What have you done to your CX-9 today?

voldsom

:
2014 Mazda CX-9 AWD GT w/ Tech Package
~What have you done to/with your CX-9 today?~

Since every other sub-forum seems to have this thread, I think we should too! As the title says, what have you done to your CX-9 today? Although I'm sure most owners don't modify them too much, these threads typically end up being routine maintenance/future mod ideas/general b.s. areas :) A place to gather and chat (as the lounge parent thread would suggest!)

If there is already one of these, please point me to it :) If there isn't, can we get a sticky?

Last edited:
Let's begin! (although it was this past weekend):

Did my first oil change (@600 miles): Castrol Edge 5W-20 full syn and a Motorcraft FL400S filter (figured I'd keep it FoMoco). Comparison with the dealer/factory filter. Interestingly, the factory filter had practically NO markings on it:

2014-11-22091444_zps84501d4f.jpg

Gave a test fit of the Enkei RFS5 17x7.5 ET 50 wheels I have from my old 6. Going to eventually mount snow's to them I think. Also, great view of how rediculous our cars would look with 215/50R17's (lol2):

2014-11-22105839_zps2209091d.jpg

2014-11-22105817_zps04b708d0.jpg

Clearance: (not much!)
2014-11-22105917_zps8572448b.jpg

Additionally:
gave her a wash to get off all the grime in the pictures, updated the navigation with the complimentary TomTom update, and installed locking lug nuts on all 4 wheels.

(drinks)

Nice work, ours needs a bath and oil change too! I like your choice in oil too, we use Castrol Edge in the CX9 and 9-7x Aero. I use 5w30 in the Mazda though, even though it calls for 5w20.

I'm a big fan of WIX Filters, I use 51516 on our CX9.

Yeah, it's going to be brutal having a new car over the winter. I'll want to wash it every week!! That and I have to keep it looking nice for the family who hasn't seen it yet, lol.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy the oil change was. The dealer didn't have an 800lb gorilla install the filter and I was able to remove it by hand. I didn't even ramp it! Just did it on the ground :) A little tight, but I don't have ramps yet :) As for the oil, I like Castrol products for car engines. But really, it just came down to what was spec'd. Figured if anything goes wrong, I have proof I put "recommended Castrol" at the spec'd weight with a Ford filter. No one could find fault in that! LOL.

Also, glad someone posted up in here! Maybe it will get some traction ;-)

Fitted my HatchBag from my old 6 wagon into the 9. Not a perfect fit, but acceptable. Acceptable enough to avoid the $170 for a new one at least! :)

IMG_2417_zps0e005bf6.jpg

IMG_2418_zps13072de9.jpg

Also full LED 5k interior now, with LED puddle light mod for courtesy door lights
Blurry:
2014-11-25175118_zpsd3e77654.jpg

"Puddle" light with 5k 6-SMD strip light and high output 194:
2014-11-10171302_zps9198175d.jpg

Gotta wash tomorrow to prep for all the family to see the new ride!

Nice!

Also, not sure if you get the DiscountTireDirect emails, but today they started $50 off a set of 4 tires, and double that if you have the Car Care One Card (which I have for promotional items like this), plus you get manufactorer rebates too.

I checked some prices (I know you're 17"), but for some Hankook 235/60/18 RW11 Ipike winter Tires, normal price is $556. With the $50 Instant savings and then the $100 Car Car One Rebate and $40 Hankook Rebate, the total is $366. Hard to beat that. I think I am going to pick up a set for next season.

Daaaaamn, that's a pretty great discount! I don't get their emails, but that's definitely a compelling offer I'll need to check out. I've always had Blizzaks, but I'm sure the iPike is good to, no? Research time! :)

I have the IPikes on my 9-7x that I run in the winter. This is season 2, and they perform right on par with the Blizzaks.

Just chatted with DTD. I got the rebate part wrong.

$50 Web Instant Savings, and then $50 Additional if you have the Car Care One Card. Then Manufact Rebate $40.

So, $416 would be the price, which is still a great deal for 4 18" Winter Tires. The Blizzaks on the CX9 now were $644 from TireRack, which was over $700 after Shipping.

Just chatted with DTD. I got the rebate part wrong.

$50 Web Instant Savings, and then $50 Additional if you have the Car Care One Card. Then Manufact Rebate $40.

So, $416 would be the price, which is still a great deal for 4 18" Winter Tires. The Blizzaks on the CX9 now were $644 from TireRack, which was over $700 after Shipping.

