What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Installed a K&N Cold Air Intake. Wanted to hear the noise so I redlined it, which promptly sparked a check engine light. Cleared that out and am trying to see if the computer will "adapt" to the new intake. And no, K&N do not make the CAI for our 9's. I installed the intake for the Ford Edge Sport. For those wondering it is not an exact fit. I needed to modify our existing intake scoop and the connection to the actual throttle intake to get it to fit.

Thank god i have other vehicles so ill never have to put a bike in the CX9. That would bother me so much having something so dirty in it. Which is ironic considering my Sportage which is white, is currently more black/brown from the nastiness on it. Course thats why i use it for all my dirty stuff like bike transport. lol

I installed the intake for the Ford Edge Sport. For those wondering it is not an exact fit. I needed to modify our existing intake scoop and the connection to the actual throttle intake to get it to fit.

Interesting, I never thought of that. Makes sense, in so far as the engines are the same, which at the very least gets you the same throttle body. I'd be interested in pictures of your install. Also, is this the part you put in? (Amazon link: http://amzn.com/B009WFRWCI) This obviously restrictive intake track has been of interest to me. I planned on a least removing the "muffler" and capping it to see what it sounded like.

... Course thats why i use it for all my dirty stuff like bike transport. lol

Haha, only did it this past weekend. The hatch bag and a towel wrapped around the fork did a nice job, no dirt/mud got into the inteiror. However, that's why I got a rack :) Should be comin' today.

Voldsom, That is the one I purchased. I know there are a lot of critics out there regarding the effectiveness of a cold air intake but I'm a believer. There is dyno support for the gains in HP and Torque on the Edge. I'll post up some pics sometime today. There were only a couple of things that didn't fit on the CX-9, so other than that it was a pretty easy setup.

The hatch bag and a towel wrapped around the fork did a nice job, no dirt/mud got into the inteiror. However, that's why I got a rack :) Should be comin' today.

I forgot about your hatch bag. That thing is awesome, and would be really useful. I kind of wished i had use of my rear, my oldest son has staked claim to the 3rd row, So we get just the small rear section.

I'll post up some pics sometime today.

Really looking forward to some pictures. It didnt throw a Check Engine Light or anything when installed?

I forgot about your hatch bag. That thing is awesome, and would be really useful. I kind of wished i had use of my rear, my oldest son has staked claim to the 3rd row, So we get just the small rear section.

Really looking forward to some pictures. It didnt throw a Check Engine Light or anything when installed?

Mono,

It did not throw the check engine light right away. My 4 year old son was in the car and told me to floor it, because he wanted to hear it, so I did. Got to redline and a day later the light came on. I reset the light over this past weekend, have driven about 80-100 miles and so far so good. I'm going to enjoy the CAI sound for a little bit before I test redline again. May boil down to putting the old one back in.

All I can think is that the Mazda's ECU is setup with tighter tolerances than Ford's. It seems like the amount of air being sucked in was just too much. Honestly, we have a pretty solid cold air intake as it is, I mean it is a cold air intake, it's more so that the path from the airbox to the throttle body is god awful. That damper box on top is the worst idea I've seen. Just an air trap.

This is what I get for talking about the check engine light. Sure enough on my way home, not driving fast or anything, check engine light is back on. I'm attaching photos of the install in the event anyone wants them, but will be going back to stock shortly.

098.JPG
097.JPG
099.JPG

The first one shows the aftermarket intake hose I had to install to get the K&N rubber fitting to hit the correct angle to the throttle body.

Second one is just an overall shot. Notice I had to use the same Fresh air Intake scoop as OEM. I needed to cut it to fit.

Everything else fit well, it looks good, it sounds good, but it will trigger the check engine light. Given I only have 8k on the odometer I'll be putting OEM back together.

I'll post a separate thread on this so anyone searching can find it easy enough. Live and learn.

Last edited:
I never really bought into the whole CAI thing especially w/o tuning for it. You're trying to force more air into your engine but if your exhaust isn't larger, then it really doesn't do you any good.

Do you know what code you are pulling? If it's a lean condition then it's best to take it off ASAP.

This is what I get for talking about the check engine light. Sure enough on my way home, not driving fast or anything, check engine light is back on. I'm attaching photos of the install in the event anyone wants them, but will be going back to stock shortly.

View attachment 209932
View attachment 209933
View attachment 209934

The first one shows the aftermarket intake hose I had to install to get the K&N rubber fitting to hit the correct angle to the throttle body.

Second one is just an overall shot. Notice I had to use the same Fresh air Intake scoop as OEM. I needed to cut it to fit.

