power steering

:
2003 protege 5
Hi Im having power steering problems ,the pump is leaking somewhere ,I see oil below it but cant seem to locate the area where its coming from.It had been making a whining noise as I accelerated for now I disconnected it, took the belt off.I drove car with the noise for some time may have burnt it out.How can I tell if its damaged or not. Thanks Alex

Whining noise as you accelerates tell me it is the pump.
Replace it.

Bleed by jacking the front end and with engine running cycle the steering wheel slowly back and forth stop-to-stop...

Whining noise as you accelerates tell me it is the pump.
Replace it.

Bleed by jacking the front end and with engine running cycle the steering wheel slowly back and forth stop-to-stop...
It could simply be fluid cavitation......

just to add to this I replaced the power steering belt a while back and it was slipping making a high pitched noise but it stopped after a while ,so it probably was slipping all along that contributed to the possible failure of the pump.I added what I thought was power steering fluid(actually I mistakenly bought AFT repair fluid ) and the pump noise stopped until it leaked out again in a short time.The fluid that is leaking doesn't seem to be coming from the pump itself but lower down near the rad and laying on the plastic shield. Thanks P-Funk! ,I was hoping it wasn't the pump itself but just a leak ,I'm hoping your wrong. Preferio I don't know what fluid cavitation is ,thanks though.Can the pump be repaired if its the problem with a repair kit from rock auto

Last edited:
Try using fluorescent dye, pour in steering tank run for a day and check back again with a black light to find the source

I had a leak in the power steering cooler hose last fall. The power steering suddenly stopped working when I was turning into a parking lot and I almost hit another car. I had to take the bumper off to get at it. I didn't want to spend the money for a new hose so I patched it with some epoxy metal patch. I'm not sure how long the patch will last but it has held up for the past 10 months.

I tried leak stop fluid but it only slowed the leak.

Last edited:
Yeah, okay.
You need to do some troubleshooting before you replace parts.
A slipping belt won't cause the pump to fail.
A pump that has run dry (fluid cools and lubricates it) and makes noise even when full of fluid is bad and should be replaced.

To find the leak:
Jack and put car on jackstands. Chock the rear wheels.
Remove the bottom tray and thoroughly clean the engine and bay with degreaser. Rag it dry. Real clean.

Service the pump reservoir and start the car to rotate steering full left and right. Look for the leak and report back.

Could be a pump, lines, or the rack. Or something else entirely. Whatever you change - when you service the reservoir thoroughly flush the fluid and replace with new.

haven't been able to do all that you have said yet but I was looking at the situation tday and from what I could see is that the leak is coming from the radiator area ,I don't see any oil anywhere else from pump and lines that come from the pump, so I think that its the rad that cools the fluid if it uses a rad to cool the fluid . So does anyone know if it can be repaired. thanks

Last edited:
well Im pretty sure that its the line goes in front of the AC radiator but my problem is to get it out. Do I have to take of the grill to be able to get that line out . Why does it go into that area it doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell and how do you get that grill off the one in front of the bumper that is

Last edited:
P/S does not have cooler (IIRC).

So is your automatic trans cooler leaking perhaps?

-baffled. [shrug]

P/S does not have cooler (IIRC).

So is your automatic trans cooler leaking perhaps?

-baffled. [shrug]

No the trans is not leaking its the line that goes from the power steer container to the front of the car behind front bumper ,it loops there and goes back to the power steering pump or the rack,the problem is I have to get it out to access it or replace it but its a pain,just trying to ask whats the best and easiest way to do it

I tried for a while to get at it without removing the bumper but it was too tight in there to get the pipe out ... you have to wiggle/turn the pipe in different angles to get it through the hole beside the rad.

Last edited:
I tried for a while to get at it without removing the bumper but it was too tight in there to get the pipe out ... you have to wiggle/turn the pipe in different angles to get it through the hole beside the rad.

thanks for help

which way does it come out towards the engine or through the front grill?

forget question I got it out had to loosen the engine rad and trans cooler and wiggle it out, its not easy, it came out from the front

Anyone know where I can get a new one in the Toronto GTA area, thanks

Last edited:
Well I hooked the pump back up without the cooler pipe and it works fine, I have no idea why its there in the first place ,but its pretty rusted and leaking somewhere, the two rubber hoses that it attaches too can be hooked up to the pump and fluid container with no problem for those who will be having this problem soon The steering will work fine as far as I know the cooler pipe is not needed unless a knowledgeable person on here can give me a good reason why its needed. Thanks

Back