New fuel pump not pumping

brandontt26

Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5
My car has been sputtering and running really lean so I replaced the fuel pump, I can hear it turn on when I try to start the car but the car won't start like its not actually pumping fuel. I switched back to the old one that worked and now the same outcome.. I tried the wiring both ways it can go.. The only thing that also has me confused is there is a little black wire seeming to be a ground wire coming off of the fuel pump harness, is Isn't connected to anything so I grounded it to the car and I tried still nothing so I'm confused ... I literally put my walbro in 3 months ago and had no issue

The car could be getting fuel, it may to be a different problem. It will crank but not turn over? Timing could be off, the crank, cam or maf sensors may have failed, there may be a massive vacuum leak, coilpacks/wires and plugs could be bad, even the 02 sensor could cause this. Any CELs before you replaced the fuel pump?

Installed new plugs yesterday gapped them right and drove after i installed them, I drove the car literally right before I took the pump out it was ok just studdering so I thought the pump or fpr was going so I started with pump since I had an extra one. The car literally started fine before I did this so I know it is something with them pump, I am thinking its somethibg with this little black ground wire coming out of the housing I don't know where it goes.. But the pump turns on when I try to start the car

Spray some starting spray in the TB if you want but I bet the injectors are firing just fine. This sounds more like a vac leak or MAF/O2 sensor/ignition system failure.

The thing is though the car started fine literally 5 mins before I took the pump out... Tried the other pump I had and nothing so I put the old one back in and still nothing

Did you let it sit on for a few seconds to get the fuel up to the injectors? If you hear the pump pumping and fuel escapes when you remove the lines at the quick disconnects under the hood it should be working fine.

It was because of the black ground wire I found where it goes it works now thanks though

Back