Mazda 5 Audio / Radio connector pinout + Steering Wheel control questions

floriske.nl

:
Mazda 5 exclusive sport 2006
Mazda 5 - 2006 multiple (head unit) questions

I bought myself a DVD/NAV Windows CE head unit and 2 din (178x100mm) dash frame for my 2006 Mazda 5.

I'm working on a wiring harness for it. For this I bought a fully wired Mazda connector and some ISO connectors (to make it usable on other units in the future as well).

The problem is that I found multiple different pinout schematics for the Mazda connector:

View attachment Mazda 5 Connector Pinouts.xls

As you can see in the above Excel sheet the 3 schematics I found differ on multiple pins. Can somebody confirm which of the 3 is correct?

---

Furthermore I'm having doubts about the steering wheel controls. As far as I could find the car uses resistance based controls which I can directly connect to the Head unit which has a "learning" function for each button.

The head unit has 2 wires "Key 1" and "Key 2". These aren't "signal" and "gnd" for a single panel, but can be used for 2 diffent button panels. Since I couldn't figure out how to connect these I had a look at the PAC SWI RC user manual since that had a wiring advice for the 2006 Mazda 5. That manual stated that one wire of the panel goes to the unit's steering wheel control input and the other to the chassis ground.

Based on this I figured I need to do the same on my head unit: one wire on Key 1 and the other connected to chassis ground. Can somebody confirm this is correct?

---

Last but not least I was wondering where you guys placed the GPS antenna and what would be the best spot to connect the "Reverse" wire of the head unit to? Is there a spot in the front/dashboard to connect this wire to (e.g. near the shifter) or should I connect it to the reverse light +.

Last edited:
In the meantime I found a workshop manual.

Someone edited this manual and marked a lot of parts in red or crossed them out. I reckon this was done because these parts did not relate to his or her car. But still it was a great help figuring out the exact audio connector pinout.

View attachment Mazda 5 Connector Pinouts.xls

Regarding the "TNS Relay" and "Instrument Cluster" Pins for the illumination I did some google searching and found that "TNS Relay" turns the illumination on and off and the "Instrument cluster" pin is the dimmer. So for the head unit I need the one that turns on/off the illumination and (since these aftermarket units don't support dimming) the other one can be left unconnected. Am still hoping someone can confirm this though.

Edit: did some more research on these 2 pins and turns out they work as following:

• TNS Relay pin: This is basically a 12V pint that becomes "hot" as soon as the lights are turned on.
• Instrument Cluster pin: this is supposedly an active-low PWM dimmer

If you would want a light to be switched together with the car lights and dimmed by the cars dimmer circuit you need to connect the light between those 2 pins. The + of the light goes onto the TNS Relay pin, the GND onto the dimmer pin (in this case GND of the light may not be connected to the chassis ground as well!!).

So basically if your head unit/radio has a single illumination wire you can only have it turn on/off by using the TNS relay pin. If it has dedicated + and GND wires for the illumination you can connect it between these 2 pins and it will be dimmed as well.

Last edited:
Now I've figured out the radio connector I only have one question left:

What would be the best spot to pick up the back up light signal (to activate the unit's back up camera) and parking brake signal.

In the workshop manual wiring diagram I found that 2 of the navigation unit connectors actually contain the back up signal (page 186 of the WD, connectors 0920-309 and 0920-311), but I don't know if cars without the navigation unit actually have these connectors in their wiring loom?

Same goes for the parking brake (page 182 connector 0920-308).

Edit: does anyone know how to access the location for the factory "navigation unit" (page 185 of the WD) and "rear view monitor control module" (page 183) or how to remove the dash panel above the radio (containing the info display). If one of these locations is easy to access I can have a look if the wiring loom for the nav unit is present.

Edit 2: nevermind, found how to remove the glove compartment and center panel in the workshop manual. The glove compartment involves quite a lot of work, the center panel with info display requires just 2 screws and a few clips to be loosened, but even if the connectors for the nav LCD screen are there they don't contain the back up signal.

p.s. forgot to thank deisz001 for pointing me out to the workshop manual, thx!

Last edited:
Looking at the car's wiring diagram I think the easiest way to connect the reverse camera is by connecting it's power to one of the back up lights (eventhough the camera preferably needs to be mounted in the tail gate and the backup lights are in the side units) . Removing the glove compartment to trace the signal there would be a lot more work.

My camera's video signal cable also has a wire for the signal to let the head unit know it's activated. In case of using the backup light as power source for the camera this be connected to the + of the reverse camera's power input which would result in the camera being powered as soon as you put the car in reverse which on it's turn also let's the head unit know the camera view should be activated.

Mocked up a quick schematic:

Camera connection.jpg

Edit: my head unit came with a camera that has to be mounted to e.g. the licence plate holder, but am thinking about buying one of these which replaces the licence plate light cover:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Will look into the cracks.

Last edited:
Backup light wire is Red/Yellow in the passenger kick panel. The large harness that goes toward the back.

For steering wheel controls -> Connect the KEY1 wire to Pin 10 (Red/Black) of the vehicle connector. Connect Pin 9 (Green/White) of the radio connector to chassis ground. Easy as that.

Please share how you solved this. I have the same problem, with an 2 din wince unit, being conected to steering wheel control. I have conected the key 1 & 2 from the wincd unit to key 1 & 2 in the car harness, and it do not work :-( please help me....

I have solved it :)

It has to be done as described above,: (1N) one wire on Key 1 and the other (1P) connected to chassis ground.

Back