Anyone replace their front brake pads?

DrWebster

:
2013 Mazda 2 Touring
The front pads on our 2011 are going to be due for replacement soon. I assume that they're as straightforward as any other Mazda disc brakes, but to make sure, has anyone replaced theirs? Easy job or not?

Super easy, I'd rate it on part with installing rear springs. Hardest part is getting the pads back in and not crooked. (rofl2)

I want to get the Corksport pads for both our 2's. To change the pads on the 2 it's super easy, take your time and drink a beer while doing it. Should be 1 beer per side lol

I use a small block of wood and a rubber band to block the piston from coming out while I inspect the rotors and other parts of the suspension. I'm paranoid I know but getting the piston back inside the Caliper is a fckin pain in the a$$!!!

I found some rotors for 33$ each at Canadian Tires, I may get a set to see how good they are.

Over the years, I've learned there is a difference in steel. My dad was an old-school machinist. Pay more for a good grade of steel that won't warp under heat.

As far as pads go these are pretty easy to do. There are no crazy clips to fit back in while you are holding something else in place like some of the earlier proteges.

Derrick

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to remember to take pictures when I get around to doing the pad replacement so I can do a write-up. Already have a set of OEM pads (a guy I know at the dealer gave them to me, they were taken off of a new 2 that got turned into a dedicated autocross car), and the rotors look and feel fine.

Anyone use Greenstuff pads?

me :) had them on for 500 miles or so now. Went for a spirited drive of 25 miles on twisty, hilly, uneven and in some parts fast Scottish B roads yesterday and they were excellent. No brake fade (which I've had before on the same road, very scary!), stopping power is strong. Not 'omg my eyes are going to pop out' strong but good enough to give you confidence.

OK, so two things:

1. I'm an idiot. Got in there to swap the pads and as soon as I got the caliper swung out of the way...I realized that the pads are maybe only 30% worn. I can easily get another 30k out of them. I guess I just underestimated how much pad was left when looking through the wheel at the little gap between the caliper and caliper bracket.

2. A question, though. The pads are held into the bracket with a shim kit. How am I supposed to get the pads out? (Never had to deal with disc brakes that have shim kits; on my Mazda3, the pads actually clipped to the caliper itself.)

2. A question, though. The pads are held into the bracket with a shim kit. How am I supposed to get the pads out? (Never had to deal with disc brakes that have shim kits; on my Mazda3, the pads actually clipped to the caliper itself.)

According to the corksport pad instructions you remove the backing(shim?) plate along with the pad, and transfer that plate to the new pads.

Getting the pads out? The little clips around it, depress those out of the way, and the pads should slide right out. Installation is the opposite, though I found getting them back in was probably the hardest part of the installation. (lol2)

I run Hawk HPS (hawk prt# HB668F.567) and they are AWESOME....and some braided stainless brake lines and it's amazing. pad change was as easy as any other disc brakes.

Back