Clips that cover holes where roof rack goes on the side rails

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,

I just noticed two of the small plastic clips that cover the sites where the feet go on the side rails are missing? I'm assuming that any rain that gets in there isn't going to do any damage over time - it just runs out under the black rail correct? Just to clear up any confusion - I only have the black strips that run the length of the car - they aren't really rails, but they have an area that usually gets covered by a clip where any feet for crossbars attach..clear as mud?

Last edited:
They are retainers with 3m tape on the bottom, just peel and place over the hole and snap in the strips. What i did when i removed my roof rack with the strips i cut duct tape and laid it over the hole till i got the retainers.

They are retainers with 3m tape on the bottom, just peel and place over the hole and snap in the strips. What i did when i removed my roof rack with the strips i cut duct tape and laid it over the hole till i got the retainers.

Thanks for the info.

So what if I don't get the retainers? Is having it exposed like that going to cause any issue? Am I correct when I think the rain will just go through and under under the black strips and off the car or is it going in spots where it shouldn't?

If you're talking about the covers for the holes in the roof strips (my 5 has Canadian-style rackless strips), they're available from your dealer for around US$8 each. They drop in and slide to lock. If you have a question, see your Mazda parts guy, he has a parts graphic of rack and rackless 5s depicting what you need.

Last edited:
I got mine at the wrecker for about 10 cents each,.. glue them in so U don't need more,...

I don't think it would be a problem, I mean, it's the roof, I'm sure Mazda figured it would get wet, and I have those covers on there, they really aren't sealed to begin with, but like someone else said, you can get the Canadian strips for the roof, my Mazda mechanic has offered them to me several times.

I don't think it would be a problem, I mean, it's the roof, I'm sure Mazda figured it would get wet, and I have those covers on there, they really aren't sealed to begin with, but like someone else said, you can get the Canadian strips for the roof, my Mazda mechanic has offered them to me several times.

lol..yeah. I wasn't sure if it was drilled into the roof or anything, but it looks like it is ON the roof so no big deal.

Back