Fairly noticeable whine at low speeds

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,

Just got my '02 P5 with about 200,000km on it. There is a fairly distinct whine that happens when i press on the gas and correlates with the rpms. It does it in neutral as well when the car is in motion.
Is that the alternator? I can hear it in the cockpit and obviously with the windows down.

The timing belt was replaced at 150,000km at mazda.

It doesn't sound like screech or anything from a drive belt.

I have also heard that is normal for these cars.

Is that a warning sign of something? Thoughts? I'm not too much of a car guy.

Thanks!
DAve

My alternator whines a bit when the headlights and/or foglights are on. Can't tell unless the windows are down tho and inside the garage. Can't hear it when driving.

Yeah, mine is much more pronounced..I can hear it driving at slow speeds even with the windows up in a wide open space lol

I think I just need convincing it is nothing to do with the engine/timing belt?

Is there a way I can test it to see if it is the alternator?

A common complaint is the timing belt rubbing on the plastic front engine cover. I used to have a whine (debatable how you might describe it) that has gone away. I attributed it to the belt rubbing on the cover.

A common complaint is the timing belt rubbing on the plastic front engine cover. I used to have a whine (debatable how you might describe it) that has gone away. I attributed it to the belt rubbing on the cover.

hmmm...so is that a cause for concern? He did the belt about 55,000km ago.

is there a way I can cofirm it is either the alternator or timing belt?

Sneak a handle of something in between the belts while car is idling and push a little on the plastic timing cover and see if noise gets louder? If it does then timing belt cover, if not then you can rule that out.

So this timing cover is on the left of the engine (standing in front of the car)? Is it obvious? Like I said, I'm not really a car guy so I need all the help I can get lol

Yes, on passenger side. It is the black plastic between the valve cover and the 2 hoses in the pic............

323f_Ngin.JPG

ok...mine is so dirty I thought it was part of the actual engine block. Just to be clear we are talking about the thing right in front of the dipstick right?

Ok so where do I press on it?

Yes, it's that, and it runs all the way down on the front of the engine. Try pressing all over.

I only assumed that was my issue, never confirmed it. And I don't know whether or not you would call the sound mine was making a "whine". It's just something to consider.

Last edited:
Mine is more of a whistle. I'll try and get a clip later this weekend...
Anyway.... Does a whining alternator mean it's on its last legs? Or if it is a timing belt making contact, is that a major issue that needs to get fixed asap?
Thanks

so it was just confirmed that it is the alternator making the whine. They tightened up the belt but the noise is exactly the same.

I was quoted $330 for an NAPA aftermarket alternator , belt, labor all in by a local mechanic. Mazda wants $130 more for the same thing. Is there any benefit of getting it replaced at Mazda? Would they know something a local mechanic wouldn't?

Now that I know it is the alternator making the whine, is it just a matter of time before the thing fails?

Thanks
dave

the whine could be a bearing failing in the alternator i would replace it now just in case you dont wanna buy a new alternator and battery or get stuck on the road

I wouldn't drive around with a suspect alternator.

There's no benefit to having a dealership mechanic replace the alternator vs an independent mechanic. There could be an argument for buying an OEM alternator vs aftermarket. However, I bought an aftermarket alternator 90,000 miles ago and have had not issues.

You have the option of doing it yourself. It's a pain in the butt given how it's mounted, but doable.

I wouldn't drive around with a suspect alternator.

There's no benefit to having a dealership mechanic replace the alternator vs an independent mechanic. There could be an argument for buying an OEM alternator vs aftermarket. However, I bought an aftermarket alternator 90,000 miles ago and have had not issues.

You have the option of doing it yourself. It's a pain in the butt given how it's mounted, but doable.

lol, I wish I had the option of doing it myself. I'm not too car savvy. The most I have done is replace spark plugs and help with a brake job.

I'm definitely going aftermarket and the mechanic is getting it through NAPA (part # 2139176). It comes with a 3 yr warranty (no way the car lasts that long haha).
All in with a new belt, alternator, labor and tax (15% where I live - NS , Canada) for $338 isn't bad IMO.

Thanks of advice everyone. Guess I have to bite the bullet.

I would think the whistling/whirring sound under load from the alternator would be the stator inside it from the power requirements going up when I turn on fogs/hi beams. That is the only time I hear mine make any kind of noise. It is aftermarket with lifetime warranty so until it dies it will not get replaced. Mine was $170 and I swapped it myself. Bearing fail is a completely different sound. Belt needing tightening is also different sound. If it was making noise all the time or not pumping out 14.7 volts to gauge like it should then it might have higher priority for me to do something.

I would think the whistling/whirring sound under load from the alternator would be the stator inside it from the power requirements going up when I turn on fogs/hi beams. That is the only time I hear mine make any kind of noise. It is aftermarket with lifetime warranty so until it dies it will not get replaced. Mine was $170 and I swapped it myself. Bearing fail is a completely different sound. Belt needing tightening is also different sound. If it was making noise all the time or not pumping out 14.7 volts to gauge like it should then it might have higher priority for me to do something.

Well, belt tightening can be ruled out. I'm getting the output checked in a couple of days to see what it says.

So my question is can bearing failure be dealt with WITHOUT replacing the alternator? At this point, I just know it WASN'T the belt.

Belt noise is screech not whistle or whirring. Bearing is gravelly, roar, could be screeching but different screech than belt. Just get ya one of those digital volt gauges that plug into cigarette lighter hole for output checking. I have been using one until I actually get off my ass and under car to run my oil pressure gauge and volt gauge wiring. They might be 5-10 bucks at auto parts. If it is bearing issue or charging issue then no, it has to come out to be rebuilt or replaced. Mine has been making the noise I hear under load since it was new and there have been no other issues and no erratic charging levels so it'll stay put until it does anything weird.

Belt noise is screech not whistle or whirring. Bearing is gravelly, roar, could be screeching but different screech than belt. Just get ya one of those digital volt gauges that plug into cigarette lighter hole for output checking. I have been using one until I actually get off my ass and under car to run my oil pressure gauge and volt gauge wiring. They might be 5-10 bucks at auto parts. If it is bearing issue or charging issue then no, it has to come out to be rebuilt or replaced. Mine has been making the noise I hear under load since it was new and there have been no other issues and no erratic charging levels so it'll stay put until it does anything weird.

I went to a garage where they hooked a meter up to the battery with the car running in neutral, ac on, etc and it was saying 13 to 13.6 He said that was low and that the alternator is failing. He said it should be over 14 and it needs replacement
Sound right?
Would a failing alternator cause a bit of trouble starting the car? It occasionally has trouble starting intermittently. It does start but sometimes it takes a few extra cranks. He also tested the battery and that was fine he said.
Thanks again

So should that he pumping out 14.7 when the car is running in neutral with ac on.. Lights on, etc?
Ice been trying to learn about this stuff in the last few days and I've read that having 13v with the car on and lights on is acceptable.... Yet the mechanic said it isn't.
The noise I hear is always there.. Just louder when I give it gas and get the rpms up. It doesn't get louder if I just turn on more things light headlights, ac.

I really don't have $350 to replace this alternator if it isn't bad. Does it sounds to you guys that this thing should be replaced?

Back