Multiple Issues - could be coincidence, or connected. You decide!

sarsbars

:
'03 Protege5
Problem number 1: So I've been having some problems with water getting into my car on the passenger side. In the past I've noticed my floor mat being damp as well as the floor underneath the passenger seat. It's been raining pretty heavily for two days now, and this morning there was a layer of water on the passenger side (front to back). My car made it to work just fine (with the exception of the CD player not working until I pulled into the parking lot at work. Argh!). When I got out of work this afternoon the puddle had increased in size.

I have a sunroof, which I originally thought was the culprit. I tested the drain and it's not the problem. I also poured water down the vents by the wipers, but that drained normally as well. I did not check the back of the wheel well because that would require taking off the plastic, and it's too wet outside for that right now.

Problem number 2: On occasion my car (automatic) will stall at stoplights, but will start up fine and it won't happen again for months. I say on occasion, but in the past two years it's maybe done it three times. Today it stalled while I was slowing down to a stop (heading down a hill). The check engine light came one (but I believe all lights come on when the engine powers off but the car is still on). I started it up and it ran fine for the rest of the ride home (no check engine light). While I was turning down the road I live off of, my engine stalled again. All lights came on, but once started the CEL did not stay on. This time it was creepy because of course my power steering no longer worked and my car did not turn! Thankfully no one was waiting at the stop sign or we would have had some real problems. This time it was strange to me because in the past these sporadic stalls were while idling at lights.

Problem number 3: My husband was kind enough to use his code reader and we got a P0031 and P0037. The CEL is not on.

Could the water in the car, intermittent stalling, and the codes be connected, or is it just s*** luck?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Check the drain in the door panel, they get clogged and leak inside.

Clean the egr valve, it will cause stalling/rough idle

Not sure on ecu codes too lazy to google them right now

Ecu getting wet doesn't mean anything as they have a protective gel coating on them to prevent damage in cases such as that

Are you reffering to the gel coat on the board itself? That gel coat will only do so much.. I've seen boards fail due to moisture in hvac field numerous times.. not saying that's the issue but could be related.

Last edited:
For problem 2, check and clean/replace your EGR valve. Check/clean the IAC valve. Check your vacuum hoses to see if they are cracked.
If you haven't done so in awhile, replace your spark plugs, wires and coils.

Thanks for your replies.

I've had problems with the EGR in the past, and this doesn't seem like that's what it is. The CEL isn't staying on and this is so sporatic. A couple of years ago we replaced the EGR with the Canadian one, and *knock on wood* I haven't had any issues with it since.
Spark plugs were replaced two months ago.

I drove it to and from work today and it ran fine. We had drained most of the water out yesterday. I'm wondering if the water sloshing around yesterday (stopping down hill and making a right turn) caused more water to get into/on the ECU?

We're taking apart the front of the footwell tomorrow to see where the water is coming in.

Back