Built a rear motor mount

flatlander937

:
'11 Mazda2 Sport
Been waiting a few weeks to post this here, I wanted to make sure it all worked out fine, basically I built a rear motor mount using some poly bushings and some DOM tubing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of the welding slag cleaned off, painted and drying:

attachment.php

And installed:

attachment.php

First impressions: Holy crap I need to remove this thing. It vibrates like holy hell for the first 10-20 miles or so. Then it has gradually smoothed out over the following week and it's been about the same since then. I've had it in for roughly 2 weeks now. You get some minor vibrations at certain speeds/rpms cruising, nothing downright horrible. And you feel it a bit when letting out the clutch taking off in first gear. This is by far the biggest difference though: You can actually smoothly feather the clutch to take off, since the whole engine/trans isn't moving 3 nautical miles before it starts applying force to the wheels.

The only thing I was a bit unsure about was the inner bolt sleeves... we have 10mm bolts holding our torque mounts in, finding tubing with a 10mm ID(0.394 IIRC) and an OD of 0.75"(needed to fit the poly bushings properly) is nothing short of impossible. So I did what some OEM manufacturers do and just used oversized bolt sleeves, they are 0.50" ID... so there is about 1/8" of play in each bolt sleeve, which doesn't matter once it's bolted together tight. It's just critical that the sleeve ends are flat and square, and they are very close in OAL compared to the original mounts so as to not stress the brackets, especially the aluminum transmission side bracket. DSMs, many Hyundais, a lot of Chrysler vehicles are all set up with huge holes in the mount brackets and smaller bolts. This can also be an advantage in preloading the engine/trans so it does not vibrate as badly at idle. With 1/8" of play in each bolt hole, you can shift the engine forward/back by about 1/4" to mess with preload. I haven't gotten to the point of playing with that yet, as my vibrations settled down considerably so I'm not too worried about it at this point. Mine is the same length as the stock mount and can be pushed forward/back 1/8" or so, set with the engine pushed forward as far as possible(because when accellerating that's the way it will move, so this eliminates as much possiblity of slipping. May fiddle with it more in the future.

Next up I have a few feet of Acetal Delrin which I'm going to play around with for making some basically solid mounts. Probably won't be bearable for daily driving, but great if you track your car or are srs bzns about autocross.

Last edited:
Hi hi hi I got the 70 duro and it's perfect for DD but on the Speed3 I had the 80 duro and the vibs was more present.

Your prob at 88-90 duro lol

Hi hi hi I got the 70 duro and it's perfect for DD but on the Speed3 I had the 80 duro and the vibs was more present.

Your prob at 88-90 duro lol

I'm guessing these are about 70a, they are energy suspension bushings. I don't have the delrin made up yet, those will be more like 90d on the durometer scale.

Fantastic. Nice looking welds. can't wait to see the rest of the mounts. We put almost solids in my buddies EG coupe we co drove in SM back some years ago. Drove it to Ohio and back for the Pro in 03, SRS BZNS wasn't even close, it was insanity. I couldnt see straight for 2 days afterwards.

Well it looks almost exactly to my AWR. Good job bud ;)

Thanks!

Fantastic. Nice looking welds. can't wait to see the rest of the mounts. We put almost solids in my buddies EG coupe we co drove in SM back some years ago. Drove it to Ohio and back for the Pro in 03, SRS BZNS wasn't even close, it was insanity. I couldnt see straight for 2 days afterwards.

Oh I'm sure. What I'm curious about is using delrin on one end and poly on the other. It should cut flex in half, but would it make vibrations downright hellacious? I'm guessing so but I'll do it to see.

I'm wanting to take a 3x3x8" length of solid delrin and machine it to accept the poly bushings. Only metal in the mount would be the bolt sleeves. Its nearly $90 just for the delrin brick though, but many OEMS are using plastics for engine mounts, would be something to play with. Main benefit would be near zero tooling wear and tear, and no welding needed.

Thanks!

Oh I'm sure. What I'm curious about is using delrin on one end and poly on the other. It should cut flex in half, but would it make vibrations downright hellacious? I'm guessing so but I'll do it to see.

I'm wanting to take a 3x3x8" length of solid delrin and machine it to accept the poly bushings. Only metal in the mount would be the bolt sleeves. Its nearly $90 just for the delrin brick though, but many OEMS are using plastics for engine mounts, would be something to play with. Main benefit would be near zero tooling wear and tear, and no welding needed.

We bought cut offs on eBay. I think for a 4" round cutoff 6" long Steve spent around $28 IIRC. Had them machined down in minutes. And zero cutting tool wear. it's plastic!

They are called delrin bar drop here's an example. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
You can actually smoothly feather the clutch to take off, since the whole engine/trans isn't moving 3 nautical miles before it starts applying force to the wheels.

(lol)

Great write-up! Our stock mounts really are soggy. Can't wait to install my modified mount with 70 duro.

Back