Hello! And Meet my Car

TSKendrick

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey there, been browsing the forums for a bit since I got my new (to me) car, and figured I should actually sign up and make an introduction.

About a month ago I picked up an '03 Protege 5 from the dealership I work at with 151K on it, motor only has 60K though as it used to be a shop car and the previous owner blew up the built motor in it. As far as mods go, its got an intake, catless header, Magnaflow exhaust, Yellow Racing coilovers, Megan Racing trailing arms and adjustable rear control arms, front and rear strut brace, interior ripped out of a mazdaspeed protege (yellow stitching to match :D), and I think the front bumper might be off of the mazdaspeed but I'm not sure. Also has 17" Racinghart wheels, HID conversion and I threw a Kenwood head unit in there.

This is about how it looks right now.

2014-09-19.jpg

As this car is going to be used mainly as a daily driver and a weekend autocross car, It won't become a giant project car, although theres still a few things I'd like to do to it.
- Tint windows, probably 30% all around
- Short shifter, current throw is waaaaaaay to long.
- Vinyl wrap hood black (some people have told me this would look a bit too rice, but I like how they look with black hoods)
- And not right away, but in a few years maybe I'd like to try doing a higher horsepower naturally aspirated build with it, but we'll see.

One thing wrong with it though is the steering wheel sometimes centers to the left, never to the right, and when you start the car its usually straight. Doesn't happen until you make a couple left turns. Some people said might be the steering rack moving around, but not sure. Anybody who's had a similar issue?

Anyway, happy to have joined the Protege owners, I've been having a lot of fun with it even though its not all that quick of a car.

- Cheers
Tristan

Looks to be pretty tastefully modded just as it is. Nice. Making me wish I'd gotten the yellow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rear seats look similar but don't have the yellow stitching, not sure if they're out of the MSP or not

I don't care for external mods and those look pretty nice to me. The only two I've done on mine are the shorter antenna that you've already done and to remove the crossbars on the roof rack and fill the resulting "holes" with the factory blanks. (If you have a sunroof, this will supposedly make the car a little quieter on the highway as well.) Both those "mods" updated the look of the car (made it look like it was made a couple years later than it was) but it still looks like it came that way from the factory. You've already got the right idea on the window tint: same percentage in the back seat as in the front. Don't go darker in the back seats, even if the law allows, since that does not look as good. I got that advice from my tint place, and they were right. They did say I might want to go darker on the *hatch* window to cut down on headlight glare, and I did do that.

man making me jealous wish i could afford new upholstery my car had no tint and was in the texas sun most of its life, parts of the seats and the doors are faded pretty bad. yours looks great though, post some engine pics we would like to see the mods. and the steering issue sounds to me like a loose rack or maybe a cv axle having an issue

Yeah, previous owner worked at a body shop so he took good care of it cosmetically. I'll get some motor pics on lunch break

Thanks, no I haven't named it yet, although I guess I should come up with something. Gonna have to spend some quality time and see what sounds good. Maybe Amber?

Also found out she was eating a ton of oil, went through 2.5 quarts in around 500 miles, ordered a new PCV valve, should be here Thursday, hopefully that fixes it, as I don't feel like having to have the car torn apart already. Would also explain the rough running at idle.

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of the rear seats for me? Try to get the headrest in the picture.

I too have a yellow, one and Love the car, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the pics.

The P5 has removable rear headrests, I am guessing the previous owner took the seats from the sedan to make these fit.

Back