Everything else fit well, it looks good, it sounds good, but it will trigger the check engine light. Given I only have 8k on the odometer I'll be putting OEM back together.

I'll post a separate thread on this so anyone searching can find it easy enough. Live and learn.

EDIT: Moved my post over to your separate thread so we can continue the conversation there :)

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...d-Air-Intake&p=6356190&viewfull=1#post6356190

Last edited:
All 3 of my other Mazda's through CEL's when i installed intakes on them. I was actually the very 1st Mazda6 guy to try the MS3 AEM Air straightener, and it actually fixed it on that car. So a CEL is something i pretty much expect with Mazda's anymore. Thats why i asked.

Nevans, Are you going to re-install it in the future after the car has a few more miles, or are you done with that project altogether?

All 3 of my other Mazda's through CEL's when i installed intakes on them. I was actually the very 1st Mazda6 guy to try the MS3 AEM Air straightener, and it actually fixed it on that car. So a CEL is something i pretty much expect with Mazda's anymore. Thats why i asked.

Nevans, Are you going to re-install it in the future after the car has a few more miles, or are you done with that project altogether?

Mono,

I'm going to hang onto the intake. My plan is to try it in the summer months when the air isn't a dense up here. To be honest I can't return it so I might as well hang onto it. I was able to get a 100k bumper to bumper warranty into the price of the new CX-9 when I bought it so I don't want to do anything to void that out.

Id recommend getting a better Throttle body coupler, and see if that might help. Measure the opening on the Throttle body, then measure the opening of the piping side. And get a 45 degree angle with those two measurements. That should fix the double coupler issue, which can cause leaks just by design sometimes.

Id recommend getting a better Throttle body coupler, and see if that might help. Measure the opening on the Throttle body, then measure the opening of the piping side. And get a 45 degree angle with those two measurements. That should fix the double coupler issue, which can cause leaks just by design sometimes.

Good call, I'll give that a shot

Gave the 9 a bath and a headlight polish with Meguairs M205 on my DA.

CX-9.JPG

Ipad_010.JPG

The last shot is a reflection from the drivers door of my F150. It has a Mazda transmission too. :p
8-12-14_001.JPG

^^Awesome!! BCM is such a nice color. Wish they still offered it... Would look great on the Kodo refresh.

I actually thought it was black in the first two shots. That is a great color. Really wish I went with 20's on mine, they fill out the wheel wells so nicely.

Took it out in the 2015 Chicago Blizzard and it handled surprisingly well. Had to concur the 2.5' mound of ice/snow at the end of my driveway first. Almost ripped the bumper off but all she needed was a little power.

Last edited:
Took it out in the 2015 Chicago Blizzard and it handled surprisingly well. Had to concur the 2.5' mound of ice/snow at the end of my driveway first. Almost ripped the bumper off but all she needed was a little power.

fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

Drove through kind of a freak snow storm we got on Saturday night (not predicted). Dropped about 6 inches of the wet and sloppy on the ground, late at night coming home from a friends house. No plows out yet, but this thing handled great. No issues with sliding or control. AWD and TC worked well. Blasted through the lane change mountains that formed up. Has the stock Dueler H/L 400's on it too... Hasn't been a bad tire in snow and ice yet.

Also of note, the back end actually kicks out pretty predictably once it decides to stop under-steering... can actually get a pretty decent powerslide going, lol. Of course, only as a reactive measure to a skid to prevent and issue..... haha

Last edited:
Drove through kind of a freak snow storm we got on Saturday night (not predicted). Dropped about 6 inches of the wet and sloppy on the ground, late at night coming home from a friends house. No plows out yet, but this thing handled great. No issues with sliding or control. AWD and TC worked well. Blasted through the lane change mountains that formed up. Has the stock Dueler H/L 400's on it too... Hasn't been a bad tire in snow and ice yet.

Also of note, the back end actually kicks out pretty predictably once it decides to stop understanding... can actually get a pretty decent powerslide going, lol. Of course, only as a reactive measure to a skid to prevent and issue..... haha

Test driving our 2013 with 28k on stock Duelers, I almost did a 360 on the main drag in Ft Collins on a patch of ice....I concluded we needed new tires as the 2015 we test drove handled great on the ice and snow. The back end does kick out easily as I was fooling around with it in this last snow storm. I'm hoping we can wait for better tires until next winter. I haven't even look through the manual yet but is there a light on the dash that says when the AWD kicks on? Or does it only light up when theres a problem? I could only get the TC light to go on.

Back