Dumb Guy needs help installing Oil Catch Can

surfninjas

Contributor
:
03 mazda protege 5 automatic
1. doing it for longevity. no turbo. just an auto daily driver.
2. i am very much a visual learner
3. ive searched through a ton of threads here and elsewhere (this is where being dumb comes into play) and am still uncertain
4. i can change the s*** out of my oil, replace the radiator, replace headlights, change a flat, etc...a basic b****.

a lot of threads ive searched online are 3-8 years old and the pics are no longer hosted.

just talk to me like a dumb baby. i am the terrible combination of not knowing much about cars and wanting to be as precise as possible.

i have the simota oil catch can. i know this cant be very difficult, but alas, i am dumb.
DSCN1007.JPG

ive had this car for 2 years and would love to keep it for a long time, to learn enough to call myself a decent shadetree mechanic.

and one last thing: what the hell happened to the sticky that had the repair manual and tsbs???? old computer died and i dont have a backup

Last edited:
so how do i connect the occ hose to the pcv (i assume im getting rid of the pcv valve)? the forked hose for the pcv is confusing me.

IMG_20140920_221705_zpse0978f6_edit_1411278245941_zps8hqfxm91.jpg

not sure what im doing here. i believe one of these hoses is supposed to connect to the occ as well. or is the 1 hose that came with the occ not enough?
IMG_20140920_222020_zpseb43a46_edit_1411278321951_zpstajnohxf.jpg

Last edited:
you are not getting rid of the pcv valve, first figure out which is the inlet and which is outlet on the catch can, all you are going to do is remove the L shaped line coming off the pcv valve that connects to that T fitting, then you connect a piece of hose from the pcv valve to the inlet side of the catch can and the other piece of hose from the outlet side to that T fitting and you're done. As far as the hose coming off the side of the valve cover I have a small crankcase breather filter you can do the same you would just need to install a vacuum cap on the intake hose when its removed.

you are not getting rid of the pcv valve, first figure out which is the inlet and which is outlet on the catch can, all you are going to do is remove the L shaped line coming off the pcv valve that connects to that T fitting, then you connect a piece of hose from the pcv valve to the inlet side of the catch can and the other piece of hose from the outlet side to that T fitting and you're done. As far as the hose coming off the side of the valve cover I have a small crankcase breather filter you can do the same you would just need to install a vacuum cap on the intake hose when its removed.

thank you for helping me out.

just to verify:
this t-fitting outlet will connect to the outlet of the occ
IMG_20140921_131841_zpsnvlsayp_edit_1411331303653_zpskozfis2w.jpg

and the pcv valve should be connected to the occ inlet like
IMG_20140921_131834_zpsylrz847_edit_1411331354706_zpsndyb82hw.jpg

if my only goal is to not get oil sucked in, can i just leave the valve cover alone? i dont think breathers are carb/california legal.

off to go buy some teflon tape, and pcv hose to connect the outlet.

my god, thats ridiculously simple routing.

yup connection is good so far, my advice is for a more stealth look get black hoses and replace the blue, and some slight oil will still get into your intake through the valve cover hose, and if your worried about cali rules, just install the hose back when you go for inspection

hey if someone could explain this to me.... does the other hose go onto the t fitting? and then you just disconnect the breather hose and put a filter there? what about the breather end on the intake?

hey if someone could explain this to me.... does the other hose go onto the t fitting? and then you just disconnect the breather hose and put a filter there? what about the breather end on the intake?

Yes. The catch can just goes between the PCV and the intake.

That breather hose is the fresh air inlet, no need to do anything with that, no oil comes through there. If you want to put a filter on it, that's fine, but make sure you plug the hole in the intake tube.

Back