What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Yeah, it really didn't squat much. It's just under 3k with trailer and fuel and right around 225lbs of tongue weight. It's a little under the recommended range of 9-15% but the rig is the smoothest towing setup I've ever owned so I've never bothered to shift the boat forward. The engineer in me thinks it has something to do with how the boat sits so low and between the trailer wheels instead of riding on top of the trailer like a lot of rigs I've towed. Back when I had my Expedition I'd regularly tow at 75mph and wouldn't know it was there it was so stable. Since I switched to light duty crossovers (Murano then this CX-9) I've dialed it back to 65 though. Still wishing the CX-9 had an overdrive (6th gear) lockout without having to resort to full manual mode.

Last edited:
Actually went 10,000 plus, miles on an oil change (per the oil manufacturers recommendations). Never added a drop in that entire year. Just changed it, and it looked pretty good for that mileage. I had also used a high capacity extended life filter.

Last edited:
Stuffed 25 bags of mulch in it today.

275A514B-16C9-498B-BC76-A9BCC92E1743_zpsrybptp4o.jpg

I took out the front and middle row seats to vacuum to give it a deep clean, wanted to do that since we bought it a year ago.

Last fall I was out in California and picked up a DDM Tuning HID H11 kit for my wife's Odyssey. Today I stole them from her and swapped them out with my H11 Silverstar foglights (eekdance) (shady)

Actually went 10,000 plus, miles on an oil change (per the oil manufacturers recommendations). Never added a drop in that entire year. Just changed it, and it looked pretty good for that mileage. I had also used a high capacity extended life filter.

Personally 10K OCI is not something I would do. The manual calls for 7.5k under normal conditions, and 5k under extreme. I have a 2014 with CPO warranty for 100K. Maybe I'm paranoid but I've been very religious about my oil changes. I bought it used in January with about 650 miles on it. It sees a lot of miles and I have done an oil change at 2,750, 5,500 and 8,806. All with Mazda filter and Castrol Edge 5w-20. I save my receipts for oil purchases and save the mazda filter box, stapling it to the oil receipt. If anything, nothing on the engine goes wrong and we enjoy 200K plus miles from this car. If we decide to sell at some point I can produce evidence showing regular maintenance has been done.

Broken A/C Condenser

I was on my way home yesterday and I was stuck behind a dump truck(bang), while driving on the interstate, and I didn't think much of it because I didn't have any apparent problems until the next day when I went to use my A/C. I turned it on and it was blowing nothing but hot air and wouldn't cool off. I went to checked out all the fuses and they all turned out to be good. So then, I checked under the hood and saw that the a/c belt was fine. So I then looked under the car and find the radiator and condenser to be drenched in freon(pissed). I then think back to the dump truck being in front of me, and figured that a rock must have took out my condenser. So, today I am at firestone complete auto care getting my condenser replaced for $589.87 all because of a dump truck and me being in the wrong place at the wrong time.(rant)

Firestone? Oh man what a rip off. That is honestly the last place I would ever go and that includes PepBoys.

Just changed the spark plugs this week so it required the intake to come off but it was not that bad of a job. It took me 2 hours but I took my time. I also changed the intake gaskets while it was off and my Mazda dealer had them in stock. The ones I took out were the originals and were past worn out I was getting a slight bucking while leaving a stop light. This has cured the problem and she runs like a champ again.

Got this rig 6 months ago and just the other day decided to pull the cabin air filter and replace it. This thing only had one owner before us and I thought it lived a pretty easy and good life according to all the historical records I found on it.. But man. I don't think the people before us even knew it had a filter in it. This must have been the one that rolled off production floor in it. hah. Yikes. (pukey)

21736921129_c9ccefe8f7_z.jpg

on boy - I think if I look at my cabin filter, it will look like above. I am checking tomorrow!

Got to really test out the new tires (Cooper Discover SRX) in on of I81 near Syracuse NY's famous lake effect storms.

3BA61793-5024-4FBE-BF0B-92ED03533FF4_zpsqtomxzgg.jpg

Very impressed how well the tires managed the storm for a comfortable and quiet all season.

NICE eskimo ! how did the AWD system handle in the snow ?

Worked great. At one point we went up an exit ramp and there was a tractor trailer stuck. We pulled off onto the shoulder to get around him into about a foot of snow and the CX-9 went up the hill no problem.

At the start of the trip the end of my grandmother's driveway hadn't been cleared yet and it's got a really steep approach. The wife goes "you better hit that with some speed so we don't get stuck" and I just laughed. I stopped on the hill on purpose and showed her what her little SUV was capable of by just driving right up with the snowbank crunching under the floor.

Last edited:
I have brand new Blizzacks on my AWD cx9. It really makes the CX9 a beast in the snow. We had a major ice storm 2 weeks ago that declared a state of emergency in town. CX9 was driving through the unplowed roads without worry.

The real area where they make a difference is in braking for me. CX9 weighs a ton, and compared to all my other vehicles i always have to start braking really early, or the CX9 will like to slide. With the Blizzacks on, no such issue. On all seasons, the CX9's breaking is actually worse then my full size Escalade which outweighs the CX9 by a couple of hundred pounds.

Im buying 2 more for the other Mazda's soon hopefully.

Here's my current one when i had it in my Mazda6.

066.jpg

hands down best child seat available on the market. Best side impact protection. Kid's head is not bouncing about when sleeping and once secured properly, this seat won't budge an inch

Back