2008 Key FOB

beefski

:
2013 CX-9 GT AWD Pearl White / Sand
One on my FOB's for my 08 CX-9 AWD went bad. Replaced battery and still nothing. It will lock & unlock the doord/rear hatch but you can not start the car. Dealer was unable to re-program and the replacement cost is $450! Crazy. Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket FOB or a on-line replacement? It is a PIA to only have one fob that fully works.

Thanks.

Better get the 2nd one quickly.
If you should lose the 2nd one, it will cost you $1000 to replace the ECU.

That was my question. Ive seen them on some online sites that sell used ones for $250. I have not yet looked on EBay but am skeptical about purchasing. Maybe I should see if the remotes are covered under my extended plan.

Dealers are getting more and more reluctant to program a FOB not purchased at their shop.
Check before you buy.

It seems that most vehicles require 2 keys / 2 remotes in order to program a 3rd without going to the dealer. That has been my experience with Jeep and and just recently with a a new 14 CX-9 GT. So I'm guessing that is the case with your 2008. Since the remote still operates the door locks, why not have the dealer program a ordinary transponder key? Then put that one on the keychain with the problematic remote. I'm sure an ordinary transponder key will be much less than a new remote.

If you are able to have the dealer make an ordinary transponder key, then I would get a 3rd one from them or online or eBay and program it yourself so that you have a minimum of 3 transponder keys that will start the car. Four keys is even better... just don't store them on the same key chain.

The reason you cannot program a 2nd key fob is obvious, though.
People in valet service have access to your key fob. What if they program one with bad intentions?
In fact, you need to prove your ownership of the vehicle, when you have dealers program a 2nd key.
If they forget to check, they do not follow SOP.

Well, I just made a call to Mazda MEPP. I was informed that the FOB would be covered under my 'totalcare' plan. Yee Haw, best $$ Ive spent. This MEPP plan has more than paid for itself already. Calling my dealership's service manager to see if he will get the ball rolling.

Well, I just made a call to Mazda MEPP. I was informed that the FOB would be covered under my 'totalcare' plan. Yee Haw, best $$ Ive spent. This MEPP plan has more than paid for itself already. Calling my dealership's service manager to see if he will get the ball rolling.

Glad to see the dealer take the vasoline for once, but you did make a payment already in advance, so you are getting what you paid for w out interest.

Mazda knows they have a captured audience in the slime-line POS FOB's. THey are worthless and are destined to fail, break or need reprogramming or all of the above..who said racketeering was dead ?

Back