Adjusting HID low beams for 2010

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
The low beams to our GT are slightly off. I thought it would be similar to the MS3 I used to have, but I don't see the adjustment screw. Any help appreciated.

Yeah. The adjuster makes both beams go up and down. The driver's side beam is noticeably higher than the passenger side.

I hate to say it but something isn't right with that car. I fear it was probably involved in a minor front end "incident"... have a body guy look over the car. There's no reason one light is out of aim. I don't think GTs have a manual adjustment (I could be wrong on that).

The lights have to be adjustable, it is FMVSS regulation that they be aim-able (the in cabin leveler doesn't count as aiming). I have a sport without in cabin adjustable lights and my aiming devices on the lamps look the same as pretty much every other headlight system I've seen, so Mazda didn't do anything weird here. So while I can't tell you where it it, I can pretty much guarantee that it is there somewhere. Look a little closer and I bet you'll find it.

I hate to say it but something isn't right with that car. I fear it was probably involved in a minor front end "incident"... have a body guy look over the car. There's no reason one light is out of aim. I don't think GTs have a manual adjustment (I could be wrong on that).

Car is clean. My MS3 had uneven low beams when I purchased it as well. Headlights can go out of alignment over time and as mileage increases. Is not out of ordinary.

The lights have to be adjustable, it is FMVSS regulation that they be aim-able (the in cabin leveler doesn't count as aiming).
that makes sense. There is no perfect fixture and it would need alignment. I spoke too soon as this is my first set of manual leveling HIDs and I've not looked at the housing. Come to think manual leveling is limited to vert axis and both servos move at the same rate :p

Headlights can go out of alignment over time and as mileage increases.
I have never heard of this. How does age/mileage cause a mechanical housings, which does not endure any physical forces or stress expect aero, go out of alignment (unless there is a product issue)? I'd like to know more if anyone can share details.

This may help, '07 Mz3 GT
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...OEM-HID-Headlight-Adjustment-Also-fog-light-s

Last edited:
I have never heard of this. How does age/mileage cause a mechanical housings, which does not endure any physical forces or stress expect aero, go out of alignment (unless there is a product issue)? I'd like to know more if anyone can share details.

Obvious things that throw headlights off alignment would be collision/replacement of headlights, suspension change, replacing tires, unequal tire pressure. But from my readings in the past, everyday use can cause this as well. A couple from a quick Google search:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/article-how-to-aim-headlights

Misaligned car headlights are not only a potential hazard for you, but for other drivers as well. Changes in ride height, vehicle load and tire size, or minor fender benders and everyday use can all cause your car headlights to lose their aim. Aiming automotive headlights is an easy task and is best performed when replacing headlight bulbs or lamps.

Another:

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/how-to-aim-your-headlights

There are several reasons that headlights lose their proper aim; one of the most common culprits is a collision that involves front-end damage, but the can also just lose their aim over time for other reasons (like repeatedly opening and closing the hood over time).

Unfortunately the links don't show up on my phone but the only remotely possible event is opening/closing your hood - really?? I don't buy that unless the car's front cross beam was designed where the light housing takes the blunt of the load, which I don't think anyone does.

Daniel Stern is the ultimate light reference source.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Unfortunately the links don't show up on my phone but the only remotely possible event is opening/closing your hood - really?? I don't buy that unless the car's front cross beam was designed where the light housing takes the blunt of the load, which I don't think anyone does.

Daniel Stern is the ultimate light reference source.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

On my previous MS3 and current P5, the beams got uneven over time from hood opening and closing due to the bulbs not being seated tightly. That's more of a design issue though.

Did a little more searching and pulled up an older thread I was part of on the Mazdaspeed forums. The back of the MS3 GT driver's headlight looks like this:

2du9xep.jpg

The nylon adjustment screw (bottom right) is for the in-cabin settings (1, 2, 3). The adjustment mechanism on the MZ5 has a hexagon looking screw on the end that's tan in color. I wasn't able to spin it that much so I stopped. I remember on my MS3 when I took the headlight off to bake it open, I found out that there were two screws underneath some nylon covers to adjust the beam vertically and horizontally. I can't seem to locate those on the MZ5 (pics below of MZ5 1st gen driver's side GT headlight).

$(KGrHqRHJDgFIr3IO95GBSMI5S3pSQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJBsFIm+9+y5FBSMI5()0K!~~60_57.JPG

Will have to take a closer look when I get home as my wife is driving it now. We sold her '02 Protege this morning, so the MZ5 is her primary vehicle and our family vehicle when the baby comes in January :)

Last edited:
Quick update: Looked at the headlights some more tonight and the other adjusting screw (covered by the whitish/clear nylon cap) is tucked way in there meaning that the bumper would have to be removed; take off the headlight, and then aim. However, I found that a 5mm socket is able to turn the tan hexagon adjustment screw. I previously tried a 5.5mm since that was the smallest I had. Went to Lowe's and picked up a 5mm for $2. Turn counterclockwise to aim the beam up; clockwise to go down.

And as an addendum to what was also discussed in this thread about the aim going out of alignment...according to Daniel Stern Lighting:

In addition to collision, headlight replacement, suspension changes, and uneven tire pressure... breakage or failure of headlamp mount/aim components can contribute misalignment of beam pattern. Also road vibration, given enough time, will tend to shake-rattle-and-roll the aim out of spec. And remember, they're not necessarily aimed correctly when new!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back