New here, from Canada

:
Mazda 2 Touring 2011
I just wanted to say hi to all the fellow Mazda 2 owners. I've owned mine since 2012 (bought it with 32 km on it) and have enjoyed it ever since.
The only upgrade I have installed so far is the Corksport short ram intake and I love the sound it has. More upgrades coming when the bank account permits it (cheers)(canada)

Decided to post a picture of the intake
attachment.php

The filter with the intake kit is a K&N Hybrid aka no oil type.

Derrick

Hello, fellow Canuck~ (canada)

With your intake, I'm curious what kind of IAT (intake air temp) you are getting at idle and during cruising. Is there any chance that you might be able to get a reading for that?

I can share some data from my own logs. On what I recall to be a pretty hot day in June, idle temp was 43c and accelerating at WOT it dropped to 26c at 100km/hr. Cruising around town at 60km/hr, intake temp was 25c.

On a much cooler day in May, idle temp was 27c and quickly dropped to 14c at 20km/hr, and then 11c at WOT at 100km/hr. It remained around 11c through the rest of the cruise.

It should be noted that all these measurements were made with both the Corksport SRI and Air Duct.

I can share some data from my own logs. On what I recall to be a pretty hot day in June, idle temp was 43c and accelerating at WOT it dropped to 26c at 100km/hr. Cruising around town at 60km/hr, intake temp was 25c.

On a much cooler day in May, idle temp was 27c and quickly dropped to 14c at 20km/hr, and then 11c at WOT at 100km/hr. It remained around 11c through the rest of the cruise.

It should be noted that all these measurements were made with both the Corksport SRI and Air Duct.
Very nice! Seems like our cars draw in cool, fresh air pretty nicely, and the CS SRI + air duct works very well as well. (2thumbs)

I imagine my intake will draw in warmer air since I don't have the air duct installed. I will check my torque app to see if it will show air temperature.

I imagine my intake will draw in warmer air since I don't have the air duct installed. I will check my torque app to see if it will show air temperature.

Actually, if you just disconnect the factory intake tube and leave the duct over the radiator, the intake temp doesn't raise that much at all... I've been getting ambient to 2% higher during Autocross runs all summer on a modified Injen CAI short tube setup I modified. The SRI duct isn't needed, but it does help flush out stale air when moving.. At idle, you are still heat soaking.

It just channels the air towards the filter. Not necessarily a duct that's 100% effective since it doesn't have a shroud surrounding the filter, but it does help.

It's funny how the intake air inlet works on the Mazda2. From the picture you see below:

attachment.php

the stock air inlet has a front-facing opening. But the moment the hood closes, it seems to me that the leading edge of the hood would block off any air from directing ramming into the front-facing intake opening.

Instead of drawing fresh air in that way, there are openings which are basically at 90 to the grill opening / incoming air stream. So with the factory ducting and airbox, I am guessing that the negative (air) pressure created by the engine must be pulling cold, fresh air in from this route.

But with an aftermarket cone filter setup like the one we see above, I don't know how the intake air path could possibly look like. With no sealed off tubing, I just don't know how that front-facing inlet is helping to draw air in anymore... But the numbers don't lie -- ScorpioGTX1 is essentially reporting IAT quite close to what must have been the ambient temperature.

Back