505 Cold Air Box Round 2 *GB*

(rockon)

Production is finally ready to begin on the new and improved 505 Cold Air Box. This version has all of the same benefits and features as the first gen boxes:

CIMG2444.jpg

Benefits:

Lower intake air temps (testing shows average 5 degrees above ambient outside air temps, shielding your filter from the up to 180+ degree underhood temp)
No hydro-lock issues like every other Protege CAI
Much cleaner filter location than other CAI's, prolonging filter life and extending time between cleanings
Looks great under the hood (anodized black or silver finish is standard, also available bare if you want to do your own custom finish)

Boxes include:

Trim-Lok edging
Attached quarter-turn quick-release DZUS fasteners
IAT sensor port
Stainless steel mounting hardware

Piping kits include:

T6 aluminum piping
Silicone couplers
Clamps
Hose
Breather port
1" BPV port on turbo models (optional)

In addition to the above, the 2nd generation boxes are now designed to work with any BJ platform headlight! This means that you '99-'00 owners can now get in on the fun!

The overall shape has been changed a little bit from the original to eliminate the need for a specific box style depending on what headlight you have, so it now looks like this:

CIMG5922.jpg

Full kits are available that include everything you need - box, filter, piping, and hardware. There are 4 different full kit styles available - N/A, MSP, and 3" turbo. Full 4" systems are custom (I will work with you and go over pictures to get you the best possible system for your setup).

- N/A uses 2.5" piping plumbed straight to the throttle body (with the MAF in the middle).
- MSP is for stock-ish setups that use the stock turbo and have the MAF on the intake pipe.
- 3" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 3" compressor inlet.
- 4" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 4" compressor inlet.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you relocate your MAF on the MSP setups. The piping and filter setup is MUCH better.

Individual pieces are also available- the Cold Air Box by itself if you want to fab your own piping, or piping kits if you want a quality lower-cost SRI setup without the box.

Options and Estimated Pricing:

Box only (3") = $209
Box (3") + filter = $229
Piping Kit only (N/A, MSP, 3") = $129
Piping Kit (N/A, MSP, 3") + filter = $149
Box + Piping Kit (N/A, 3") = $309
Box + Piping Kit (MSP) = $319
Full C.A.B. Kit (N/A, 3") = $329
Full C.A.B. Kit (MSP with relocated MAF) = $339
Full C.A.B. Kit (4", MSP with non-relocated MAF) = $359

* Final pricing will be announced before deposits are taken, but I do not expect these to go up much if any. If we get 20+ people it might be possible to bring pricing down.
**All prices do not include shipping. Actual shipping costs for your location will be due when your kit is ready to ship.
*** Custom upcharge options are available (within reason). Let me know if you want something different (no window, no A/C line cutouts, upgraded filter, etc) and I will see what I can do for you.

Deposits will be taken once the list hits 10 or more people, and production will then begin. Estimated time from deposit to delivery is 6-8 weeks.

Batch 2 is all sold out. Please PM me if you are interested in getting on the waiting list for batch 3.

1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes *SHIPPED*
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no *SHIPPED*
3. atlracer25 - MSP kit - black - BPV yes - relocated MAF *SHIPPED*
4. gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
5. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid *SHIPPED*
6. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black *BOXED*
7. ZealoustheEnder - Box + MSP Piping (relocated MAF) - BPV no *SHIPPED*
8. Linuxracr - 3" Box + piping - Black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
9. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
10. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
11. Anonymous - Full N/A Kit - Black *SHIPPED*

Last edited:
Ill start things off shal I

1. Hammo - 4" full kit for GTX3076R, Black, BPV Yes

Last edited:
1. Hammo - 4" full kit for GTX3076R (msp), Black, BPV Yes
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping for T3/T4E (msp), black, BPV no

1. Hammo - 4" full kit for GTX3076R (msp), Black, BPV Yes
3.Gabi - msp 3" full kit (black). BPV yes

I need to clarify that the MSP version is for guys running a stock turbo and a non-relocated MAF. If you are running a turbo with 3" or larger inlet AND have your MAF moved to the charge pipe then you don't need the MSP version (which includes a required smaller filter so the MAF can fit inside the box, and a reducer coupler to mate up with the stock compressor inlet).

