Automatic Headlight Hack?

pearlbeer

:
2011 CX-9
I have a 2011 CX-9 AWD. The headlights are not automatic. If possible, I would like to leave the headlights on all the time while the car is running. So headlights would go on/off with the engine.

Anyone know how to rig this to happen?

Even without auto headlights, they don't automatically turn off when the car turns off (don't all cars have this feature by now)? Because, if they do, just leave them in the ON position.

Even without auto headlights, they don't automatically turn off when the car turns off (don't all cars have this feature by now)? Because, if they do, just leave them in the ON position.

As far as I can tell, they do NOT shut off when the cars shuts off :(

I am confused.
My CX9 has auto headlight. It shuts off after 30 seconds when engine is off.

I am confused.
My CX9 has auto headlight. It shuts off after 30 seconds when engine is off.

I think the OP has Auto headlights as well, but he wants them to be ON all the time.

When you set it to Auto, don't they come on when they sense it's starting to get dark, and then shut off during the sun light?

Last, if you set them to ON, I don't think they'll shut off automatically. I think you have to manually put them at Auto or Off.

I could be all wrong though, I don't drive the CX9 that much.

To clear this up, I have the 2011 CX9 Sport version. I do not have Auto Headlights. However, I would like to just keep my headlights on all of the time, when the car is on. When turned on manually, the headlights do not shut off when the car is turned off. Looking for a way around this.

Strange, with the technology today, you'd think they would just shut off.

I have a 2010 touring ... no auto head lights ... if I leave the head lights on and turn off the engine / lock the car .. the lights go out .. after about 30 seconds or so.

30 seconds is what you need to wait.
That is the accessory power delay - 30 seconds.
Within this period of time, you still can control power windows, etc.

The same goes for headlights.
Auto-headlight or not.
It shuts off after 30 seconds.
Just leave it at ON position.

They seem to stay on...let them there for about 5mins

30 seconds is what you need to wait.
That is the accessory power delay - 30 seconds.
Within this period of time, you still can control power windows, etc.

The same goes for headlights.
Auto-headlight or not.
It shuts off after 30 seconds.
Just leave it at ON position.

Anyone have a Sport that can verify for the OP?

^
My car cx9 doesnt have to be locked or anything for the lights to shut off automatically. And they definitely do shut off after like 30 sec's on there own. Got the joy of playing round with them this past weekend when i installed HID's.

My 2011 Sport does not seem to automatically shut off. Locking the car does not help. Lights stay on.

Unfortunately, the manual says "if equipped" which offers no knowledge of whether or not the base level Sport has it.... Maybe an original feature list?

2011_CX-9_LightControl_zpsf1b4c0fc.jpg

It must be a Touring/Grand Touring thing. Weird they would leave such a basic option out of the lower end though. I mean hell, my other 8 year old Mazda, and my Kia even do it.

Back