New Owner of 2014 CX-9 Sport AWD Key Question

:
2014 CX-9 Sport AWD & 1991 Miata MX-5 SE
So we finally broke down (figuratively) and replaced our 14 year old Honda Accord and I convinced my wife to get a 7 passenger to deal with 4 kids. Along with My 1991 Miata I now own the smallest and largest passenger vehicles Mazda makes.

The CX-9 is the nicest car I've ever owned! I've really enjoyed the first 1k miles. We put in an OEM cargo protector which does a nice job at covering the back of the third row when it is down. We put in a weather tech floor mats in the rest of the car, with two 6 year-olds and two 3 year-olds, I hope they hold up.

I'm going to add some aftermarket backup sensors and maybe in a year or two add the backup camera.

My question:

I need a couple of extra keys, does anyone know the key code for the flip key/non remote keys? Can I use a key without a remote to unlock the car without setting off the alarm? On my accord I cannot so I don't want to buy a couple of non-flip keys if they won't work. I understand keys have to be dealer/locksmith programmed is that correct? Does anyone have/use a key fob cover with a flip key? I've seen some on Ebay and I'm not sure how well they stay attached having a slit down the side.

Thanks for any and all help!

Dr.Bones

Congrats on the new CX-9! Did you get your "Mazda Loyalty" rebate for being an existing Mazda owner? It was worth $500 in July and then it bumped up to $750 in August. Haven't looked to see if it's still being offered lately.

Just bought a 14 GT back in July. It came with this style "smart" key.

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-22%20at%208.24.59%20PM.png

On this setup, there is a chip in the key itself for the immobilizer, and then a separate chip for the remote. I can't swear to it, but I believe you can use a simple ignition key (without remote) to come and go from the car.

I was able to program both of these. I bought a pair of OEM uncut keys with chips on eBay and then picked up a used remote.

I also picked up a pair of silicone skins for the FOB... one green one black... on eBay - shipped from china and quality was very nice. Fits snuggly. Although not very thick, it does add some heft to FOB. The silicone makes is a little tougher sliding out of blue jean pockets. Non-issue for looser slacks or a women's purse. Here the lime green one. Can't speak to the flip keys but thought I'd share this anyway.

IMG_6887-M.jpg

The key style above does not get along well with the cartridge style key cutters at the big box stores. It actually got stuck and it took about 15 minutes and a hammer to get it out. Took it to ACE hardware where they have the old fashion style machines and had it cut with no problem. If you end up getting a normal style key, then you can probably get it cut anywhere. Also, they will be much cheaper to buy online than at the big box stores. I think around $70 is the standard price for transponder keys.

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-22%20at%208.42.30%20PM.png

I also installed the factory remote start. Pretty much plug and play, save for a few wire taps and mounting a hood switch to the underside of the hood.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Scotch3!

We bought the Sport version, our budget didn't allow for a GT so we have the flip key rather than the smart key. The transponder key you are showing is just what we are looking for, I haven't found the key code/Part number for it yet so I'm hesitant to buy one on ebay or amazon without verifying the detail.

It is interesting you mentioned the remote start, I was looking at the kit online for around $315. Does the remote start use the factory key/smart key remote or require an additional remote?

I have a quote from a reputable local shop to put in a remote start with remotes that lock/unlock for about $260. If I can get a couple of extra remotes and a couple of extra keys I'd have four keys with remotes to access the car (which is good for our two additional drivers).

I'm installing some back up sensors this week and I'm thinking of installing an electromagnetic sensor for the front for parking which is manually turned on by switch. I'll try to take some pictures and post them of the project.

Dr. Bones

The factory remote start comes with a separate remote.... 2 of them to be specific. That is one down side, but they are pretty small though. One other quirk about the system is this. After you start the car with the remote, the car has to be shut down before you drive it. So as soon as you put your foot on the brake, it shuts down and then you have to restart it. I think this a security design so that somebody doesn't smash the window on your car and drive away while it's warming up... or cooling off here in Florida. Just leave the climate control system in the position you want it when you leave the car.

Also, one other less than ideal feature is the antenna for the remote start system. In order to maximize the range, Mazda has you mount it just above and to the right of the rearview mirror. It looks rather "aftermarkety" that way. I think you are supposed to get nearly 800 feet of range. However, for our purposes, starting the car after sitting in the sun all afternoon at work, we only needed about 150 feet of range. So I installed the antenna under the dash... confident that the signal would get through the short range we needed. If it didn't, then I could always move it up to the windshield. Well, it worked fine. I drove to to a large empty parking lot and tested it by pacing off in 50' increments to see what kind of range it got. I think it was around 350' front in front of the car and around 250' from behind. This parking lot was empty so more cars in-between might have reduced this performance, but probably not much. Anyhow, it works fine for our purposes and is out of sight.

$260 installed sounds hard to beat. My only reservation would be that if you ever had any warranty issues with something electronic on the car, you might have to go to the mat with the dealer if they start pointing fingers. Doubtful you'll ever have any issues if you're using a good shop. I know there is some really cool stuff out there. DEI, makers of Python and Viper, have some systems that work with your smart phone. So that would be really cool as well... but expensive.

I've got a slew of pics from the remote start install, but haven't had the time to make a write up yet. If you end up going with the factory system, let me know and if I haven't made a write up by then, I can email them to you with lots of tips.

EDIT: Here is a pic I found online of the factory remote start remotes.... pretty small.

%24_57-5-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back