If you are running a stock turbo and have a relocated MAF, this is going to be a custom setup and is actually priced between the MSP kit and 3" turbo kit.

Sorry for the confusion on that, I will update the OP with this info.

Also a quick note that I HIGHLY recommend relocating your MAF on the MSP setups with this box. The piping and filter system for the relocated MAF kit is MUCH better. I still offer the option for people that either can't or are opposed to relocating the MAF, but I do not feel like it is the ideal way to go.

I know this is probably a dumb question, I really want one of these but I currently have my cold pipe running through that hole where the box will be sitting. I see that you have your cold pipe routed differently, where exactly is it going through?

I know this is probably a dumb question, I really want one of these but I currently have my cold pipe running through that hole where the box will be sitting. I see that you have your cold pipe routed differently, where exactly is it going through?

I used the iON routing when I did those pipes... so it just goes through a hole I made in the sidewall there. I will try to dig up a pic for ya.

edit - Here is an old one from when I installed the iON kit back in '03. Kind of a crappy pic I know... I'll see if I have any others from when I did the new pipes.

dsc00425smaller.jpg

edit 2 - Here is my current setup:

pipeproject2.JPG

pipeproject1.JPG

Last edited:
Also another question my coolant reservoir is in the place where the box would be and I see that you moved it, where exactly did you mount it? Also in the pictures above does it have the 3 inch intake pipe? The reason I say this is because I currently have a short ram that is 2.5 and it almost hits my mishimoto fans with shroud. So I basically want the 3 inch but I want to know if you designed this to have clearance with the mishimoto shroud and fans thank you

I mounted the coolant tank on the front passenger side bolt of the battery tray.

The pics above are with the 3" intake pipe. I haven't seen the mishi shroud in person and am not sure if anybody was running it from the first GB, so I can't say for certain that it would work. Keep in mind though that the 3" pipe would only add .25" towards the radiator right at the turbo coupler, and then it is angled slightly away from the radiator to hook up to the box. My guess is that it would fit.

Ill fix mine up then

2. msp14 - 3" box + piping for T3/T4E, black, BPV no

Fixed mine as well.

3. Gabi - msp 3" full kit (black). BPV yes
4. LinuxRacr - sedan - 3 inch piping - turbo - black - BPV = HELL NO!

5. atlracer25 - Full C.A.B. Kit (MSP, relocated MAF), silver, BPV yes

5. atlracer25 - Full C.A.B. Kit (MSP, relocated MAF), silver, BPV yes
6. Boubou22 - Full MSP C.A.B Kit ( P5 headlight, no a/c cutout, Relocated MAF) silver, BPV yes

Piping from other CAI's will not work without modifying them.
But it is very possible. All I scored was the actual box and did my own piping from other SRI/CAI parts on hand............I love this setup but would like a badge if they become available. Added some rivets to secure the window to the lid................pic hoin out my NA setup with LED hoodlight kit.......

323F_hoodlight_05.JPG

QUESTION?????????????????....................Would the DZUS fasteners be able to be retro fitted onto the older version boxes. The flush ones are more subtle but the DZUS ones look more convenient and tool free to get in there....not that I need to go in there very often.

Thanks for posting the pic. Very nice job on the piping, that bay looks fantastic.

The fasteners you have actually are DZUS fasteners, they are just slotted instead of butterfly. I did those slotted ones for a few customers as a custom option in the first GB. The 2 styles are otherwise identical, so yes it is very possible to switch them. All that needs to be done is to drill out the old rivets holding the male side of the fastener, then rivet in the new one. The receiver (wire) side is the exact same on both.

Back