Thinking about replacing the timing chain on my 2009 CX-7

mclumber1

:
2009 CX7
Hi all,

I own a 2009 CX-7 AWD with about 77,000 miles. I'm considering changing out the timing chain, as I've heard they're common source of headaches on these engines. The engine is starting to make unusual noises. It almost sounds like a diesel at lower RPMs. If I replace the chain, is there anything else I should consider doing at the same time? And besides the new chain, what gaskets should I get? The other day I went to the local O'Reillys autoparts to get a quote on a new chain, and they couldn't even find one in their system. What other Mazdas used the same engine/chain? Does anyone have a good source for the actual CX-7 workshop manual?

Thanks.

Sounds like I may also be changing one in the near future. A friend just purchased a 2007 with 115k. She brought it me to check out and sounds like a diesel. Really wish she would have let me check it out first. From a quick search looks like you should also change the VVT actuator. Will require some special tooling for aligning the timing chain. Hopefully available from Oreillys. Haven't located a good DIY write up yet but I've only just started to look into this. If I find anything else I'll pass it on.

Back