Factory remote start

igonutz

:
Mazda CX-9 AWD Grand Touring
If I buy a factory remote start for my 2010 CX-9 AWD grand touring, is it easy to install yourself or should the dealer do it?

Im not sure how easy it is to install - I always get it pre-installed on the vehicle when I purchase it. But I will tell you this - especially living in the midwest - it is WELL worth getting. Its so nice to go out on a winter day and have it warmed up. Good luck!

I agree with the post above, we had it installed on our CX9 when we bought it. Install isn't easy, but it's not super hard either if you're into wiring. Wires scare me, so I stay away from them :).

I wish they could integrate this into the existing Fob though, as I hate having that extra little fob for the remote start.

I just installed one a couple of months ago. Everything was plug and play plus a few wire taps. It wasn't that bad... just takes a little time and patience. Lot of sharp edges under the dash though. My hands looked like a bobcat had been scratching on them by the time I was done. Next time I'll wear some thin gloves!

I have a ton of pictures and some tips.... will try to do a write-up in the near future. Here are a couple of basic tips off the top of my head.

Read through the instructions once before starting. Then, when you start, route all of the harnesses as the directions state, but do not connect or plug them in and do not tie-wrap, tape, or secure them into position yet. Just get them loosely routed. The more you start routing them, you'll find you need to move, adjust, or re-route them. Once you have everything into position and are happy with the routing (no interference issues, ect), then start at the beginning of the instructions again and start plugging, connecting, tapping, and securing the harnesses. It just works better this way and will save a little aggravation.

I didn't like the idea of the rather larger antenna visible on the front windshield. So I found a place to secure it under the dash. I think the system was supposed to have 800 ft of range. I only needed 150 feet. I tested it in an empty parking lot and was able to get around 400 feet of range from the front of the vehicle and a little less approaching from the rear. It would probably be a little less in both directions in a congested parking lot. But, It works perfectly for our short-range needs.

We just got my wife a 2015 Mazda6 with remote start - its a lot different then the CX9. No antenna in the windshield. Remote start is still on a seperate fob, but it has an LCD display, and shows when it is running. You can also program run time up to 30 minutes. You also have the option to activate the rear window defroster. Its nice. But a goofy thing is, it is designed to stop the engine when you open the door - so every time you have to restart it after you get in. Strange. It would be nice if more of the technologies were shared between models.

Great tips @Scotch3! I look forward to the write up, as remote start is something I'm interested in, but didn't have installed when I picked up my '14.

@Bob2525, yeah the new 6 is much more in line with the JDM spec model now. I noticed on 6Club a couple weeks ago someone posted a link to the Japanese site for the new 6 options/accessories packages. The fob for remote start looked awesome, even more advanced than what you describe! From the pictures (as I can't read Japanese) it looked like it would tell you engine run time, what the climate control was set at/fan speed, defrost settings, and heated seat setting... All from the fob!! We're definitely behind with what we get here....

The CX-9's system seems pretty rudimentary, and I'm not sure if it would get anything advanced as only Australia and the US get the car (no euro or JDM model of this boat).

As far as the door opening thing, I believe it's a theft deterrent so if someone sees your car idling and tries to jump in they still need the key.

That was the difference between the CX-9 and the Mazda6. The CX-9 you can open the does, turn on the switch, and the motor never shuts off (unless you hit the break). The Mazda6 turns off as soon as you open the door so you always have to restart. But, the 6 doesnt have an ignition "switch" to turn - its pushbutton - so that may be why they had to do that. I still really love the techy stuff they have on the 6. Maybe someday the CX-9 can get some of that.

Has anyone installed the antenna somewhere else? I had mine factory installed and wish I've known where they place the antenna beforehand. They placed it on the windshield next to rear view mirror. Barely noticeable from the driver side but in plain sight from the passenger seat.

Yep, that is the location the factory calls for; most certainly for maximum range of the remote. If you read post 5 above, you'll see I mounted it under the dash and was still able to get acceptable range.

You could re-route yours if you wanted. You would need to unplug it first from the computer/module. Then just start working it back out from under the dash and the A-Pillar. I think it (A-Pillar) just unsnaps. The wire is just barely tucked above/behind the headliner. You could just pull it the rest of the way and then peel the antenna off the glass. I secured the antenna to main harness right where the remote start computer module is located. I still have a couple hundred feet of range.... much more than needed.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 13 Touring and now my wife is harping on me to get a remote starter since we traded her old car which had one. I tried to get the dealer to throw one in but they were budging but we ended up getting a pretty killer deal.

Anyways, I want to get an OEM so it won't screw up the rest of the features on the car and I plan (gulp) on installing it myself after reading the 20 pg install.

Can anyone confirm which model number will work for a 2013 Touring? There are two with sites having conflicting data.

0000-8F-N02C
0000-8F-N02B

Also where is a cheap legit place to buy it from?

Thanks

Also @Scotch3...do you have that install guide yet??(burnout)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Haven't put it together yet. But I'll try and get'r done real soon!

I picked one up from eBay.... got it for $200 if I remember correctly. It was new, never installed. I think it lists for $360 or so. I sell used parts for the classic Mazda trucks (Japanese trucks, not the re-badged Ford Rangers) and have some dealers that will give me some decent discounts. I will put a call in tomorrow and see what I can find out as far as pricing.

Mxer, if you only have two smart remotes / keys for your car, I highly recommend getting a third one. If you buy a third, you can program it yourself with the two good ones. If you only have one good one, then you'll have to make a trip to the dealer and pay their high prices to buy it and program it. So it's always good to have three working so if you loose one, you can program another on your own.

Scott, I've done a little kicking around Dallas, San Antonio, and even the metropolis of Stephenville... so I know you guys have it a lot worse in the summer than we do in South Florida. I think you'll love the remote come July!

I just have the keyless entry not the keyless ignition that's on the grand touring. Is the keyless ignition (ie the key stays in your pocket to start the car) what you are referring to as smart remotes? Or are you referring to the remote starter remotes that come with the remote starter kit? So far I've found the 0000-8F-N02C for 278, that's the cheapest I've found.

Last edited:
Ok. I was referring to the Keyless entry and the keyless ignition and the transponder key. But the same would still apply to your keyless entry remote and transponder key I'm almost certain. If you browse these threads, you'll find lots of people that only have/had two working remotes or transponder keys. Then one of them dies, or is lost, or is damaged. So they end up with only one working key. They want to get another one to replace the one that is lost, damaged or died. But if you only have one, then your only option is to go to a dealer or possibly a locksmith, and have them sell you a new key and then charge you dearly to program it to the car. Prices have quoted across the board from the $200 range up to several hundred dollars ($500+) to get an additional key or remote purchased and programmed.

But, if you have two keys right now, you can buy a 3rd and program it yourself... just have it cut at the local locksmith. Even if you don't need an additional key, it's sort of an insurance policy on loosing one in the future. Pay a little today, or a lot tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I can get a key for under 50 bucks.

The install directions all look pretty straight forward as long as you can find the correct wires. The only part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is the immobilizer ribbon mounting.

Yeah, it's all pretty straight forward. That immobilizer didn't wrap quite like the instructions showed... but it wasn't a big deal. Has been working just fine.

The main thing is what I think I mentioned earlier, lay it all in position and then go back and start making the connections.

Back