Mazda OEM Remote Start - Worth the Price?

Is the Mazda remote starter system worth the money?

• Total voters
:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
I've been contemplating investing in the remote starter for my 5 for a while now to cope with the cold in the Midwest in the winter and the Southern heat when I'm visiting family in the summer. Browsing around, I've found the remote start for as low as $262 (MazdaUSA prices it at $366) and matching hood switch for $11. Dealer quotes a two-hour install at about $200 for labor, so a grand total of ~$480. Here's the big question, though: is that money well spent?

What are your thoughts?

If you want to have the ability to start the car from inside the house, I would say absolutely. I have issue with remote starters though, that probably have more to do with me being weird. I was always taught to turn everything OFF when shutting down my car at the end of the day. The thought of leaving the HVAC on full blast when I shut the car off causes my right eye to twitch uncontrollably LOL. I have always assumed that it harms the AC compressor in particular to have power interuppted while it is running. I am probably outmoded in my thinking on that one, but as i said, Im weird. Hope I haven't completely talked you out of it, as I don't actually have a remote starter in my car, please take my post as opinion only.

If you want to have the ability to start the car from inside the house, I would say absolutely. I have issue with remote starters though, that probably have more to do with me being weird. I was always taught to turn everything OFF when shutting down my car at the end of the day. The thought of leaving the HVAC on full blast when I shut the car off causes my right eye to twitch uncontrollably LOL. I have always assumed that it harms the AC compressor in particular to have power interuppted while it is running. I am probably outmoded in my thinking on that one, but as i said, Im weird. Hope I haven't completely talked you out of it, as I don't actually have a remote starter in my car, please take my post as opinion only.

You're not alone Secondtyme, I also have the impulse of turning everything off before turning off any car and picking up and taking out all the crap or random s*** left behind by my kids or sometimes wife. Although even with the HVAC off I think remote start is a neat addition this way when you get in the car the heater will work instantly rather then have to wait...although the A/C would still be a waiting game.

All this assumes your car is parked outside. I'd like a nice warm car in the winter but ours are parked in a non heated garage. They're still awfully cold but there's no snow or ice to scrape away.

Back