245/45/20 tires instead of stock size?

bolido

My 2011 CX-9 GT is at 33K miles and I'm starting to look at potential tires. Has anyone gone with 245/45/20 tires? There are a lot more choices and they are mostly designed for sedan/sports car rather than SUV. However, don't really care for the lower profile as the OEM 245/50 can be a bit firm at times.

Mainly looking at the shorter sidewall for the better tire choices. I realize the speedo will be slightly off. Anybody gone with 45's?

Have you thought about dropping down to 19" or 18" wheels, with a larger sidewall?

I'm not looking to get new wheels. I actually really like the look of the stock 20's.

Yeah, I realize that with 45 the ride should be firmer in theory, but with the improved vehicle dynamics it might be worth it. Just wanted to check if anybody had first hand experience.

Its not a theory. Shorter sidewall means less rubber to act as a dampener between you and the road. Its going to be rougher.

So you have to figure out what sounds more important to you, cheaper/more options for tires, but getting a rougher ride then you already like. Or going the opposite way, and getting a tire slightly Taller so your ride isnt as rough.

If the 45s improved handling and ride, the Mazda engineers would have developed the suspension around that size. They didn't. Unless you are just looking to have an impressive boulevard cruiser for Friday nights, I'd stick with what the Mazda folks selected.

If the 45s improved handling and ride, the Mazda engineers would have developed the suspension around that size. They didn't. Unless you are just looking to have an impressive boulevard cruiser for Friday nights, I'd stick with what the Mazda folks selected.

I don't agree with this. This is a family SUV first and foremost. There's just so much you can compromise in the name of good handling. They cannot, in a car like this, squeeze the absolute best handling possible out of it--it still has to be primarily a family hauler.

But--I'd still stick with the OEM size tires.

275/45/20 is a cheap size, and you get more sidewall. That is what we went with.

I was referring to the OP, as he was looking for cheaper sizes.

Stock 245 width should not stretch on the stock 20" wheels.

will 275/45/20 fit the factory wheel with no issues? No rubbing on full turn? I have been looking into this option and in need of tires really soon!

Back