Nice, i love them white p5's. I had a choice from a white and a red, but choose the red cuase it was alote cheaper and lightly moded. Still wish i had gotten the white one.

Change the plugs to NGK, these cars don't do well with Bosch, neither does the family car.

That's what I figured. Did a search and it seems like NGK V Power is generally favored, so I'll put those in.

Before I bought this car I was interested in Celicas and did a little research on them. Their 1ZZFE 4 cylinder has prominent oil burning problems. The problem with that motor is that the drain holes in the pistons clog and stop returning oil.

I know that my engine has good compression so the compression rings aren't the problem.. That leaves the oil rings. Since I know this engine has been neglected, they're probably full of carbon and aren't sealing well when the engine is cold. Hopefully a few treatments of solvent on the top of the piston will help free them up. We'll see though.

Last edited:
Gave each cylinder a shot of Seafoam last night and threw it back together this morning with NGK plugs.. It runs better with the NGK's, I don't know if the Seafoam helped or not yet. It did smoke this morning but I'm sure some of that was Seafoam.

Valve stem seals tend to go on these motors so I would check that as well. Welcome to the protege world.

Valve stem seals tend to go on these motors so I would check that as well. Welcome to the protege world.

I considered that too, but I've never seen a valve seal create this amount of smoke. Thanks for the welcome, I'm certainly enjoying the car.

Valve stem seals cause oil burning on many cars when they wear out. For our cars its just more common than others.

The stem seals on our Corolla and my pickup are bad.. They just puff a little blue smoke when you start them. This car rolls the smoke like crazy, and continues to for about 3-5 minutes. I'm pretty sure it's the oil rings, like in these threads.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...nings-and-leaking-oil-from-exhaust-port/page2
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123770462-Smoke-on-cold-start

I let it sit for several hours today and it is still smoking badly. Seafoam didn't seem to help anything. I'm gonna start getting parts together and prepare to put rings in it with the engine in the car. I don't think a solvent is going to help me out much.

It could be oil rings since they do go bad around 200,000 kms from people I know who have had that problem. If I were you I'd start watchin ur oil consumption.

Started it up this morning and it didn't hardly smoke.. Just a minor cloud for about two minutes and then it cleared up. Maybe the Seafoam did something after all.

I'm gonna give it another shot tonight in each cylinder to see if it helps any more.

After noticing that my head light alignment is completely screwed up, I found out that one low beam bulb was held in with tape, and the other by a prayer. The moron previous owner decided to toss the clips.

If anybody has any clips laying around, I would gladly take them off your hands. Closest scrapyard with a Mazda is 100 miles away.

Picked up a set of used tires for 80 bucks. The pair for the front are Goodyear Eagles, and a Bridgestone and Hankook for the rear, all 205/55-16. I'm not a big fan of used tires, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the stock wheels yet. These are way better than what I have right now anyway.

I'm gonna pick up some of the parts for the rebuild from Autozone tomorrow. They will price match Rockauto after shipping, I just have to pay sales tax. It will be a lot simpler in the event that I need to make a return.

The only thing Autozone can't get is rod bearings and the Gates timing belt.

I decided against rebuilding this engine. Properly rebuilding it would have cost 1000+ and the car would be down for a week because of machine work.

I placed the order for my engine from JDMenginescorp today, should have it next week sometime. I used my credit card, so I'll have some protection in the event that the deal goes badly.

I also ordered an Exedy clutch kit and radiator hoses. I will be tearing it apart next weekend, assuming the weather is decent. With any luck it'll be back together before Monday.

Last edited:
I have a small update.

My engine has been delayed due to weather. We have another storm system rolling in tonight that will more than likely delay it into next week.

My new headunit arrived yesterday, so I decided to put that in. I have always been a Pioneer guy, but this time I decided to try out a Boss double din.. I know about the negative stigma that Boss has, but this unit has really good reviews, so I figured it was worth a try. It was 150 bucks shipped, including a harness and dash kit. Has bluetooth and all that..

Getting the old unit out was real pain.. I didn't have the removal tools, so I fashioned some from a coat hanger. Progress with those was dismal at best, so I decided to thread a couple of drywall screws into the upper holes on the radio face to get something to pull on. I got two good pulls in before the plastic face ripped off.

After that I pulled up the metal plate that was under the plastic face and was able to get a better view of the retainer clips. After some fiddling it finally pulled out.

Harness all soldered and DIN cage installed. I went ahead and hooked up the remote and RCA's so I don't have to remove the HU again. I stuffed them under the drivers seat for now. I will run them under the carpet when I finish my subwoofer box and install the amp. I also ran a USB cable into the glovebox.

The finished product:

It really bothers me that a bezel was not included to cover the gap between the radio and dash... I'll have to rig something up, I hate the way it looks.

The HU works like a dream though.. Does everything I need it to. You'll have to forgive the blurry pics, the lens on my phone must be dirty.

The system will consist of the Boss HU, a Rockford Fosgate 1050S amp, and a Digital Designs 3512 sub. I have a Memphis 1/0 kit to tie it all together. Eventually door speakers and an amp for them, but I'm not all that concerned about it right now, especially with the impending engine swap.

I drew up a design for the box. 2.5 net cubes ported at 35hz.

The DD should bump pretty good off of 1050 watts RMS. I'm really curious to see how it'll sound. I also have a 15" TC9 motor that I might recone for this car. This is all stuff I already have, so no huge investment loss if it doesn't turn out the way I wanted.

Here are some photos of the sub. It's an older K series motor from 2003. The coils still measure perfect and it's in good shape, but the surround is kinda rough. I am gonna get a universal surround kit for it, and try to get a new carbon fiber dust cap from DD. I bought the sub a couple of years ago on CL for 50 bucks.

My clutch kit came in as well:

Back