Is it just www.discounttiredirect.com? If so, looks like they don't have ANYTHING in the 245/65R17 size... Maybe I'll check 235/70R17, but that one is usually MORE rare.

They are running the blizzaks for $140 each locally. With the $50 instant off online, I would be looking at $620 OTD mounted. Then If I got the car care card I could knock another $50 off. I'm not seeing this $40 Bridgestone rebate though, just the "winter utility kit" mail-in...

$40 rebate was for Hankook only, sorry. Bridgestone has the winter kit, correct. :).

DiscountTire stores are also having the sale, but you have to purchase online and then setup install. My brother works at a shop, so I usually order through DiscountTireDirect since I don't have to pay for install usually.

Didn't do anything, but bought things for it.

VLED turn signals front and back, VLED fogs, and VLED reverse bulbs. So excited to have a fully LED/HID front! :D And the back up is gonna be super bright!

FWIW: VLEDs is having a Cyber Monday sale; 15%-25% off depending on how much you spend.

Last edited:
Fresh oil change today with Castrol Edge 5w30 Synthetic and Wix Oil Filter.

@Rawyzf.... mmmm fresh blood for the beast!

@jzone2020: the stem cap won't affect the TPMS, nor will it corrode. Those are actually more substantial than a typical plastic cap, and will protect equally or better against water and crud getting into the stem.

So went and installed about half of my early Christmas present LED lights this weekend. 1000lm back up LED lights are in as a direct swap. SOOOO bright now. Photos don't really due it justice, but qualitatively when I look through the back up camera I can see about 4x better, no joke.

Got in the H11 fog lights direct fit replacement, just had to mount a little control box. 3000 lm, and insanely bright in the day time when I did it. Don't know how I feel about the little back-reflector that covers the bulb, I feel like it's blocking some light but don't know if I want to disassemble the whole thing to take it out. You can actually see a little screw holding it on though, so it can't be too hard.

The turn signals are a different story... Only did the driver-side rear so far. They will fit just fine, but some light modification is required to the housing. The heatsink on the V3 Tritons and a plastic lip on the housing interfere, causing the bulb's screws to not engage. This plastic is essentially there to provide correct orientation and rotation of the stock bulb socket. So to get the Triton's to fit I had to shave down the plastic. I checked that the stock bulb sockets still work (just in case) and they do, but would be able to spin more than the 60 or so degrees if I used them, no big. I'll probably end up doing a full write up on these suckers since the look is definitely nice once they're in there. Much sharper light cut off, no orange color in the housing, and brighter than the stock bulbs with the correct flashing rate.

Pictures to come in other threads!
(drinks)

Voldsom,

I know exactly what you are referring to about that shroud inside the foglight, my long hid bulb hit it when I tried to install a HID bulb.
I had to take a screwdriver and bend it down a little bit to get the HID bulb in. Still the shroud was blocking some light.
I tried opening up the foglight to unscrew the shroud but the dang foglight seal would not budge at all, then I went this route

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

it is the SAME EXACT foglight as CX-9 WITHOUT the shroud, plug and play with existing CX-9 (fog bracket),
you won't need the Mazda2 bracket, just take out the foglight and install into CX-9 bracket.

here's a picture of the Mazda2 fogs without the shroud inside the CX-9 bracket shown in the left,
on the right is the OEM CX-9 with the shroud that gets in the way of long HID bulbs :

just an option for you if you can't get the CX-9 foglight opened to remove the shroud
honestly though, without the shroud, I didn't see any improvement in light output, just an insane amount of glare
(I still have the Mazda2 foglight that fits your CX-9, PM me if you're interested, used maybe less than a week)

just a caveat though, the purpose of the shroud is to reduce glare to oncoming traffic,
without it , there was way too much glare, so I went with the Hella 90mm projectors.

Last edited:
thanks for the tip @avidien!! That's a good point that it's there for glare. And the LED bulb is supposed to mimic the light output pattern of halogen (VLEDs designed it that way) so it may not be an issue. One difference is the bulb is really just an aluminum stick with an led on either side, so glare shouldn't be an issue because no light is actually shot forward, it's all shot into the reflector (I'll post pictures later on :)).

I'll definitely let you know if I'm interested in the Mazda 2 light, as that solves the issue of having the shroud.

BTW, I see what you mean about easy access to the fogs now... So much room behind that bumper! Now I know why you had room for that train horn ;)

Back