[Q] FS-DE to FS-ZE Swap

SicMSP03.5

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So I bought a FS-ZE engine and I stripped the intake and exhaust manifold because I'm going to use my FS-DE ones. I know it has higher compression Pistons and and different intake and exhaust cams but am I able to use my MSP ecu or am I going to have to do some rocket engineer type stuff to get this thing running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FS-ZE is naturally aspirated. If you put a turbo on there, any region that sees forced induction will not be recognized... So you definitely have to use the MSP ecu, but I do not know if it will recognize the timing pattern. You may have to take the 36-1 timing gear from the FS-DE.

The next problem is that you are running boost in a higher compression engine that wasn't meant to handle boost. Assuming that you will be running at stock 6PSI, its a matter of time before your connecting rod folds and shoots through the side of the engine.

Yeah I'm definitely going NA, I was just worried about timing and ecu issues but I should be good. I'll use buy a mp3 ecu and "stock" exhaust components

I'm sure it has a different harness the one I got has cut wires and stuff from shipper

Just put the turbo on it and run the MSP ecu it will be fine and you won't blow it up if you keep it under 10-11psi. Nothing I would hate more than to see a naturally aspirated MSP.

Back