In general are Mazdas reliable?

maz2da

:
Mazda 3
Years ago I owned a celica that i totalled when it had 205k miles on it. To that day it still ran smooth. For you guys who have been around mazdas for a while now, how long do they generally last?

Last edited:
I've never heard of any major reliability issues with the 2. That's part of why I bought one. That said, it's a little Japanese car. Properly maintain it, and it'll take care of you for a long time.

I've never owned anything that wasn't a Mazda. Every one I've had, that was properly maintained by it's previous owners, has been reliable. (the 2 is my first brand new car) Obviously, with the older ones, small bits broke or wore out rather often, but the major components were just fine. I don't keep buying Mazdas for no reason.

Last edited:
To answer your second question, sometimes 2nd isn't the easiest gear to get into. If I'm not careful I can end up missing the gate by just a bit which will cause it to grind, and sometimes it just feels like it doesn't slip into gear as easily as it will with 3rd or 4th. For me this usually happens in >3k rpm, but below 6k. It seems to help a lot if you just try to take a few more milliseconds to shift rather than just bang it through.

Almost every Mazda I've owned seems to have had that issue. 1-2 upshift is never smooth, but every one after that you can bang it in, no problem.

Well, it is a 100hp city car, meant to be driven reliably every day for years and years. You have to compromise somewhere.

How long will they last?

giphy.gif

:D

I'll add my shifts feel good. I have solid shifter bushings from DDMWorks though.

Its an economy car trans, you can't be granny shiftin' and not double clutching like you should....

(laugh)

Last edited:
Yeah I'm stock. One day I'll order the DDMworks short throw shifter. I like the stock shift knob so it won't likely be changed.

http://www.ddmworks.com/Mazda-2-Short-Shifterby-DDMWorks_p_421.html

I've got no experience with CS or DDMworks, but personally I think DDMworks is better because its at the shifter end, not trans end.. If you decrease throws by losing leverage at the trans end, you are putting more stress/force on the cables(and cable ends). Changing your leverage at the shifter prevents the added stress from being put on the cables.

Real world results I've never heard or seen a failure or problem with CS STS, so the reality is there is probably no reason to be concerned, this is just an observation on the two available.

I have been beating a Mazda 2 for 3 years now racing it in B-Spec and the car has been trouble free, the driver has failed a few times resulting in crash damage though.

What transmission fluid do you have in your 2?

-Derrick

I have the DDM shifter bushings and short throw kit on my 2, and they're amazing. The stock trans is already miles ahead of the competition, but these mods put it on another level. That 3-4 shift is like a hit of cocaine it's so satisfying. :D

For the shift knob, I've been using Cobb's delrin knob. It's much lighter than stock, and I actually prefer this because it transmits a lot more feel through the shifter. IMO it's the perfect setup, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Back